Off-season: Expected and Surprise Cuts

ngbills

Expected:

Trent Murphy ($8.95 cap hit / $1.75M dead cap)

Spencer Long ($4.1M cap hit / $700k dead cap)

Surprise:

Star Lotulelei ($10.1M cap hit / $7.8M dead cap)

Tyler Kroft ($6.4M cap hit / $1.6M dead cap)

Lee Smith ($3.25M cap hit / $1M dead cap)

Steven Hauschka ($3M cap hit / $1.25M dead cap)

Pat Dimcarco ($2.35M cap hit / $500k dead cap)

Andre Roberts ($2M cap hit / $500k dead cap)

TJ Yeldon ($1.9M cap hit / $250K dead cap)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Well $20M is going to Yannick Ngakoue. Trent Murphy pays for a big chunk of that. 

Then $10M+ to Conklin. Spencer Long savings will help with that. 

Kroft helps pay for Hooper and his $10M.

Then we are in good shape headed to the draft and a few other lower priced free agents. Get AJ Green on a short deal if possible, Robbie Anderson, and draft a WR. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Doubt they'll cut both Smith and Kroft, likely one stays.  Stars a big hit to cut, likely lasts one more year.  Murphey think will be a contract redo involving a paycut... or he goes

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Well $20M is going to Yannick Ngakoue. Trent Murphy pays for a big chunk of that. 

Then $10M+ to Conklin. Spencer Long savings will help with that. 

Kroft helps pay for Hooper and his $10M.

Then we are in good shape headed to the draft and a few other lower priced free agents. Get AJ Green on a short deal if possible, Robbie Anderson, and draft a WR. 

Have a hunch you'll be disappointed come March!

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 7

Expected:

Trent Murphy ($8.95 cap hit / $1.75M dead cap) - Agreed

Spencer Long ($4.1M cap hit / $700k dead cap) - I expect him to stick and possibly reworked.....the guy was solid every time he came in relief

Surprise:

Star Lotulelei ($10.1M cap hit / $7.8M dead cap) - I think he might actually stick.....but the cap hit might make him expendable

Tyler Kroft ($6.4M cap hit / $1.6M dead cap) - God I hope he is gone

Lee Smith ($3.25M cap hit / $1M dead cap) - Made way too much money for a one dimensional penatly machine

Steven Hauschka ($3M cap hit / $1.25M dead cap) - i bet he sticks

Pat Dimcarco ($2.35M cap hit / $500k dead cap) - we can have one of our TE's block for the run

Andre Roberts ($2M cap hit / $500k dead cap) - Makes peanuts and he lowers my anxiety when he is back there catching the ball....improve what is in front of him blocking

TJ Yeldon ($1.9M cap hit / $250K dead cap) - makes penauts.....was under used and should have been playing when Gore started slowing down

In the end....a lot of cap space so probably a lot less cuts when you would think....if they happen I hope they happen because we got somebody better...not because of the money.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the surprise is NOBODY gets cut. 
It’s possible everyone currently under contract makes it to preseason. 

You don’t cut players until someone steps up and takes their job unless you need the money. We do not. 
Might as well load up in the draft, sign who we are going to sign between our guys and free agents. Let the best battle it out. 
Once you have a good idea of your top 53 you can dangle guys for draft picks, trade them for possible depth players, or just outright cut them. What’s the rush to get them off the team? 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Expected:

Surprise:

I would cut everyone on this page except Hauschka & Yeldon. Good kickers are impossible to find and Steven rallied toward the end of the season. Go with him for 1 more year. Yeldon sitting on the sidelines for Gore was plain stupid. He should've been used more in the passing game. I wouldn't hesitate to cut the rest of these unproductive scrubs. Screw loyalty, I want points and real weapons for Josh. Unfortunately Star we're stuck with.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

NOT factoring $ (just performance), I would say...

Cut

Keep

Undecided

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think we cut Murphy unless we

resign Shaq.  He wasn’t that bad imo.  

We won’t cut Long if Spain bolts.  Also not that bad and versatile backup. Not very expensive.

Please cut Lee Smith.

Please cut Dimarco.

Please cut yeldon.

i just have no desire to see those guys in a bills uniform again

16 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think the surprise is NOBODY gets cut. 
It’s possible everyone currently under contract makes it to preseason. 

You don’t cut players until someone steps up and takes their job unless you need the money. We do not. 
Might as well load up in the draft, sign who we are going to sign between our guys and free agents. Let the best battle it out. 
Once you have a good idea of your top 53 you can dangle guys for draft picks, trade them for possible depth players, or just outright cut them. What’s the rush to get them off the team? 

This^^^,  it’s like last years free agency period, TC & preseason, bring in everyone you want and let them fight for their spot, no gimies any more, keep good depth, trade or cut those that don’t perform the way you need them to.  Never make holes in your roster, if you do you are not operating from a position of power when replacing/upgrading those positions.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think we cut Murphy unless we

resign Shaq.  He wasn’t that bad imo.  

We won’t cut Long if Spain bolts.  Also not that bad and versatile backup. Not very expensive.

Please cut Lee Smith.

Please cut Dimarco.

Please cut yeldon.

i just have no desire to see those guys in a bills uniform again

What did you have against Yeldon? He didn't really play and when he did he looked pretty good.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Expected:

Trent Murphy ($8.95 cap hit / $1.75M dead cap) - Agreed

Spencer Long ($4.1M cap hit / $700k dead cap) - I expect him to stick and possibly reworked.....the guy was solid every time he came in relief

Surprise:

Star Lotulelei ($10.1M cap hit / $7.8M dead cap) - I think he might actually stick.....but the cap hit might make him expendable

Tyler Kroft ($6.4M cap hit / $1.6M dead cap) - God I hope he is gone

Lee Smith ($3.25M cap hit / $1M dead cap) - Made way too much money for a one dimensional penatly machine

Steven Hauschka ($3M cap hit / $1.25M dead cap) - i bet he sticks

Pat Dimcarco ($2.35M cap hit / $500k dead cap) - we can have one of our TE's block for the run

Andre Roberts ($2M cap hit / $500k dead cap) - Makes peanuts and he lowers my anxiety when he is back there catching the ball....improve what is in front of him blocking

TJ Yeldon ($1.9M cap hit / $250K dead cap) - makes penauts.....was under used and should have been playing when Gore started slowing down

In the end....a lot of cap space so probably a lot less cuts when you would think....if they happen I hope they happen because we got somebody better...not because of the money.

....very fair assessment....nicely done ....:thumbsup:

56 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Expected:

Surprise:

Hauschka got back on track- I think he stays. Yeldon is gone. Lee Smith gone. Tyler is a wild card- I am conflicted with his status. Dimarco always seems to make it ?‍♂️

I'd also be surprised if they cut Murphy. We don't really have a replacement.

I get you want to upgrade the position, but I think it's foolish to cut guys when you don't have an upgrade already in place. Now maybe they go to camp and a guy shows he can do that and the Bills decide to cut or trade Murphy. I'd be fine with that.

I don't see us moving on from Long. He's quality depth.

DiMarco is a cheap special teams and offensive contributor. Not sure I see the point in cutting him just to pay someone else his money to do the same thing and have to learn the system. People are obsessed with cutting him (because he's a FB I guess?). But all indications are that the coaches and teammates love him. He's a leader and he's been a captain.

From this I'd cut Kroft and Smith and bring the rest back to compete in camp.

• Like (+1) 1