Off-season: Expected and Surprise Cuts

ngbills

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There's a couple mocks including cbs having us take Taylor in the 1st. If Shenault is gone this would be a good pick. The NFL is cyclical and with teams like Tenn & SF, its moving back to a run heavy trend. Taylor and Singletary would be an awesome combo.

Do you really think Beane would draft a running back in the first round? Seems damn unlikely imo. 

Go Bills!!!

3 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

With the Bills cap space any cut would be a surprise. 

I wouldn't go that far.  Creating cap space is not the only reason for cutting a player.  Sometimes it is advisable to cut a player whose production does not justify his cap numbers, particularly if cutting him doesn't have big dead cap implications.  I think Lotulelei stays at least one more year so the dead cap implications become more manageable.  

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

Well $20M is going to Yannick Ngakoue. Trent Murphy pays for a big chunk of that. 

Then $10M+ to Conklin. Spencer Long savings will help with that. 

Kroft helps pay for Hooper and his $10M.

Then we are in good shape headed to the draft and a few other lower priced free agents. Get AJ Green on a short deal if possible, Robbie Anderson, and draft a WR. 

Is that you Dan Snyder?

I

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, MJS said:

What did you have against Yeldon? He didn't really play and when he did he looked pretty good.

In the beginning of the season, when he had opportunities, he fumbled.   He’s ok.  I’d rather have someone else

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

Believe me I expect to be disappointed. If they sign just one - Hooper. Then I am excited. I know folks like Knox. He is fun to watch but quite the level of a guy like Hooper. 

What's crazy is alot of people are saying we will spend nowhere near that 90M. Maybe not even 50M. What's the point of having all this cap if we only use 50%? This isn't roll over minutes. Go get Ngakoue,  Conklin and either Hooper or Hunter Henry? There will still be plenty of cake leftover. 

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

Well $20M is going to Yannick Ngakoue. Trent Murphy pays for a big chunk of that. 

Then $10M+ to Conklin. Spencer Long savings will help with that. 

Kroft helps pay for Hooper and his $10M.

Then we are in good shape headed to the draft and a few other lower priced free agents. Get AJ Green on a short deal if possible, Robbie Anderson, and draft a WR. 

Signing those guys takes a huge chunk of guaranteed money.

Cutting any of those guys only covers a SMALL fraction of that. Insignificant in comparison.

The consequences of giving any of those contracts will be the near-certain future loss of guys like Dawkins, Milano, etc. because we can't commit to that many long term contracts.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

Expected:

Trent Murphy ($8.95 cap hit / $1.75M dead cap)

Spencer Long ($4.1M cap hit / $700k dead cap)

Surprise:

Star Lotulelei ($10.1M cap hit / $7.8M dead cap)

Tyler Kroft ($6.4M cap hit / $1.6M dead cap)

Lee Smith ($3.25M cap hit / $1M dead cap)

Steven Hauschka ($3M cap hit / $1.25M dead cap)

Pat Dimcarco ($2.35M cap hit / $500k dead cap)

Andre Roberts ($2M cap hit / $500k dead cap)

TJ Yeldon ($1.9M cap hit / $250K dead cap)

Trent is highly possible.  Long is a given.  Kroft may be gone but later, after camp. 

Hauschka and Roberts both stay.   Star stays..  DiMarco has love from McD so probably not going.  Yeldon and Smith depends on who we pick up to improve those positions.  

Shaq could go as well (contract).  

5 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

With the Bills cap space any cut would be a surprise. 

Correct. Look how long they held onto Ducasse and Bodine this year. These guys will ALL probably be given a chance to make the team at least.

There's really no need to cut any of them, especially Murphy.

I think Long will step in at LG and give us a relatively cheap starter, or compete with a rookie for the job.

Even Krofts salary isn't over the top...look at the contracts TEs are getting these days. Short term at 5 mill isn't breaking the bank and cutting him probably wouldn't be worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

We are in a good cap position for a reason...getting sloppy now wouldn’t be advisable. 

Sloppy how? You want to cut 6-7 guys and create more holes? How many free agents you looking to sign? How many rookies can contribute immediately? 
Would it not be wiser to sign your free agents, then draft, then pick up any scraps you want and invite them to camp? 
Then, if the players you’ve acquired prove themselves you can cut people. 
Why on earth would we cut all these guys when we don’t even need the money to sign free agents? 
Who are you bringing in to replace them? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Hard to find a kicker and Hausckha redeemed himself at end of year.  Can’t see them cutting him.  

While Haushka did redeem himself some what, people seem to forget we don't tend to kick past 50 cause he can't seem to make those anymore. He needs to be replaced sooner rather than later.

5 hours ago, dneveu said:

If he costs 10 to play, and 8 to cut.  You would need to ideally use the savings to improve the position.  If you don't do that... you shouldn't cut him.

but the owner doesn’t actually pay dead money. Owners may want to keep the cash in their pocket.

Remember Shaq and Phillips might both be gone through free agency. Filling those two holes will be on the top of the "to do" list. Right there, you're down a significant part of what is regarded as one of the best defenses in franchise history. And now you want to dump Murphy and Star? I don't know, but that seems a little rash. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think we cut Murphy unless we

resign Shaq.  He wasn’t that bad imo.  

We won’t cut Long if Spain bolts.  Also not that bad and versatile backup. Not very expensive.

Please cut Lee Smith.

Please cut Dimarco.

Please cut yeldon.

i just have no desire to see those guys in a bills uniform again

Agree w everything above.  Although I think Yeldon wasn’t utilized properly. But if he’s gonna be inactive every week would rather bring in a young guy with potentially more upside