NBC Washington advocates following Buffalo model

They should look to copy the Bills — yes, the Bills — during their rebuild

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-should-look-copy-bills-yes-bills-during-their-rebuild

d so far, it's working well, as the Bills have reached the postseason two out of the three years under McDermott and Beane and just won 10 contests for the first time since 1999.

So, if the ******** want to model their rebuild after someone, Buffalo is a fit — especially considering how the former is already following in the latter's coach-centric approach.

Ron Rivera has been the Burgundy and Gold's head man for less than a month, but he's already drastically altered so much about Washington's operations. So far, Rivera's contributed to changes on the offensive and defensive coaching staffs, as well as the front office and training staff.

That's another aspect of McDermott and Beane's early success with the Bills. According to Skurski, they looked to move on from guys who were more focused on personal achievements, such as Sammy Watkins and LeSean McCoy, and add more selfless ones, like Frank Gore. 

"It is definitely a team-first approach with these guys," Skurski said. "There are not a lot of individuals on this team."

McCoy?  I agree about Sammy but not LeSean.  They moved on from selfish players early in process not later.  They moved on from him for mostly inactive T.J. Yeldon but that was not reason.

46 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-should-look-copy-bills-yes-bills-during-their-rebuild

McCoy?  I agree about Sammy but not LeSean.  They moved on from selfish players early in process not later.  They moved on from him for mostly inactive T.J. Yeldon but that was not reason.

if they thought shady was all in for the team he would’ve beat gore out. 

I think they were genuinely concerned about him mentoring DS if he was getting more touches

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

McCoy would have not been happy backing up Singletary 

• Like (+1) 3

It’s hopeless, it’s Snyderville, resistance is futile, this is likely the beginning of the end of River boat Ron’s career as a NFL head coach, working as a head coach there is a stain on any coaches resume while Snyder has been the owner, jmo.

Edited by Don Otreply

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Totally McCoy.  They were very concerned about mentorship or Devin.  I think they wanted a pure professional as his mentor.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Chaos said:

If you can simply copy a model why not the chiefs or ravens instead of the Bills?

The Chiefs were already pretty good when they drafted Mahomes. Not sure what kind of blueprint that is except for drafting a QB high. The Ravens have been successful during John Harbaugh's tenure as well. He’s got playoff appearances, wins and a worlds championship under his belt. Those teams were at most reloading, not rebuilding. The Bills were mired in a run of mediocrity dating back to the 2000 season. While some Bills fans may not want to admit it, McD and Beane have done a lot of things the right way. They are reshaping the Bills with a model designed for long term success. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Chaos said:

If you can simply copy a model why not the chiefs or ravens instead of the Bills?

Chiefs model:  hire a very good veteran HC and draft a QB (when you didn't really need one) who may be a generational talent

Ravens model:  keep a very good HC and get an OC who specializes in a game plan for a dynamic but limited QB

Do those sound easily copy-able?

Some of our "fans" love to critique Beane and McDermott, saying they "don't know anything about offense" and "the rebuild took too long" but those outside Bills fandom actually can see and appreciate the approach Buffalo has taken when they didn't have a proven HC or QB ready to go and had a lot of roster mess to clean up.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Trekking said:

McCoy would have not been happy backing up Singletary 

Maybe not. However, one could argue that McCoy may have ended up getting more carries than Singletary, the way that things played out this season. 

1 minute ago, eball said:

Chiefs model:  hire a very good veteran HC and draft a QB (when you didn't really need one) who may be a generational talent

Ravens model:  keep a very good HC and get an OC who specializes in a game plan for a dynamic but limited QB

Some of our "fans" love to critique Beane and McDermott, saying they "don't know anything about offense" and "the rebuild took too long" but those outside Bills fandom actually can see and appreciate the approach Buffalo has taken when they didn't have a proven HC ready to go and had a lot of roster mess to clean up.

Exactly. The Redskins are closer to where the Bills had been as a franchise than KC or Baltimore. The Ravens have designed a gimmicky offense in a college style around a style of QB that doesn’t have a history of long term NFL success. It’s not hard to see why the writer would specify the Bills as a repeatable model to follow. 

31 minutes ago, eball said:

Some of our "fans" love to critique Beane and McDermott, saying they "don't know anything about offense" and "the rebuild took too long" but those outside Bills fandom actually can see and appreciate the approach Buffalo has taken when they didn't have a proven HC or QB ready to go and had a lot of roster mess to clean up.

no one can copy what anyone else did. In this case Rivera is a head coach who has been to the super bowl.  Much different than a first time HC. So the redskins are already way off course. 

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

no one can copy what anyone else did. In this case Rivera is a head coach who has been to the super bowl.  Much different than a first time HC. So the redskins are already way off course. 

That’s not what it’s about, an experienced HC vs a first time etc. While no one can copy something else exactly,  the NFL has long been considered a “ copycat league “. Teams look to others for things that have worked. Anyway, you are missing the big picture by getting hung up on small specifics. What the Bills have done is eschewed egocentric , selfish players in favor of those who buy in to the team concept. They’ve cleaned up their cap situation, to set themselves up for long term success, rather than follow the often tried ( but rarely successful ) model of buying a championship. The Redskins come to mind as a franchise that has tried this in the past. It’s about changing how a franchise operates from the ground up, a change in corporate culture. It’s not about window - dressing type elements, such as “ hire a name HC that’s been to a Super Bowl”  and so on. 

• Like (+1) 1

More and more we are seeing HC hires and then they help with the GM search and ultimate hiring. It has worked for the Bills. Having two people on the same page in regards To  philosophy and approach is huge. I at first didn’t totally agree with it but I have come around. Coach comes in an interviews and describes what he wants to run and type of players etc. important for the GM to share the vision and belief, not just be told ‘go find me guys who fit a 3-4 or 4-3 defense’. 

8 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

More and more we are seeing HC hires and then they help with the GM search and ultimate hiring. It has worked for the Bills. Having two people on the same page in regards To  philosophy and approach is huge. I at first didn’t totally agree with it but I have come around. Coach comes in an interviews and describes what he wants to run and type of players etc. important for the GM to share the vision and belief, not just be told ‘go find me guys who fit a 3-4 or 4-3 defense’. 

While it can work, and has worked for the Bills I still view it as somewhat of a tactical error by the Pegulas. At best , they waited too long to dismiss Whaley once McD was hired. They really missed out on getting their QB earlier ( and a more NFL ready one at that) by doing this backwards. McDermott and Beane still may ultimately be a success, but Beane should have been in place before the 2017 draft. 

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

While it can work, and has worked for the Bills I still view it as somewhat of a tactical error by the Pegulas. At best , they waited too long to dismiss Whaley once McD was hired. They really missed out on getting their QB earlier ( and a more NFL ready one at that) by doing this backwards. McDermott and Beane still may ultimately be a success, but Beane should have been in place before the 2017 draft. 

I don’t think I agree totally on the premise that they missed out on their QB. I am sure you are going to say Mahomes or Watson, but neither of those QB’s has won a SB yet. I think that’s  Beane and McDermott’s goal.