Will we pay Poyer or won't we?

Will Mcbeane give Poyer the money he's earned?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mcbeane give Poyer the money he's earned?

• Yes
    • No

No issue with a 3 yr extension but I would not break the bank for him. He is a very good safety but I don't think he would be too difficult to replace. If they draft four front 7 defenders this year, you can let Poyer walk next year and replace him with a first or second round pick in 2021 draft

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am all but certain the Bills are going to pay Poyer. If they don't he is going to hold out. 

You think they pay him if he's asking for $9 or $10 million a year?

How exactly do you envision Beane using the $90 million (roughly) in Cap space we're going to have but with the need to consider what we're going to do with Dawkins/Shaq/Tre/Milano/Poyer beginning this offseason, with Allen and Edmund's looming?

To me, none of those other positions probably can be even comparably replaced on our roster other than Poyer. Tre is irreplaceable, so pay him now please. Milano is close to it and had a great season despite the missed sack in the Texans game that looms large for everyone, but he should get paid this offseason. Do we have an OL who can play LT remotely close to the same level as Dawkins? Word has come out as the season ended that despite not having his option picked up, Shaq became a real leader this year (I think I read he gave the team's pre-game on field speech in Houston) and Beane and McDermott really love how he responded. Considering our lack of depth at DE, I think he gets paid.

We're going to have to pay the rookies, obviously.

Do you envision a big splash FA like Cooper or Green or Yannick? Or at least a few 2nd tier guys?

Where's the money we're going have left?

Do you think we let Shaq walk or wait to pay one or more of those 3 other guys, pushing another contract into a year we will possibly shell out a $100+ million QB contract plus a starting MLB contract?

I don't think it's definite that Beane doesn't pay him. Our GM is resourceful and can probably swing it. But Poyer is the only player among that group who looks like he has someone relatively capable underneath him on the depth chart. And on top of that, Beane drafted him whereas Whaley brought in Poyer.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You think they pay him if he's asking for $9 or $10 million a year?

How exactly do you envision Beane using the $90 million (roughly) in Cap space we're going to have but with the need to consider what we're going to do with Dawkins/Shaq/Tre/Milano/Poyer beginning this offseason, with Allen and Edmund's looming?

To me, none of those other positions probably can be even comparably replaced on our roster other than Poyer. Tre is irreplaceable, so pay him now please. Milano is close to it and had a great season despite the missed sack in the Texans game that looms large for everyone, but he should get paid this offseason. Do we have an OL who can play LT remotely close to the same level as Dawkins? Word has come out as the season ended that despite not having his option picked up, Shaq became a real leader this year (I think I read he gave the team's pre-game on field speech in Houston) and Beane and McDermott really love how he responded. Considering our lack of depth at DE, I think he gets paid.

We're going to have to pay the rookies, obviously.

Do you envision a big splash FA like Cooper or Green or Yannick? Or at least a few 2nd tier guys?

Where's the money we're going have left?

Do you think we let Shaq walk or wait to pay one or more of those 3 other guys, pushing another contract into a year we will possibly shell out a $100+ million QB contract plus a starting MLB contract?

I don't think it's definite that Beane doesn't pay him. Our GM is resourceful and can probably swing it. But Poyer is the only player among that group who looks like he has someone relatively capable underneath him on the depth chart. And on top of that, Beane drafted him whereas Whaley brought in Poyer.

Whaley did not bring in Poyer. His name was still above the door but it is beyond any reasonable doubt that McDermott ran that offseason lock, stock and barrel. 

What I think the Bills will do this season is extend Poyer, extend Dawkins, take up White's 5th year option (I don't expect a contract with Tre until after next season) and try and bring Shaq back if they can. Milano is a possible extension but again they could choose to let him play out. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn't catch that.  good to hear - though it's tricky when you extend a guy who is still under contract if you give him too big a step, the rest of the team looks at their paper and says "urr urr where's mine?"

I agree with this, too, which is where what Poyer wants comes into it.  He deserves to be paid closer to Hyde.  But if they give him a long huge deal, Hyde and Tre White are going to be going "Hey Now!"  If Poyer will accept something like Eric Reid or Tashaun Gipson money, I think Beane would do that.  That would be 3 years, $22-23M, $10-11M fully guaranteed.  He'd be paid as a top 15 player at his position.

If he wants to be paid like Tyrann Mathieu, Beane will say "hey now, you're still under contract this next season you know"  and see what flies.

