Devin Singletary Highlight Reel

I was somebody that didn't know enough about him when he came out to have a solid stance on him. throughout the season I saw gamebreaker type plays, very good production on limited touches and a deceptively tough runner when in a pile or seemingly wrapped up. I think what I saw was a future feature guy......

so now I ask a guy like @GunnerBill, who actually evaluated him coming out and had stated all the way into the season he didn't see that type of feature guy. has your stance changed? it couldn't possibly be the same as it was back in july, correct? Maybe you've touched on this recently. I might have missed it.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

52 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Anyone remember Brian Westbrook? Well that's Devin Singletary. If Brian Daboll can't find a way to get Singletary 1500 plus scrimmage yards next season I'll be the 1st to say he must go. Can't wait to see him next year.

which  "he"? 

Daboll or Singleterry? 

Love the dude. His contact balance/ability to break tackles, agility/cuts/jukes, and vision is all top notch. I know they say he lacks the "home run speed" but he's plenty quick and he's elusive. Sets up his blocks really well, doesn't look to go out of bounds, fights for every yard, what's not to love? Watching him play early in the season he looked like a seasoned vet, just seems to be one of those players who has an innate understanding of the game, schemes, concepts, etc. Looks like it comes easy for him.

Fun fact: In his spare time, he's a skilled magician. I'm surprised he didn't get in trouble for this, but he had a volunteer from the staff (some guy named Dabs? Dabby? Dobby? Da Bull?) help him make himself disappear... in the midst of a playoff game, no less! Typically, they ask players to keep their hobbies off the field, but I guess ol' Dabs was really determined to see if Motor could actually disappear. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I will also admit to not being too enthusiastic about Singletary when they picked him in the third..

Was hoping they were going to pick TE Jace Sternberger who went the next pick to the Packers... he has been underwhelming to say the least...

Motor has been great and looking forward to an even better year in 2020..

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Then Mystery of Life, Buffalo Bills - WHY DON'T WE GIVE HIM THE BALL MORE?

Or as one of the commenters said "Could have really used a guy like this in the 2nd half vs Houston"

And in OT - why we didn't run the ball to him in OT is absolutely maddening to me...all the time in the world, no need to put it all on Josh when you need to drive ~40 yds and kick a FG. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I was somebody that didn't know enough about him when he came out to have a solid stance on him. throughout the season I saw gamebreaker type plays, very good production on limited touches and a deceptively tough runner when in a pile or seemingly wrapped up. I think what I saw was a future feature guy......

so now I ask a guy like @GunnerBill, who actually evaluated him coming out and had stated all the way into the season he didn't see that type of feature guy. has your stance changed? it couldn't possibly be the same as it was back in july, correct? Maybe you've touched on this recently. I might have missed it.

I am still not absolutely sold on him as a workhorse feature back. I think he can be a #1 back but I suspect from the way the Bills use him that they believe there is an optimum number of carries and it somewhere around 15 or 16 with a solid #2 back to split the load and get 8-10 per game. 

I have been impressed with him. But my view was never that he couldn't play. I was unsure if he could carry the load. He hasn't totally proven that yet. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Anyone remember Brian Westbrook? Well that's Devin Singletary. If Brian Daboll can't find a way to get Singletary 1500 plus scrimmage yards next season I'll be the 1st to say he must go. Can't wait to see him next year.

Bring in Brad Childress

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am still not absolutely sold on him as a workhorse feature back. I think he can be a #1 back but I suspect from the way the Bills use him that they believe there is an optimum number of carries and it somewhere around 15 or 16 with a solid #2 back to split the load and get 8-10 per game. 

I have been impressed with him. But my view was never that he couldn't play. I was unsure if he could carry the load. He hasn't totally proven that yet. 

this is fair. I my only point of debate would be that I think they need to hand that sort of workload over to him and let him prove to them he cant handle it.... he saw a ton of touches at the collegiate level. i'm no professional but my opinion is go into next year like he's a feature guy and utilize him as such until he proves me wrong.

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Just when I got past wanting to stick sharp needles in my eyes over Dabollocks not using Motor in OT.....

Their weakness was their secondary. But I guess we could also say our weakness is our passing game.

Allen should have destroyed that defense but the biggest mistake wasn't what you mention it's not getting Beasley the football. For some reason they wanted to make Duke Williams a #1 WR in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

That's fair.  I think he can be the main guy and  THE guy.  Would like to see him get that opportunity.  He makes plays.  Your point about the optimum carries is interesting though and I wonder if that ties into the work going on in their new facility. 

• Like (+1) 1