Will we pay Poyer or won't we?

Will Mcbeane give Poyer the money he's earned?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mcbeane give Poyer the money he's earned?

• Yes
    • No

He's clearly outperformed his contract and deserves more money.

That's a given.

But...

He has one year left on his deal, and in the next few years ya gotta figure big money (relative to position) is about to go to White, Dawkins, Milano, Edmunds, Allen... (possibly???) Shaq?

And I know... Poyer is great... especially at the price we got him. But while he's a McDermott guy...

He might not be a Beane guy.

And his replacement would appear to be on the roster already in Jaquan Johnson, who flashed serious potential his rookie year. And Beane drafted him.

Would Johnson even get the chance to consistently see the field before the end of his rookie contract expires? At what position? Much like Darryl Johnson, he seems like a guy who will deserve serious playing time in the next couple years.

Who knows though? We also have plenty of CAP space over the next couple years and a Head Coach who can get pretty creative with his defensive personnel.

What do you think?

Edited by transplantbillsfan

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

He's clearly outperformed his contract and deserves more money.

That's a given.

But...

He has one year left on his deal, and in the next few years ya gotta figure big money (relative to position) is about to go to White, Dawkins, Milano, Edmunds, Allen... (possibly???) Shaq?

And I know... Poyer is great... especially at the price we got him. But while he's a McDermott guy...

He might not be a Beane guy.

And his replacement would appear to be on the roster already in Jaquan Johnson, who flashed serious potential his rookie year. And Beane drafted him.

Would Johnson even get the chance to consistently see the field before the end of his rookie contract expires? At what position? Much like Darryl Johnson, he seems like a guy who will deserve serious playing time in the next couple years.

Who knows though? We also have plenty of CAP space over the next couple years and a Head Coach who can get pretty creative with his defensive personnel.

What do you think?

It's a good question.  I don't know if Beane wants to create a precedent of re-negotiating contracts that early.  I wouldn't think it would be a priority - get through FA and the draft and see where we are, cap-wise

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think Beane extends Poyer.  I don't think McD wants to break up the safety duo of Poyer and Hyde.

Agree, I think the established rapport and the interchangeability have value. I think they pay the man. 

(Having said that, I don’t know the details of his current deal, market comps, etc. so that might be worth adding here to better evaluate the options.) 

• Like (+1) 2

My thinking if they are going to do it they need to do so before the season starts or Poyer will just play out his deal and hit the market. I would think we'd know by the end of August.

Edited by BubbaT

I really don’t think it happens.  At least, I don’t think that they give Poyer a huge deal.  I can see tbem

resign him to a modest deal but not one that put him toward the top of safeties in the league.

The reason why is because the team is very bullish on Jacquan Johnson.  At some point, they are going to want to see what he can do on the field in relevant game situations.  He has 3 more years left on a rookie contract and possibly a higher ceiling than Poyer.  If they extend Poyer than Johnson likely won’t see the field much.

• Like (+1) 1

Can you please add one more option:  "Maybe not, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me if we did."

This way, the resident "experts," can vote, then brag about how they were "right."  Of course, prefaced by saying, "I don't mean to brag, but ..."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I see a little bit of Belichickian influence in the way things are done now.

BB would probably let him get away - just before he shows any decline.

Hope they keep him, though.  He’s been so important to building this team’s identity.

47 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

agreed. I felt Beane was alluding  to Poyer when he talked in his post-season presser about extending guys who outperformed their contracts. 

I didn't catch that.  good to hear - though it's tricky when you extend a guy who is still under contract if you give him too big a step, the rest of the team looks at their paper and says "urr urr where's mine?"

30 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I really don’t think it happens.  At least, I don’t think that they give Poyer a huge deal.  I can see tbem

resign him to a modest deal but not one that put him toward the top of safeties in the league.

I agree with this, too, which is where what Poyer wants comes into it.  He deserves to be paid closer to Hyde.  But if they give him a long huge deal, Hyde and Tre White are going to be going "Hey Now!"  If Poyer will accept something like Eric Reid or Tashaun Gipson money, I think Beane would do that.  That would be 3 years, $22-23M, $10-11M fully guaranteed.  He'd be paid as a top 15 player at his position.

If he wants to be paid like Tyrann Mathieu, Beane will say "hey now, you're still under contract this next season you know"  and see what flies.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn't catch that.  good to hear - though it's tricky when you extend a guy who is still under contract if you give him too big a step, the rest of the team looks at their paper and says "urr urr where's mine?"

I agree with this, too, which is where what Poyer wants comes into it.  He deserves to be paid closer to Hyde.  But if they give him a long huge deal, Hyde and Tre White are going to be going "Hey Now!"  If Poyer will accept something like Eric Reid or Tashaun Gipson money, I think Beane would do that.  That would be 3 years, $22-23M, $10-11M fully guaranteed.  He'd be paid as a top 15 player at his position.

If he wants to be paid like Tyrann Mathieu, Beane will say "hey now, you're still under contract this next season you know"  and see what flies.

Beane would say: "maybe if you played like Tyrann Mathieu...."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Can you please add one more option:  "Maybe not, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me if we did."

This way, the resident "experts," can vote, then brag about how they were "right."  Of course, prefaced by saying, "I don't mean to brag, but ..."

Yeah... I can't imagine a single sane Bills fan who would be shocked at a lucrative Poyer contract.

Nonetheless, it's largely Jaquan Johnson that has me thinking Poyer is suddenly expendable.

You don't keep playmakers on the bench, and Johnson is already looking like a playmaker. I wonder if McDermott finds a way to get him on the field with Hyde and Poyer somehow next year.

2 hours ago, Success said:

I see a little bit of Belichickian influence in the way things are done now.

BB would probably let him get away - just before he shows any decline.

Hope they keep him, though.  He’s been so important to building this team’s identity.

To me it's less that and more about what's beneath him.

Mcbeane have Jaquan Johnson for 3 more years dirt cheap.

And honestly... he looks already like he could be at least as good as Poyer in a year or 2. But even if he's not quite as good, but is still relatively good... I'm sure OBD will be thinking about the other player(s) they could sign/resign/extend.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

Only going to pay One the over 10M AAV contract. So if it is Poyer then Hyde isn’t getting another contract with us unless he takes a huge discount because he is 32 at the time of his next contract. 

I personally am not sure they pay either with how Safety Friendly McD system is. 

• Like (+1) 2

I love Poyer but it’s all going to come down to his demands. I want him back but if he’s going to ask for ridiculous free safety money when we (assumedly) want to keep Hyde and especially Tre, then things for Jordan are going to realistic real quick. Can’t replace Tre. Very hard to replace Hyde in my opinion. But replacing Poyer? That’s not insurmountable.

50 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

I hope the Bills do not he needs a rebound season

silliness. He’s been close to the best at his job for 3 seasons. His tackling looked lazy at times this year for sure. But to say he failed and needs a “rebound” season is preposterous.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2