What Did McDermott Mean By Saying “We Let Too Many Leaders Out of The Building” in Carolina

One line from McDermott’s press conference seemed to stick with me.  When asked about the past with Carolina, he said this:

“On of the things that happened when we came off the Super Bowl in Carolina was, lessons that we learned… we let too many of the leaders out of the building. Some of that happens with retirement and other reasons that come with age. But overall, that’s part of what I meant with keeping as much of this team in-tact as possible. Each year and each team is different, but you give yourself a better chance with the more that you keep a team in-tact.”

How do you interpret that quote?

To me, it says that he wants as many process guys on the team as possible.  And while fans may complain about the Frank Gores, Lee Smiths, and Patrick DiMarcos - I don’t think any of these players (sans Gore) are going anywhere.

The danger there of course, is that at times late in the season and playoffs Frank Gore was hurting this football team.  While he made many big contributions off the field (most with Singletary), there were times that many of us groaned  each time he slammed into the pile for a 1 yard gain on 1st and 10.  Gore reminds me of another process guy Mike “Pooh Bear” Tolbert.    

I think the larger point is that he wants to keep this team together, but to what extent? Clearly he can’t keep everyone and there are some positions that need upgrades.  What do you make of his speech?

12 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

One line from McDermott’s press conference seemed to stick with me.  When asked about the past with Carolina, he said this:

“On of the things that happened when we came off the Super Bowl in Carolina was, lessons that we learned… we let too many of the leaders out of the building. Some of that happens with retirement and other reasons that come with age. But overall, that’s part of what I meant with keeping as much of this team in-tact as possible. Each year and each team is different, but you give yourself a better chance with the more that you keep a team in-tact.”

To me, it says that he wants as many process guys on the team as possible.  And while fans may complain about the Frank Gores, Lee Smiths, and Patrick DiMarcos - I don’t think any of these players (sans Gore) are going anywhere.

The danger there of course, is that at times late in the season and playoffs Frank Gore was hurting this football team.  While he made many big contributions off the field (most with Singletary), there were times that many of us groaned  each time he slammed into the pile for a 1 yard gain on 1st and 10.  Gore reminds me of another process guy Mike “Pooh Bear” Tolbert.    

I think the larger point is that he wants to keep this team together, but to what extent? Clearly he can’t keep everyone and there are some positions that need upgrades.  What do you make of his speech?

I think it means that the folks posting stuff about all the cuts and surprise cuts we're going to see to save cap room and hire 3 big splashy FA are gonna be hella sad in March.

I think it means just what he said - they try to have vet players in every room who interpret the coach's message for the team but who may not be the best players on the team or the best players available.   McDermott wants Beane to make a push to sign FA's like Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips (and/or Corey Liuget, if he thinks he's contributed and shown leadership).  I think it means he expects to keep guys who are under contract like DiMarco and Roberts (for ST) and Smith around.  The only way he cuts those guys is if they bring in a veteran who seems to bring what he regards as equivalent leadership.

There are some guys like 'Zo who have retired and others like Gore who really should retire.    That's what he means by "some of that happens with retirement and other reasons that come with age"

Don't expect him to be going along with cutting or trading any proven veterans like Poyer because we have promising youngsters, before he sees that those youngsters have indeed stepped up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

Gore is done. But to your point I believe he means he thought they had the young guys to step up and replace what they lost (I believe Norman,Tillman, Finnegan their whole CB’s!!!) but they weren’t up to the task.  That’s why they took the step back they did the following year 

Yeah. I'm sure they're going to lock up Hyde and Poyer and make them retire Bills. I wonder if we see matching extensions this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

Not resigning Josh Norman comes to mind as Carolina's defense regressed from 6th to 26th under McDermott when he left.  That wasn't the sole reason but it's what he could be referencing.  Maybe they try and lock up Tre White this offseason.

• Like (+1) 4

I think the Bills already have young leaders in Allen and Tre and Edmunds so the issue is moot. I really don’t think this team needs to carry guys just for veteran leadership anymore. They did this season and maybe those guys like Gore and Lorax did steward the young talent to what they accomplished. Now they know. And now it’s time. Losing those vets shouldn’t hurt the team at all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Not resigning Josh Norman comes to mind as Carolina's defense regressed from 6th to 26th under McDermott when he left.  That wasn't the sole reason but it's what he could be referencing.  Maybe they try and lock up Tre White this offseason.

That was my thought at the time.  I don't think big money deals like Smith and DiMarco would have been on the top of his list.

• Like (+1) 1

I think in order to interpret McD's remark about Carolina one would need to look specifically at the roster changes from the Super Bowl year to the next and then see what conclusions might be drawn.  I'm not willing to do that but it seems like the logical place to start.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

What process are Smith and DiMarco contributing to on Offense?  Having "good guys" and "leaders" is fine, but they don't produce any value in games.  

This offense has scored 301, 269 and 314 points over the past 3 seasons.  

Lee Smith goes to dinner with guys and stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it means that the folks posting stuff about all the cuts and surprise cuts we're going to see to save cap room and hire 3 big splashy FA are gonna be hella sad in March.

I think it means just what he said - they try to have vet players in every room who interpret the coach's message for the team but who may not be the best players on the team or the best players available.   McDermott wants Beane to make a push to sign FA's like Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips (and/or Corey Liuget, if he thinks he's contributed and shown leadership).  I think it means he expects to keep guys who are under contract like DiMarco and Roberts (for ST) and Smith around.  The only way he cuts those guys is if they bring in a veteran who seems to bring what he regards as equivalent leadership.

There are some guys like 'Zo who have retired and others like Gore who really should retire.    That's what he means by "some of that happens with retirement and other reasons that come with age"

Don't expect him to be going along with cutting or trading any proven veterans like Poyer because we have promising youngsters, before he sees that those youngsters have indeed stepped up.

This ^^^ 

8 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

The problem with that comment is that team went to the Super Bowl and his team has not even won a playoff game so we don't have the talent at this point.  You need to gas loser players like Kroft/Muphy/Dimarco/Lee Smith.  These are Sean type of players,  good guys with zero talent and not going to help you win against good teams.

Sign a couple of high end free agents and win some playoff games,  right the Bills are a team that had very easy schedule and still needs show they can beat playoff good teams.  

8 minutes ago, papazoid said:

leaders  = process guys

that means they are worth paying  a little extra.. .

having said that...this is a cold ruthless business

gore, lee smith and dimarco are all gone !!... deservedly so

Yes i agree,  Sean needs to look at the teams they beat this season and the teams they lost to.  He needs better talent to beat the better teams.  

• Like (+1) 2

It will be interesting to see how this translates to free agency. McBeane may decide they would rather overpay guys like Shaq and Phillps in order to preserve continuity of leadership as well as scheme. If you think about it, that continuity does have value beyond what a new guy could bring at a lower salary.

You might save a few million bringing in guys with lower price tags, but then you're rolling the dice on whether or not they fit. The same could be said of marquis free agents, too - they don't always pan out. You know exactly what you're getting from the guys on your team, and that's worth a lot. 

• Like (+1) 2