Will we pay Poyer or won't we?

Will Mcbeane give Poyer the money he's earned?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mcbeane give Poyer the money he's earned?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

So, he didn't last year & if you are to be believed, it is because he thought better of it and changed his mind. Yet, it is an almost certainty that he will hold out this year.  Your powers of conjecture are amazing.

Nope. I did not say he would almost certainly hold out. I don't think he will hold out because it I am almost certain the Bills will pay him.

Poyer is a leader in our secondary, I bet he gets re-signed. So long as he isn’t asking for too much, I see us paying him. I think he wants to be in Buffalo so he’ll take a moderate pay bump and get his money. This coaching staff, this defense is perfect for his skill set and I think he knows that, he fits this scheme like a glove. Maybe $8M-$9M is what I’d value him at.

Edited by Sunshower

I’m not sure. I would think Beane and McDermott understand the desire for continuity. At the same time, I don’t see them paying Poyer like a top-5 safety, because he’s not. He’s a top 15-20 safety. 

I believe like other here, that Hyde is the more important player. 

I’d also like to see what they have in Jaquan Johnson like many others here. 

If they opted to look in the draft I’d love to see Winfield Jr. in a Bills jersey. His dad was one of my favorite players. 

• Like (+1) 1

I guess I am insane then beacuse I wouldn't over pay him.  He's not the best tackler or athelte in the world.  He's a good fit for this defense and I would want to keep but given the other people that are coming up and people we could bring in, I wouldn't over do it.  Plus I wouldn't want to have the most expensive safety tandem in the league. 

I think Poyer will be 30 when hes up for his next contract. While not super old for a safety, i think the presence of Jaquan, plus the price that Poyer will deservedly demand, we part ways.  

this is a tough question. I can see it going either way. 

Edited by bobobonators

The more I think about it I see no way they keep Poyer.

They have to keep White and I think Hyde is more valuable.

I don't see them paying three players in that secondary. You have to be smart with money handed out.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Nope. I did not say he would almost certainly hold out. I don't think he will hold out because it I am almost certain the Bills will pay him.

I am going to say they add significant incentives to his deal this year...........perhaps as much as $2M.........and let him play out the season.

They did something similar with McCoy in the summer of 2017.

I thought there was a notable decline in his impact this season..........so I'm just not sure it makes sense to extend him.

15 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The more I think about it I see no way they keep Poyer.

They have to keep White and I think Hyde is more valuable.

I don't see them paying three players in that secondary. You have to be smart with money handed out.

.....initially agree BOE.....probably up to the individual(s) choice.......hometown discount to keep the nucleus intact with a potentially fast rising club like Bflo?....OR....a couple of million elsewhere with a long term pretender?....as McBeane was quoted (paraphrased), "we establish a value for a player and that's it"...stay tuned..........

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am all but certain the Bills are going to pay Poyer. If they don't he is going to hold out. 

I don't think it is a good idea for Poyer to hold out.  If he does, McD plays Jaquan Johnson, and if Johnson is as good as McD thinks/hopes Poyer will get traded or not re-resigned in 2021.  The only way a hold out would work in Poyer's favor, is if Jaquan Johnson sucks.

I want Poyer to get what he deserves, he's been a good player and soldier. I'm also a huge Jaquan Johnson fan and would love to see him on the field. Any chance he finds some looks that get all 3 on the field? Maybe JJ could get some time at the big nickel spot.

With a year left the Bills have the leverage for an extension.  Should be easy to get him a nice raise for 2020 and get a bit of a discount in 2021.  Good faith on both ends....

If he is not interested fine let him play 2020 on the cheap while trying to earn his next contact with someone else. 

Edited by artmalibu

12 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Am I the only one that is confused with the Jaquan Johnson talk!? What has he done? I don’t even know who he is. 

Played ST and looked good against the Jets starters.  It was notable that mostly D backups looked good against a Jets team presumably motivated to end the season strong.  We have some depth on defense.  But he hasn't even nudged at Poyer for starting snaps yet.

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I think the Bills can give him a two year extension and Hyde a one year extension telling they want to keep them together and allow Hyde to get a bump up in salary as well.

Poyer is probably wanting that Last Big Payday and may not be happy with that.  The Bills leverage is to say "hey, you'll get more this coming season and a signing bonus, in exchange for giving up the chance you can get more next year in FA"  Will they do it?  Will he go for it if they do?  Don't know.

7 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

With a year left the Bills have the leverage for an extension.  Should be easy to get him a nice raise for 2020 and get a bit of a discount in 2021.  Good faith on both ends....

If he is not interested fine let him play 2020 on the cheap while trying to earn his next contact with someone else. 

Just a note that "on the cheap" here means AAV of $3.25MHe's #32 highest paid safety, which is surely lower than his value, but he's not exactly being paid league minimum or like a backup.  He's paid squarely in the middle of the 64 starting safeties in the league.

The Bills have already paid Poyer (and every other player) the money they have "earned".  Whether or not Poyer (or any other player) is worth more than what the Bills are currently paying him depends on how they think he will perform in the future, not what he's done in the past. 

Every player has his value so while I'd be happy to extend Poyer, it has to be at the right price.  He's not a top safety in the league and should not be paid like one.

• Like (+1) 1