Will we pay Poyer or won't we?

Will Mcbeane give Poyer the money he's earned?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mcbeane give Poyer the money he's earned?

• Yes
    • No

Beane rewarding Poyer will send a message to the team that if you consistently produce for us you'll be rewarded.  I see an extension similar to Hughes at the beginning of last year.  Maybe a three year extension to lock him up for four seasons until he's 33 with a low dead cap amount his final year.  Something like a three year extension for 34 million (24 million guaranteed).  That puts him at about 9 million a year.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It’s a conundrum but one that they welcome.   Jaquan showed great potential through training camp and was pretty much shelved for the year and when given a chance against the JEts he played at a very high level.

My guess is that they will get him out on the field a lot more this upcoming year and based off of how they both play they will reserve that decision until as long as they can.

Poyer has been really good for the Bills but jaquan may be a better natural tackler and that ultimately may make a difference.

I would pay DBs before I paid LBs any day.  Passing league.   Any I would pay offense before I paid defense.   Without great offense , you can't win anything.   Anything that improves the pass or ability to stop the pass gets paid first.   WRs, DBs , QBs, LT, Edge, all get paid first, IMHO.  When they change the rules to limit the passing game , then my mind will change. 

I believe they will pay Poyer. I also think that it won't be huge money, but will have a substantial portion guaranteed, which will reflect the fact he has out-performed his current deal.

At least that would be the way I'd do it.  Say for example (and to be clear, it's an example, not what I think he should get or will get), an extension for 3 years and $20m, with $15m guaranteed. Where ordinarily you would have done the deal with only $10m guaranteed.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am all but certain the Bills are going to pay Poyer. If they don't he is going to hold out. 

What has led you to this Against the Process almost certainty? 

What leads you to believe that Poyer is stupid enough to believe that a hold out would benefit him in the long run?

not so sure

PRO: has totally outplayed his current team friendly deal.

CON: i think he took a step back back in 2019. absolute stud in 2018

CONCLUSION: 2020 is a show me year. they only extend if another team friendly deal. beane will not overpay.

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

He's clearly outperformed his contract and deserves more money.

That's a given.

But...

He has one year left on his deal, and in the next few years ya gotta figure big money (relative to position) is about to go to White, Dawkins, Milano, Edmunds, Allen... (possibly???) Shaq?

And I know... Poyer is great... especially at the price we got him. But while he's a McDermott guy...

He might not be a Beane guy.

And his replacement would appear to be on the roster already in Jaquan Johnson, who flashed serious potential his rookie year. And Beane drafted him.

Would Johnson even get the chance to consistently see the field before the end of his rookie contract expires? At what position? Much like Darryl Johnson, he seems like a guy who will deserve serious playing time in the next couple years.

Who knows though? We also have plenty of CAP space over the next couple years and a Head Coach who can get pretty creative with his defensive personnel.

What do you think?

Within reason yes,  but he is no elite player. You don't pay him more than 8 million per season which is what he deserves

Poyer and Hyde have both outperformed their contracts.  Hyde has 2 seasons left, Poyer has 1.  I can see them both getting extensions.  Hyde has been much better than Poyer (who has been very good) so they really can’t give Poyer a raise to more than what Hyde is making without causing problems.  This could be tricky. 

Yes, Poyer is going to get a raise.  Again, if you have been paying attention to Beane and McD they have said time and time again they want to sign and keep players who fit the culture and have performed.  This sends a message not only to that player but to the rest of the organization (and league) that the Buffalo Bills are a professional franchise that takes care of its own.

Poyer is still in the prime of his career.  He will get paid by Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

What has led you to this Against the Process almost certainty? 

What leads you to believe that Poyer is stupid enough to believe that a hold out would benefit him in the long run?

I know for a fact he nearly held out last year. Hyde and others talked him out of it. There are plenty of other posters here who were privy to the same information if you don't believe me. 

I suppose I don't see it as against the process in the way you do. I think the process includes paying guys who come here as under the radar players, knuckle down, don't miss time with injuries, are leaders on the field and outperform their contracts. To my mind that is exactly the sort of guy the Bills want to pay as part of the process. 

Just now, eball said:

Yes, Poyer is going to get a raise.  Again, if you have been paying attention to Beane and McD they have said time and time again they want to sign and keep players who fit the culture and have performed.  This sends a message not only to that player but to the rest of the organization (and league) that the Buffalo Bills are a professional franchise that takes care of its own.

Exactly how I see it eball. This totally fits with the process and the culture they want to build. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Exactly how I see it eball. This totally fits with the process and the culture they want to build. 

There is a rumor that Poyer almost held out last summer.  I don't know this to be true, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if Beane got word through to Poyer/his agent that he just needed to be patient for a year.

3 minutes ago, eball said:

There is a rumor that Poyer almost held out last summer.  I don't know this to be true, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if Beane got word through to Poyer/his agent that he just needed to be patient for a year.

It is true. 

13 minutes ago, eball said:

Is having to be convinced by Hyde and others to not hold out part of the process/culture?  Also, past performance is not a guarantee of future results, and this was his worst season as a Bill with his play diminishing as the season progressed.  If we extend him great, if he walks after next season so be it.  I trust our GM to not overpay.

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I know for a fact he nearly held out last year. Hyde and others talked him out of it. There are plenty of other posters here who were privy to the same information if you don't believe me. 

I suppose I don't see it as against the process in the way you do. I think the process includes paying guys who come here as under the radar players, knuckle down, don't miss time with injuries, are leaders on the field and outperform their contracts. To my mind that is exactly the sort of guy the Bills want to pay as part of the process. 

So, he didn't last year & if you are to be believed, it is because he thought better of it and changed his mind. Yet, it is an almost certainty that he will hold out this year.  Your powers of conjecture are amazing.