Run block - 49.4

Overall - 52.4

T Neskhe 

Pass pro - 71.1

Run block - 69.1

Overall - 67.3

Some thoughts

- Beasley and Smoke were solid

- Singletary was terrific running the ball and needs to work on the recieving game

- Knox was average. He was pretty decent when it was a TE run which reflects his numbers there

- Dawkins is a solid LT. 

- Spains numbers reflect the eye test with me. I thought he was poor all year long and the numbers agree

- Cody Ford is a work in progress. Probably should be moved inside

- Feliciano and Morse are solid 

- Neskhe had great numbers and deserves to be the full time RT next season

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well, those numbers aren't really numbers, though. They are subjective guesses. It's the same as arbitrarily assigning a letter grade or gold stars.

They would like to view their method as data collection, but it is nothing of the sort.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DJB said:

He’s good, but his injury history says he will never survive a full season as a starter. He’s no spring chicken. 
He’s better served as depth who can step in and play at a high level when needed. The ultimate swing tackle if you will. 
Getting a legit starting right tackle should be fairly high on the list unless they’re keeping Ford there. 

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, DJB said:

For those that enjoy the PFF ratings . 

Josh Allen

Passing - 61.9

Rushing - 65.8

Overall - 64.2

Cole Beasley

Recieving - 73.8

Overall - 73.6

John Brown

Rushing - 50.9

Receiving - 75.9

Overall - 75.8

Isaiah McKenzie 

Rushing - 73.7

Receiving - 66.0

Overall - 68.8

Duke Williams 

Receiving 64.8

Overall - 65.3

D Singletary 

Rushing - 74.9

Recieving - 47.7

Overall - 66.0

Dawson Knox 

Recieving  - 55.3

Rushing - 62.8

Overall  - 60.0

Dion Dawkins 

Pass pro - 76.4

Run block - 64.0

Overall - 73.3

Q Spain

Pass pro - 70.4

Run block - 45.8

Overall - 55.4

M Morse 

Pass pro - 71.1

Run block - 62.6

Overall - 66.4

J Feliciano

Pass pro - 66.6

Run block - 63.2

Overall - 64.1

C Ford 

Pass pro - 57.7

Run block - 49.4

Overall - 52.4

T Neskhe 

Pass pro - 71.1

Run block - 69.1

Overall - 67.3

Some thoughts

- Beasley and Smoke were solid

- Singletary was terrific running the ball and needs to work on the recieving game

- Knox was average. He was pretty decent when it was a TE run which reflects his numbers there

- Dawkins is a solid LT. 

- Spains numbers reflect the eye test with me. I thought he was poor all year long and the numbers agree

- Cody Ford is a work in progress. Probably should be moved inside

- Feliciano and Morse are solid 

What do these numbers even mean?  

Someone, @Logic I think, posted some top-notch PFF stuff elsewhere - "heat map" showing how often we targeted different areas of the field relative to NFL average, overthrow distance graph, stuff based on hard data.  Fascinating.

As far as I can tell, with this stuff they could say

D Singletary 

Rushing - Quetzalcoatl

Recieving - Overcoat

Overall - Lithoplasty

and it would have about as much objective meaning, as far as I can tell

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

He’s good, but his injury history says he will never survive a full season as a starter. He’s no spring chicken. 
He’s better served as depth who can step in and play at a high level when needed. The ultimate swing tackle if you will. 
Getting a legit starting right tackle should be fairly high on the list unless they’re keeping Ford there. 

So I'm curious about this.  I googled and looked a few places.

What exactly is Nsekhe's injury history that leads you to say this?

He is an older guy (34) but given his path to the NFL, he's probably had a bit less wear and tear from weekly games than many at that age.  He's been in the league 5 years.  If you know his backstory, he barely played for a college program and broke in to the NFL through Arena League ball and a CFL stint.

I can't find anything on him other than two broken fingers in an arena league game, he was waived and IR'd by the Saints back in 2014 which can be a means to stash a player for a bit, and then this year's ankle sprain or whatever it was.  He didn't play that much in Washington but that's because he was their backup swing tackle.

Knock these rankings all you want, but they certainly have some merit.

Allen needs to get better. We all know that. 

Spain rated 45!!!! as a run blocker, which surprises me 0.0 percent. He needs to go. Cody Ford also graded low as a run blocker. That's a problem for a guy his size.

My main takeaway is that the offensive line needs to add a couple part to become a competent RUN BLOCK unit. The pass pro wasn't all that much of an issue.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

We need a big running back for tough yards. It would be like Mike Alstott and Warrick Dunn ( Singletary already better than Dunn was on his best day)  from the late 90's Bucs . We do that and get a solid WR we are golden.

Not saying Singletary can't become a better rb than Dunn, but to say he is a better running back than Dunn ever was is stretching it a bit IMO. You do realize Dunn had a very good career and almost 11,000 rushing yards in the league BC? I am bias about my team at times but that is kind of silly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BeefCurtns said:

We need a big running back for tough yards. It would be like Mike Alstott and Warrick Dunn ( Singletary already better than Dunn was on his best day)  from the late 90's Bucs . We do that and get a solid WR we are golden.

Gotta be honest, I don’t love the clamor for a big back.  Give me a decently sized back with speed and the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and I’m a lot happier. 

43 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Spain rated 45!!!! as a run blocker, which surprises me 0.0 percent. He needs to go. Cody Ford also graded low as a run blocker. That's a problem for a guy his size.

My main takeaway is that the offensive line needs to add a couple part to become a competent RUN BLOCK unit. The pass pro wasn't all that much of an issue.

I disagree.  Pass protection was a serious issue.  Now maybe part of it was scheme, or failing to recognize the D and set the right protections at times.  But there were times when they had the right guys and were just getting shoved back or whupped.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I'm curious about this.  I googled and looked a few places.

What exactly is Nsekhe's injury history that leads you to say this?

He is an older guy (34) but given his path to the NFL, he's probably had a bit less wear and tear from weekly games than many at that age.  He's been in the league 5 years.  If you know his backstory, he barely played for a college program and broke in to the NFL through Arena League ball and a CFL stint.

I can't find anything on him other than two broken fingers in an arena league game, he was waived and IR'd by the Saints back in 2014 which can be a means to stash a player for a bit, and then this year's ankle sprain or whatever it was.  He didn't play that much in Washington but that's because he was their backup swing tackle.

I thought he had some knee issues with the redskins.. 

Yeah, he had a core surgery, then knee issues as a backup in Washington. I remembered cause he left a game I watched early over a knee issue. 
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/ty-nsekhe-player-injuries

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/redskins-week-4-injury-report-ty-nsekhe-out-after-surgery%3famp

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I disagree.  Pass protection was a serious issue.  Now maybe part of it was scheme, or failing to recognize the D and set the right protections at times.  But there were times when they had the right guys and were just getting shoved back or whupped.

As far as PFF, I said "some" merit because I do know NFL teams use their info. I've read quite a bit about their methodology that I can't recall at the moment because I'm losing EVERY bet I made, but I believe the consensus is that there are flaws, but the info is still somewhat useful. 

I think a great deal of the pass pro issues came from one position and that's RT. There were times when they seemed out of sync with the play call, but I'd say the pass pro was LESS of an issue than the overall run blocking. In other words, I think it's easier to fix the issues with pass pro considering there was a serious liability at just one position.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Well, those numbers aren't really numbers, though. They are subjective guesses. It's the same as arbitrarily assigning a letter grade or gold stars.

Never realized numbers weren't really numbers.

Given that, a gold, silver, red or blue star rating system would be more convincing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It honestly was too frequent during the season

• Like (+1) 1