Off-season: Expected and Surprise Cuts

ngbills

1 minute ago, billsfan_34 said:

Hauschka got back on track- I think he stays. Yeldon is gone. Lee Smith gone. Tyler is a wild card- I am conflicted with his status. Dimarco always seems to make it ?‍♂️

Does Yeldon play special teams.....thought he should have been used more and was not expensive.

I fully expect another back brought in

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

If by looking good you mean he fumbled, then yes. 

He did have one fumble. Are you unhappy with Singletary because he fumbled four times?

Yeldon has 6 fumbles his entire career.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

He did have one fumble. Are you unhappy with Singletary because he fumbled four times?

Yeldon has 6 fumbles his entire career.

...but if you read about Yeldon 'round these parts, I thought he was Tiki Barber fumbleitis BAD........he had a stretch with 35 in four seasons.....

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Does Yeldon play special teams.....thought he should have been used more and was not expensive.

I fully expect another back brought in

I dont think he does. His fumbling wasn’t as bad as many of us thought and I felt he got a raw deal, however we do not know what happens behind the seasons. We need 2 backs. Gore won’t be back and all thats left is Singletary. Practice squad rugby guy is a wild card. 

My guess is Kroft, DiMarco, Smith and Murphy get released at some point. I can see waiting until others are signed unless there are bonuses that kick in at the start of the league year. Net of dead cap that saves about $16 million.

They either release Long or re-work as a backup. My guess is they get his cap # down to $2-2.5 so that saves another $1.5-2 million. 

That would give them about $105 million under the cap. I like the thought of Conklin, Hooper and Ngakoue added for a total of $35-40 million. That would leave them $65-70 million under the cap. Draft a WR in rounds 1 and either 4 or 5. 

OL left to right: Dawkins-Ford-Morse-Feliciano-Conklin

TEs: Hooper, Knox, Sweeney

WRs: Brown, Beasley, (hopefully) Higgins or Shenault, 4th/5th rounder, McKenzie/Foster/Duke, Roberts (returns)

RB: Singletary, either vet RB or 4th or 5th rounder, Yeldon

Keeping Star at $10M vs. no Star at $7.8M - Keeping him essentially costs the team $2.2 million. If you look at it as is he worth $2.2 million to be here the answer is a resounding yes so he will stay. I don't think they redo his deal figuring they have Oliver and H. Phillips here long term. 

Hauschka, Roberts, Yeldon all stay, they are cheap but they bring in competition at all those spots and if they get cut it's because they are not good enough to make the 53, not a cap casualty. 

Do 2-3 long term deals for your own (Tre White, Milano, Dawkins).

Nice to dream...

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

I dont think he does. His fumbling wasn’t as bad as many of us thought and I felt he got a raw deal, however we do not know what happens behind the seasons. We need 2 backs. Gore won’t be back and all thats left is Singletary. Practice squad rugby guy is a wild card. 

...think he'd be a major project......we can do better in the draft ala rounds 3+ (no idea who; don't get to watch college ball) for a Derrick Henry type thumper to compliment Singeltary.....and I think there's room for Yeldon.....any draft suggestions later bud?..........

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Expected:

Trent Murphy ($8.95 cap hit / $1.75M dead cap)

Spencer Long ($4.1M cap hit / $700k dead cap)

Surprise:

Star Lotulelei ($10.1M cap hit / $7.8M dead cap)

Tyler Kroft ($6.4M cap hit / $1.6M dead cap)

Lee Smith ($3.25M cap hit / $1M dead cap)

Steven Hauschka ($3M cap hit / $1.25M dead cap)

Pat Dimcarco ($2.35M cap hit / $500k dead cap)

Andre Roberts ($2M cap hit / $500k dead cap)

TJ Yeldon ($1.9M cap hit / $250K dead cap)

Can you explain what purpose these cuts would possibly serve? 

McDermott has said he wants to keep as much of the team together as he can

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...think he'd be a major project......we can do better in the draft ala rounds 3+ (no idea who; don't get to watch college ball) for a Derrick Henry type thumper to compliment Singeltary.....and I think there's room for Yeldon.....any draft suggestions later bud?..........

Jonathon Taylor - RB- Wisconsin

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Well $20M is going to Yannick Ngakoue. Trent Murphy pays for a big chunk of that. 

Then $10M+ to Conklin. Spencer Long savings will help with that. 

Kroft helps pay for Hooper and his $10M.

Then we are in good shape headed to the draft and a few other lower priced free agents. Get AJ Green on a short deal if possible, Robbie Anderson, and draft a WR. 

Have a hunch you'll be disappointed come March!

Believe me I expect to be disappointed. If they sign just one - Hooper. Then I am excited. I know folks like Knox. He is fun to watch but quite the level of a guy like Hooper. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Believe me I expect to be disappointed. If they sign just one - Hooper. Then I am excited. I know folks like Knox. He is fun to watch but quite the level of a guy like Hooper. 

My first choice would be Yannick as that is a much higher position of need.

