Off-season: Expected and Surprise Cuts

ngbills

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Star is a culture fit and a leader, and he fills his role competently. We're overpaying him a couple million, big deal. We didn't lose any games this year because he was on the field. Why would we cut him to save $2.3 million?

Roberts was our most valuable special teams player. McDermott preaches the importance of ball security and he hasn't muffed a single punt or kickoff. Why would you risk losing that value for $2 million?

We aren't going to find a replacement for Hauschka. He was fine after a short string of bad games. We should have won our first playoff game in over 20 years because of him. What are you even thinking here?

Long is good offensive line depth. What does cutting him accomplish?

The Bills have $89 million in available cap space!! It's the 4th most cap space in the league this year - only the Dolphins, Bucs, and Colts have more. We're in a really good spot. Why are we cutting decent players to save more money?

Hey Happy, don't worry, be happy.  Only a couple of these will get the pink slips.  Not Murph, Star, and definitely NOT Hauschka.  This guy is better than average, and maybe great next year.  I think we'll rely less on a kicker next year because we'll average more than 20 points a game.  Everything will focus on getting Josh some weapons and protection.  Go Bills!!  

I don't see them Cutting Star at all, IMO he stepped up overall play the second half of the season.

Hughes may be an interesting story. His numbers took a dive in 2019, he's on the wrong side of 31 and is the 2nd or 3rd highest paid player on the team.

I think either DiMarco or Smith gets cut, but not both.

I do think they bring in stiff competition at K and P

On 1/17/2020 at 2:26 PM, Rc2catch said:

I think the surprise is NOBODY gets cut. 
It’s possible everyone currently under contract makes it to preseason. 

You don’t cut players until someone steps up and takes their job unless you need the money. We do not. 
Might as well load up in the draft, sign who we are going to sign between our guys and free agents. Let the best battle it out. 
Once you have a good idea of your top 53 you can dangle guys for draft picks, trade them for possible depth players, or just outright cut them. What’s the rush to get them off the team? 

I'm not so sure I'm sold on this patient, thoughtful, sensible plan you've concocted.

7 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

I'm not so sure I'm sold on this patient, thoughtful, sensible plan you've concocted.

Well no.. By the time we sign all the top free agents available that 90 million will be gone we have to cut immediately or won’t get all the top guys. Beane will be asleep at the wheel 

On 1/17/2020 at 2:53 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

They would save money by cutting him but I don't think they do it.

since they would have to replace him, the only way you would save any money would be to sign a player, at his position for less than 2.3mm. i don't think that is happening.  

• Like (+1) 3

20 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

What's crazy is alot of people are saying we will spend nowhere near that 90M. Maybe not even 50M. What's the point of having all this cap if we only use 50%? This isn't roll over minutes. Go get Ngakoue,  Conklin and either Hooper or Hunter Henry? There will still be plenty of cake leftover. 

I think Beane will continue to do what he has already done concerning cap spending.  He will keep a reserve of 20-25 million this coming year

just like last year.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not argumentative at all, good questions.

Morse is the 2nd highest paid center in the league by AAV and guaranteed $$.  That's the Deep End by most people's measure.  If that's not a Big Guy unsure what your definition of big guy is?

As for what I assume, that's my interpretation of what Beane said.  Joe B. had a similar interpretation in his Athletic article
“We probably won’t be spending at the deep end of the pool that we did last year, where we were,” Beane said. “Hopefully, Josh (Allen) continues to ascend and hopefully he makes us pay him some of those hefty salaries at that time. Which we want to be able to be in cap strength to handle that, as well, and not all of a sudden sign a quarterback and then have to release three other players just to stay under the cap. So, it’s not just that $89 million that you’re referring to this year, it’s making sure we’re cap strong in ’21, ’22 and beyond.”
And further:

“You can get guys that are minimum contract guys. You can get guys that are low-tier type, kind of middle of the road,” Beane said. “Those sometimes are as important or more important than those big-ticket items.”

Believe me I'd like to be wrong.  I want us to go for a FA TE and a FA OL, best we can get.   While we're at it, FA pass rusher be nice.

Beane tried shopping at Kmart for OL in 2018, and finally saw some success when he moved up to Kohls (with Morse as one excursion to Neiman Marcus), but still not quite enough.  Spain was available for us to sign because Tennessee upgraded to Saffold.  We're speculating about FA and the draft after we couldn't run between tackles all season, while Tennessee is playing for the Conference Championship on the strength of their run game, starting with improved run blocking.  You don't need to be a Football Genius to see how important a pass-catching TE with reliable hands is to the SF 49ers, to KC, and to Baltimore.  Beane tried Kohls there with Kroft.  Need to upgrade, Beane.  Not sure Knox is It; are we betting the season that he takes a step, or that Kroft gets and stays fully healthy and breaks his pattern of "Loyal Knight" to become a difference-maker all season?

Beane talks about saving cap to pay Allen those big bucks if he proves out, but if we don't give him targets, better protection, and a consistent run game we'll be left saying "perhaps...." and having to make a tough choice after next season.

