Bills final PFF ratings - Offence

DJB

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I disagree.  Pass protection was a serious issue.  Now maybe part of it was scheme, or failing to recognize the D and set the right protections at times.  But there were times when they had the right guys and were just getting shoved back or whupped.

Absolutely!

This was particularly accurate when you look at games against the Eagles and Ravens as both those teams dominated against the Bills O line like they were playing the 2018 Bills.

I cannot understate the value of having a great offensive guard or two. Just ask the Colts who drafted OG Quinton Nelson #6 overall. The Bills drafted Cordy Glenn and while he became an adequate LT, Mike Mayock rated him as a future all pro-pro bowl offensive guard. This is what they have in Cody Ford at RT who would be even better at RG. The Bills need to draft a right tackle or find a top tackle in free agency.

While the Bills greatly upgraded the O line in 2019 there is still room for improvement in my view. Perhaps a WR like Tee Higgins at 6'4'' with his huge catch radius. Although, he ran a 4.75 out of HS. Just saying, a WR with that #1 at 21 is it? Wouldn't be so bad either. 

I don't agree with their grade on Spain and haven't really all year. I think he played significantly better than they graded him. I do agree with their grade on Dawkins. Thought after about week 5 he had a really, really good year. I agree with them on Morse too. He was fine. But he was not the major improvement we paid for and he struggle mightily at times in run blocking. I think they are too high on Nsekhe too. I don't think he was very good. He was just less of a liability than Cody Ford was for much of the year. But he was the prettiest girl in an ugly girl competition.

6 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Jack Conklin is the prized fa at rt.

Did you include 'at' just so you didn't say prized FA RT?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree with their grade on Spain and haven't really all year. I think he played significantly better than they graded him. I do agree with their grade on Dawkins. Thought after about week 5 he had a really, really good year. I agree with them on Morse too. He was fine. But he was not the major improvement we paid for and he struggle mightily at times in run blocking. I think they are too high on Nsekhe too. I don't think he was very good. He was just less of a liability than Cody Ford was for much of the year. But he was the prettiest girl in an ugly girl competition.

I think Spain can also be credited a bit with the improvement we saw in Dawkins. He struggled when his LG wasn't good.

9 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I thought he had some knee issues with the redskins.. 

Yeah, he had a core surgery, then knee issues as a backup in Washington. I remembered cause he left a game I watched early over a knee issue. 
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/ty-nsekhe-player-injuries

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/redskins-week-4-injury-report-ty-nsekhe-out-after-surgery%3famp

So I guess one would need to know more about that the issues are.    It doesn't seem that uncommon...Feliciano made his way onto IR with the Raiders in 2017 and 2018 with the Raiders, not sure why in 2017, 2018 was "calf injury"

16 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

My breakfast this morning was a 64.26.

Do I try something else tomorrow, or is that good enough? 

Help!

How did you arrive at that number, and what does it mean?

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Absolutely!

This was particularly accurate when you look at games against the Eagles and Ravens as both those teams dominated against the Bills O line like they were playing the 2018 Bills.

I cannot understate the value of having a great offensive guard or two. Just ask the Colts who drafted OG Quinton Nelson #6 overall. The Bills drafted Cordy Glenn and while he became an adequate LT, Mike Mayock rated him as a future all pro-pro bowl offensive guard. This is what they have in Cody Ford at RT who would be even better at RG. The Bills need to draft a right tackle or find a top tackle in free agency.

While the Bills greatly upgraded the O line in 2019 there is still room for improvement in my view. Perhaps a WR like Tee Higgins at 6'4'' with his huge catch radius. Although, he ran a 4.75 out of HS. Just saying, a WR with that #1 at 21 is it? Wouldn't be so bad either. 

Wait, if we're upgrading the OL why are we drafting a WR?

But you're right on about the Eagles and Ravens games.  People talk about we lost those games because Josh had a low completion percentage.  That's mixing cause and effect in my view.  Josh had a low completion percentage in some games we lost against strong defenses in part because the OL was getting pushed around, and he needed that extra moment to throw.  Now is there stuff that could be done with play calling and decision making to improve that, sure, but our OL simply isn't good enough to match up against the best defenses.

It's amazing how much worse some great QB look when they don't get that, and their completion percentage drops too.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Did you include 'at' just so you didn't say prized FA RT?

?

Then contrary to what Beane says about not playing at the deep end of the FA pool, maybe we should just go after this Conklin guy if he suits our scheme.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think Spain can also be credited a bit with the improvement we saw in Dawkins. He struggled when his LG wasn't good.

Absolutely, OL is so dependent on the quality of the guy next to you.

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Really hate the Cody Ford pick right now.... you know they are going to force him into the lineup next year. Good or bad. 

They're scouting a lot of tackles. I think they'll give him a chance to earn it, but it seems to me that they're far from convinced. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, MJS said:

Well, those numbers aren't really numbers, though. They are subjective guesses. It's the same as arbitrarily assigning a letter grade or gold stars.

They would like to view their method as data collection, but it is nothing of the sort.

Subjective guesses that are made without even knowing what a players assignment is on any given play...how does this make any sense?

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

They're scouting a lot of tackles. I think they'll give him a chance to earn it, but it seems to me that they're far from convinced. 

I am hoping they plan to move him inside.  It does bolix up the continuity to some extent to shift players around, but you can't improve something that isn't working well enough without making some change.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

My breakfast this morning was a 64.26.

Do I try something else tomorrow, or is that good enough? 

Help!

Was that 64.26 pieces of bacon? or is that a combined count of bacon and eggs? ;)

PFF is a mix, the English language mixed with large measures of gibberish and jabberwocky, with then, predictable meanings and outcomes, that only those who know the secret handshake get the translation back into English so as to get any meaningful information from their years of selfless professional investigation and study. Gee guys you ought to know this already... 

Go Bills!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

He’s good, but his injury history says he will never survive a full season as a starter. He’s no spring chicken. 
He’s better served as depth who can step in and play at a high level when needed. The ultimate swing tackle if you will. 
Getting a legit starting right tackle should be fairly high on the list unless they’re keeping Ford there. 

Tough to blame him in anyway for the ankle injury.  I thought there was no way he'd play again this year as the way it was rolled looked almost as bad as could be.

12 hours ago, BeefCurtns said:

We need a big running back for tough yards. It would be like Mike Alstott and Warrick Dunn ( Singletary already better than Dunn was on his best day)  from the late 90's Bucs . We do that and get a solid WR we are golden.

Dunn had over 2,000 yards rushing and 800 yards receiving in his first two seasons.  (He’s directly behind OJ Simpson and Shady McCoy on the career rushing list and has another 4,000 yards receiving.) How is Singletary already better than that?

Evidently the team has a hybrid of Russell Wilson and Pat Mahomes at QB and a first ballot HOFer at RB.  Not sure how 22 teams scored more points.