The problem I have with signing someone like Hooper is you're basically wasting resources in making moves like that.  Knox whom you used a 3rd round pick on now is regulated to the bench and/or the #2 TE and Sweeney may not even make the roster.  Plus you signed two FA last year that at least one likely Kroft would be cut.  Is Hooper a step up from Kroft, yes but at the expense of wasting picks on players who may become just as good, but needs time.  Even if not as goodI highly doubt the difference in productivity between the two justifies the extra money spent on Hooper.

You can spent the money on someone like a Yannick and still have Knox and be improved overall at two positions than signing Hooper.  At this point signing Hooper is more a luxury than a need.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I don't see anyone getting outright cut unless we've already acquired an upgrade at their position. 

Now some of those names might be dangled as trade bait...

Agree with both your points.

Only exception is if they feel one or two of these guys don't fit the system there could be an early cut or trade.

One thing about trades, after the trading team takes a dead cap hit it does bring a marginal players salary into $s that

make sense to the traded-to team.

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Expected:

Trent Murphy ($8.95 cap hit / $1.75M dead cap)

Spencer Long ($4.1M cap hit / $700k dead cap)

Surprise:

Star Lotulelei ($10.1M cap hit / $7.8M dead cap)

Tyler Kroft ($6.4M cap hit / $1.6M dead cap)

Lee Smith ($3.25M cap hit / $1M dead cap)

Steven Hauschka ($3M cap hit / $1.25M dead cap)

Pat Dimcarco ($2.35M cap hit / $500k dead cap)

Andre Roberts ($2M cap hit / $500k dead cap)

TJ Yeldon ($1.9M cap hit / $250K dead cap)

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Purpose would be to upgrade and use these cuts to help make room for it whether it be a roster spot or the cash.

The Bills have only 12 free agents this year. They will bring some of them back possibly and then you have 10 draft picks. So between our own free agents, draft picks and guys we sign there will be some guys let go. 

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Lol it’s years of cap misery and habit for some of our guys I think. 
Plus they’re shopping every need being filled by the top free agent available which is a little costly ??

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Jonathon Taylor - RB- Wisconsin

There's a couple mocks including cbs having us take Taylor in the 1st. If Shenault is gone this would be a good pick. The NFL is cyclical and with teams like Tenn & SF, its moving back to a run heavy trend. Taylor and Singletary would be an awesome combo.

12 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

My first choice would be Yannick as that is a much higher position of need.

The problem I have with signing someone like Hooper is you're basically wasting resources in making moves like that.  Knox whom you used a 3rd round pick on now is regulated to the bench and/or the #2 TE and Sweeney may not even make the roster.  Plus you signed two FA last year that at least one likely Kroft would be cut.  Is Hooper a step up from Kroft, yes but at the expense of wasting picks on players who may become just as good, but needs time.  Even if not as goodI highly doubt the difference in productivity between the two justifies the extra money spent on Hooper.

You can spent the money on someone like a Yannick and still have Knox and be improved overall at two positions than signing Hooper.  At this point signing Hooper is more a luxury than a need.

I’d rather a guy like Olsen who can give you 1 or 2 good years then throw big money at a Hooper. And Olsen’s a veteran presence for Josh.  Trade Carolina one of our extra 5th rounders.  

1 hour ago, jwhit34 said:

My guess is Kroft, DiMarco, Smith and Murphy get released at some point. I can see waiting until others are signed unless there are bonuses that kick in at the start of the league year. Net of dead cap that saves about $16 million.

They either release Long or re-work as a backup. My guess is they get his cap # down to $2-2.5 so that saves another $1.5-2 million. 

That would give them about $105 million under the cap. I like the thought of Conklin, Hooper and Ngakoue added for a total of $35-40 million. That would leave them $65-70 million under the cap. Draft a WR in rounds 1 and either 4 or 5. 

OL left to right: Dawkins-Ford-Morse-Feliciano-Conklin

TEs: Hooper, Knox, Sweeney

WRs: Brown, Beasley, (hopefully) Higgins or Shenault, 4th/5th rounder, McKenzie/Foster/Duke, Roberts (returns)

RB: Singletary, either vet RB or 4th or 5th rounder, Yeldon

Keeping Star at $10M vs. no Star at $7.8M - Keeping him essentially costs the team $2.2 million. If you look at it as is he worth $2.2 million to be here the answer is a resounding yes so he will stay. I don't think they redo his deal figuring they have Oliver and H. Phillips here long term. 

Hauschka, Roberts, Yeldon all stay, they are cheap but they bring in competition at all those spots and if they get cut it's because they are not good enough to make the 53, not a cap casualty. 

Do 2-3 long term deals for your own (Tre White, Milano, Dawkins).

Nice to dream...

I'd be a little worried with that WR grouping.  Rookies often take longer to develop at WR so would like to see them bring in a mid level vet FA with size, contract a little lower than what they gave Brown.  Depend on him for 2020 as the #2guy, and let the rookie have time to develop and can still spell the others or go 4 wide.

WR grouping is then Brown, Beasley, FA, rookie, Roberts and McKenzie/Foster/Duke fighting for the last slot which I think McKenzie would have the edge as he brings more uniqueness to the position.