Funny how interpretations go concerning what Beane said.  

I took it as he won't be spending a lot "in total" in FA this year like last year.

Last year he spent a lot of money bringing in a lot of new players and like he said I don't see that happening again.

I don't think it takes a "big" type player signing off the table.

It was shocking none of these professional sports writers didn't ask a follow up to the term "deep end".

FWIW.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few month.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I get it.  He's not going to line up to set the new market for a DT with Mario Williams or Marcel Dareus.

My point is there's such a thing as being too cost-conscious.  We saw that in 2018, and Beane now admits he didn't do enough to bring in OL talent and playmakers and Josh's development suffered for it - that he was cap-limited but could have done more.

In 2019 he did more and the offense has took a step from #30 to #23, but IMO if he wants another step, he has still not done enough and it's not just at WR.  Elsewhere I pointed out that we are #24 in OL spending and that the two just might be related.  The playoff team that is similar to us in OL spending (49ers) has 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder playing on the line.  While McDermott and Beane are looking for mistakes made in Carolina where they can chart a different course, I hope he considers under-investment in OL and offensive skill players (TE, RB) as a possibility.

I agree, and the point about the TE is a very good one. The best offenses have ‘em, and Allen needs a reliable one going into season 3. That’s a huge year in his ultimate evaluation, and Knox is still a maybe. I know they’re not going to go out and get a George Kittle, but an upgrade with reliable hands is critical. 

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They should not cut Long. Good Oline depth is almost non-existent around the league. You don't get rid of it to save $3m unless you need to in my opinion. 

In the same vein I wouldn't cut Ty Nsekhe but he might be a candidate for the surprise cut list too. 

Some folk seem to think making holes in your roster before you have a position filled is a good idea, just don’t get that myself, and like you said, quality depth on O lines is rare in the league. Ya can’t cut people without a REAL PLAN in place.

Go Bills!!!

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Funny how interpretations go concerning what Beane said.  

I took it as he won't be spending a lot "in total" in FA this year like last year.

Last year he spent a lot of money bringing in a lot of new players and like he said I don't see that happening again.

I don't think it takes a "big" type player signing off the table.

It was shocking none of these professional sports writers didn't ask a follow up to the term "deep end".

FWIW.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few month.

That would have been useful, indeed.

ESPN had an article about looming FA decisions in which they said Yannick Ngakoue wants $22M annually.  Eeep.  I don't see the Beanster going for that.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/17/2020 at 1:16 PM, ngbills said:

Well $20M is going to Yannick Ngakoue. Trent Murphy pays for a big chunk of that. 

Then $10M+ to Conklin. Spencer Long savings will help with that. 

Kroft helps pay for Hooper and his $10M.

Then we are in good shape headed to the draft and a few other lower priced free agents. Get AJ Green on a short deal if possible, Robbie Anderson, and draft a WR. 

Anyone have McBean  email address????

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That would have been useful, indeed.

ESPN had an article about looming FA decisions in which they said Yannick Ngakoue wants $22M annually.  Eeep.  I don't see the Beanster going for that.

Neither do I.  Beane doesn't seem to be the type of GM that goes for the huge contracts in FA like that.

I know he paid for Mitch Morse (highest paid Center) but that was half of what Yannick wants and Josh needed a good center desperately.

Replying to another reply you had about Lee Smith and Tyler Kroft.

I agree with your comment about Kroft possibly being let go and Smith staying.

If Kroft was let go and Beane looked for another vet TE that could replace Smith's "leadership" role then that would open up other options

concerning Smith's future.  My point was none of us know what Beane and McDermott feel about Lee Smith's overall leadership and playing worth.

I do think a big FA TE signing is possible.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why, in your view?

I just don't see them dropping any FA coin on a TE. I think Kroft fit in well with Mcd's culture, and could be the veteran presence in that group if they move on from Lee Smith. I think they feel Kroft never got a chance to show what he can do on the field and with the cap room they have, why cut him? I think they'll go with Knox, Sweeney and Kroft.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/17/2020 at 2:16 PM, ngbills said:

Well $20M is going to Yannick Ngakoue. Trent Murphy pays for a big chunk of that. 

Then $10M+ to Conklin. Spencer Long savings will help with that. 

Kroft helps pay for Hooper and his $10M.

Then we are in good shape headed to the draft and a few other lower priced free agents. Get AJ Green on a short deal if possible, Robbie Anderson, and draft a WR. 

He aint worth $20 mil.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He aint worth $20 mil.

I have watched very little of the Jags. I also don’t like the idea of using just stats to pass judgement. However if the Bills are going to shell out the biggest contract in years for the team to one player, it Would seem to me it needs to be someone with proven track record. So far he has one season of 12 sacks the rest are 8-9.5 sacks a season. I trust Beane and McDermott when it comes to defenders. I don’t anticipate them taking a huge swing and missing in FA. 

• Like (+1) 1