Will we pay Poyer or won't we?

Will Mcbeane give Poyer the money he's earned?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mcbeane give Poyer the money he's earned?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I am going to say they add significant incentives to his deal this year...........perhaps as much as $2M.........and let him play out the season.

They did something similar with McCoy in the summer of 2017.

I thought there was a notable decline in his impact this season..........so I'm just not sure it makes sense to extend him.

I really don't agree with the last sentence. A few people have said it but it doesn't match what I saw. 

31 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

The Bills have already paid Poyer (and every other player) the money they have "earned".  Whether or not Poyer (or any other player) is worth more than what the Bills are currently paying him depends on how they think he will perform in the future, not what he's done in the past. 

Every player has his value so while I'd be happy to extend Poyer, it has to be at the right price.  He's not a top safety in the league and should not be paid like one.

This is where I am at.

I love Poyer & Hyde as a tandem, and if the Bills choose to keep Poyer, then I think they will give him a contract extension instead of waiting for him to become a free agent.

Poyer deserves to be paid, but not an outrageous amount. If he wants 10 million or more per year, forget it. Both sides need to come to a reasonable amount, and I believe they will.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Sometime next season, around playoff time they will get something mutual worked out. 

Go Bills!!!

Everyone gets hurt. If they didn’t get hurt last year, it’s more likely they get hurt this season, or next. You want to have that depth for when it happens. Can’t have Poyer AND his backup NOT be on this roster at the same time. Next season, the season after, whenever, whoever it is, gotta have the depth at the positions where you don’t have superstars. 

If a superstar receiver or quarterback go down, you’re probably not in a position to repair that impact. But Poyer isn’t good enough to not take the view as: a position. He’s not: a player. On offense, only Allen is like that. On defense: White and Edmunds. Though I really wish the playoff game was a welcoming party for Edmunds to the national audience. It wasn’t. 

• Like (+1) 1

As someone who’s screen name is Pay Poyer, I feel as though i have to comment. Obviously I think he should get paid. He has far exceeded anyone’s expectations and I don’t believe you should break up that tandem in the back. He plays hard, for the most part plays smart, and knows this defense. You have others who will need contracts soon, but you can front load his contract to ease the burden when those other guys need to get paid 

I'll also add, what does it say about the process if we sign good character guys, watch them outperform their contracts, and then refuse to pay them when it's time.

How will the other players view the team? Will they play as hard? Will they start seeing Buffalo as a bridge to another team who pays them? How will we be any different to how we were during the drought, letting players like Jason Peters and Stephon Gilmore go to greener pastures. 

I don't think it's a question that you resign Poyer. We have the 3rd most cap in the league. Everyone talks a big game about retaining talent. Here's a dude that gave everything he had for 3 years leading us to the best heights we've seen in 20 years. He misses a couple tackles late in the year and now people want to pretend he's trash so they don't have to pay him? I hope we're not that kind of organization. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I voted yes, but it all depends on what he thinks he has “earned’. Judging by his wife’s comments on Twitter, I fear that he may be over estimating  his market value. I am hoping Beane can keep him...

Yep, it's all about what Poyer and his agent think his open market worth is.

Beane will make a good offer for probably a 3 year extension this spring.

The rest will be up to Jordan.

• Like (+1) 1

I think they should and have a clause where Rachel Bush is only allowed be seen and not heard. ?

that said, I do get if they don’t want to pay him.  I had some major questions about their ability to evaluate offensive talent but they are great at evaluating defensive personnel, especially in the secondary.  If they think he is replaceable for cheaper, I would trust their judgment.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am all but certain the Bills are going to pay Poyer. If they don't he is going to hold out. 

That is a choice he can make. 

In which case he runs the risk that Jaquan Johnson or someone else we acquire will prove to have great communication with Hyde as well, and he'll come back to find himself playing the year out as a backup and not in a great position to get a big payday from somebody else.

If there's one place where I trust Beane to recognize talent and McDermott to coach it up, it's at DB.

I hope Beane waits until training camp starts before making any decision. See what #46 & #33 look like with another year experience. Also see if poyer loses a step as he is getting older. 

I like Poyer but don't think he sticks around unless it's a real team friendly deal. Wouldn't shock me to see him get traded. 

2 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

I hope Beane waits until training camp starts before making any decision. See what #46 & #33 look like with another year experience. Also see if poyer loses a step as he is getting older. 

I like Poyer but don't think he sticks around unless it's a real team friendly deal. Wouldn't shock me to see him get traded. 

What do you think is his trade value? I can’t imagine a S nearing 30 who wants a new deal would be that in demand.  The Titans scrapped Kenny Vaccaro a former 1st rounder off the garbage heap.

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That is a choice he can make. 

In which case he runs the risk that Jaquan Johnson or someone else we acquire will prove to have great communication with Hyde as well, and he'll come back to find himself playing the year out as a backup and not in a great position to get a big payday from somebody else.

If there's one place where I trust Beane to recognize talent and McDermott to coach it up, it's at DB.

For sure. I still say it won't come to that.