Tre White will have his fifth year exercised which will pay him huge bucks next year while we negotiate a large deal for him going forward. He’s also a good locker room

guy apparently. I doubt he starts sweating Poyer’s extension all that much. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

hope not

we can draft a safety in the 3rd round or bring in another lowkey FA to fill his spot. Poyer plays well bc of Mc'd system, he really isn't all that talented like 

Hyde is more important 

He i quite talented in my humble opinion.
he is light and fast . he reads plays pretty well. he is used on the line and does decently there too.

But he is too slight to finish RB tackles without risk.
 Flies around the field nicely though.
I would not be quick to give him more money.

He played above his pay , but that is what players should strive to regardless. He shows well this year ? someone will give him a payday.
 Loyalty bonus for him ? Sure. deserves something. Throw him some incentives 

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Tre White will have his fifth year exercised which will pay him huge bucks next year while we negotiate a large deal for him going forward. He’s also a good locker room

guy apparently. I doubt he starts sweating Poyer’s extension all that much. 

Just one minor correction they will exercise White's option this year but then he doesn't have to play on it until 2021. 2020 will be year 4 of his rookie deal. I don't expect White ever to play on the option year. They will extend him after year 4. One reason they might not rush to do it this year is as the final year of the CBA there are some unique rules about escalation in next year. Essentially it makes it hard to keep White's new deal cost controlled in 2020 and then go up significantly in 2021. Which means you lose a year of cost controlled play and I just don't know if that makes sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What do you think is his trade value? I can’t imagine a S nearing 30 who wants a new deal would be that in demand.  The Titans scrapped Kenny Vaccaro a former 1st rounder off the garbage heap.

As long as he shows he's still got skill in TC next year I could see some team in need giving a 5th. Beane has gotten better return on some of his trades than most of us ever thought he could. 

Should be interesting  We've seen Beane tear it down and get out of cap hell. Now we'll see how they maintain the build while keeping the team psyche and cap healthy.  I woud think a salary closer to Hyde's would do it but what  Miss Poyer thinks probably matters more, lol

7 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What do you think is his trade value? I can’t imagine a S nearing 30 who wants a new deal would be that in demand.  The Titans scrapped Kenny Vaccaro a former 1st rounder off the garbage heap.

Lol yeah. He's not getting traded.

33 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

With the money the Bills have to spend this year ... front loading a few contracts could be a long term benefit.

Don't think that matters...unused cap space rolls over anyway.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Whaley did not bring in Poyer. His name was still above the door but it is beyond any reasonable doubt that McDermott ran that offseason lock, stock and barrel. 

What I think the Bills will do this season is extend Poyer, extend Dawkins, take up White's 5th year option (I don't expect a contract with Tre until after next season) and try and bring Shaq back if they can. Milano is a possible extension but again they could choose to let him play out. 

I'm quite sure that while McDermott was the final "yes" or "no" to getting Poyer and Hyde, he had to rely on Whaley and Whaley's pro scouting crew. Poyer was signed less than 2 months after McDermott was hired; pretending McDermott was running everything on his own from Free Agency to the draft is just silly.

McDermott, I have no doubt, had final say... but no chance that offseason was the solo project you imply it was.

So that leaves Tre and Milano for next year along with possibly Allen and Edmunds. Pretend Edmunds and Allen have great years next year... do we push them back another year and do 5th year option on them, too?

I feel they should have him play out this year and then let him go, he is a small frame guy who makes a lot of tackles he can't tackle rb's for much longer, He is listed at 6'0 190 lbs my guess is more like 5'11 180. There is a lot of young talent coming up and I feel unless its a very team friendly deal, he isn't the one you pay the extra money. This guy was in a bad spot before the Bills which is why his deal is so friendly. 

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm quite sure that while McDermott was the final "yes" or "no" to getting Poyer and Hyde, he had to rely on Whaley and Whaley's pro scouting crew. Poyer was signed less than 2 months after McDermott was hired; pretending McDermott was running everything on his own from Free Agency to the draft is just silly.

McDermott, I have no doubt, had final say... but no chance that offseason was the solo project you imply it was.

So that leaves Tre and Milano for next year along with possibly Allen and Edmunds. Pretend Edmunds and Allen have great years next year... do we push them back another year and do 5th year option on them, too?

McDermott said he scouted Micah Hyde while DC of the Panthers.

Edited by BringBackOrton