Will we pay Poyer or won't we?

Will Mcbeane give Poyer the money he's earned?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mcbeane give Poyer the money he's earned?

• Yes
    • No

poyer outperformed his current contract

regarding the next contract.....who cares...so what....should have no bearing on how you grade him going forward.

i thought he took a step back in 2019 vs both 2017&2018

i would play it out and only extend early on a team friendly deal.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, papazoid said:

poyer outperformed his current contract

regarding the next contract.....who cares...so what....should have no bearing on how you grade him going forward.

i thought he took a step back in 2019 vs both 2017&2018

i would play it out and only extend early on a team friendly deal.

Completely agree.

The nature of the business is that you get paid for what the team thinks you will be worth, not based on over performing your current deal.

He looks to be showing signs of decline to me also, so I'd be hesitant to do much for him besides a team friendly deal with maybe more guaranteed money and a slight increase in salary.

To me, there are certain positions you just can't overpay, and Safety is one of them.... especially when you have McDermott at HC who is a secondary wizard. 

With Hyde and Poyer, you certainly cant be out here paying two Safeties big money.  If they agree to modest bumps in pay, that's one thing, but I highly doubt that.

I like the approach at CB opposite Tre, which seems to be rookie deal corners and one-year-contract vets fighting it out.  I'd probably take that approach at Safety, next to Hyde. 

Even the Jets, with Jamal Adams, seem to struggling internally with how to handle the position/contract.

• Like (+1) 1

I predict the Poyer Situation might get ugly.

Both Hyde and Poyer were late round picks, considered roster bubble corner talent and then played as depth/fringe players in other systems.  Their former teams didn’t seem to try to re-up at bargain contract prices. 

McDermott picked them both up around the same time and plugged them in to a defense where they have thrived. 

the harsh reality is there are probably 5-10 other guys now and every year, that are fringe corner talents in the wrong system that could move to safety on a cheap contract in Sean’s D and do well. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

To me, there are certain positions you just can't overpay, and Safety is one of them.... especially when you have McDermott at HC who is a secondary wizard. 

With Hyde and Poyer, you certainly cant be out here paying two Safeties big money.  If they agree to modest bumps in pay, that's one thing, but I highly doubt that.

I like the approach at CB opposite Tre, which seems to be rookie deal corners and one-year-contract vets fighting it out.  I'd probably take that approach at Safety, next to Hyde. 

Even the Jets, with Jamal Adams, seem to struggling internally with how to handle the position/contract.

Exactly.  Poyer's a nice player, but should not be high on the list of guys who get a big contract.   The fact that he's played better than his paycheck the last few years is completely irrelevant.  You pay him based on what he's likely to do the next few years.  They don't owe him anything.

Poyer, albeit a solid player for us since he got here, is probably not going to be offered the uptick in pay he or his thot believes he deserves. I can see them offering in the ballpark of $9,000,000-$11,000,000 per for a couple of years tacked onto his current deal, but he's not going to see anything more than that from us. I honestly believe he could be moved on a draft day trade to a team willing to give him more if they (Beane & McDermott) believe the situation is going to deteriorate. 

I'm not really sure how to vote on this one Poyer isn't one that was drafted by McBeane they say they like to keep their own & if this year they can pick up some one like Dugger in the second round & he shows well that could be a lot cheaper route than paying Poyer because he will get paid .

I think he could be paid but Beane will not over pay for him and that's what makes me think he could be gone given a better scenario .

I vote no.

Tough decisions need to be made as your roster fills out and sometimes you have to let guys like Poyer walk.

Also I remember Joe Buscaglia being pretty high on Jaquan Johnson last yr., so Poyer's replacement might already be on the roster.

I voted yes, but it really is way too early to tell.  Lots of factors will come into play before that decision is close to being made:

1. How does Poyer play this year?
  2. How does someone like Jaquan Johnson play this year?  Does he show enough to take over a starting spot if Poyer left via FA?
  3. Do we draft someone this year that could be a threat to take the starting spot a year from now?  Maybe thats Dugger, who knows, but reports are we have shown strong interest in him. 

As of right now, until someone shows me someone who can competently take his spot, I think the answer is by default probably yes.  But there is a lot of football between now and then, plus a draft and think this will remain a fluid situation until the season comes to a close next year.  

3 hours ago, Estro said:

I vote no.

Tough decisions need to be made as your roster fills out and sometimes you have to let guys like Poyer walk.

Also I remember Joe Buscaglia being pretty high on Jaquan Johnson last yr., so Poyer's replacement might already be on the roster.

Personally I do not value the opinion of WRITERS very much.   He MIGHT be on roster because Bills drafted him which has nothing to do with Buscaglia.

His wife may be causing issues for him, there was a player down in North Cuba for the Phish who was causing issues for team and when player started having issue was gone.  It really comes down to Poyer's goals - is he looking for a high dollar contract he might not see end of or a contract for a team he seems to be doing well for and getting some recognition?

On 1/17/2020 at 8:49 PM, BubbaT said:

My thinking if they are going to do it they need to do so before the season starts or Poyer will just play out his deal and hit the market. I would think we'd know by the end of August.

Maybe they go into the season and See poyers attitude. If he continues to play a high level and step it up even more in a contract year early Beane counter extends him. It would be foolish for Beane to piss off Poyer who might say cya I'm a FA so there's a fine line to toe.

BUT if he has a shytty attitude about it and goes on cruise control Front office will know what they have. I personally think they pay him by the opener but what do I know.

Oh and PS he's my favorite player currently on our D.

Edited by BeefCurtns