PFWA selected Harbaugh & Roman as Coaches of the Year John Lynch as Executive of the Year

Reed83HOF

You can't argue against the choices logically. SF got Bosa, Dee Ford, Emanuel Sanders, and Deebo Samuel. They went from 2nd worst team to the #1 seed and NFC title game. No one expected Baltimore to dominate the regular season as they did either. 

im a big roman fan, but with the titans game we saw more of the limits of his system than necessarily of the QB (there is that too though).

the reason why a pro set standard O and a balanced 4-3 is the standard NFL scheme is because it is less interdependent on everything else compared to these more "gimmick" systems.  

i do think with a more well rounded QB/roster (maybe LJax grows his skill set into his 3rd year like we hope allen does) roman has it in him to create more advantages for his O.

also, the rock paper scissors nature of the NFL just never ends.  titans run a 1960s O and even sick modern Ds aren't able to defend against it.  while i wish we beat Hou and KC and had a home AFC chip game, i'd be worried sick about us stopping that running attack.

There were half a dozen good candidates.  I was very impressed with the way Brian Flores got his team to improve over the course of the year.  No tanking there.  They started out historically bad and finished by beating NE in NE in a game NE needed desperately.

McDermott has been performing at a high level and his team is beginning to reflect that.  The Bills are a very good team but not quite elite.  Yet.

Mike Tomlin might have done the best job of all, making Pittsburgh a very tough team to play despite losing Roethlisberger, Bell, and Brown since a couple of years ago.  

I'm not sure Harbaugh deserves this award as much as Roman does.  I'm glad to see them both recognized.  I thought Roman was a good OC while he was in Buffalo but he didn't have the freedom to innovate like Harbaugh gave him.  Also he didn't have Lamar Jackson.  

Matt LaFleur and Pete Carroll also had excellent years, getting more out of their teams than people thought possible considering some glaring areas of weakness.  

So fine.  Good for the guys who won the awards.  They should all keep in mind though that Gerard Gallant of the Vegas Golden Knights was coach of the year in the NHL just two years ago, and he got canned this week.  What have you done for me lately.

Makes sense. If McDermott could have beaten the Pats and then played starters and beaten the Jets, he would have been firmly in the running. And that would have put Beane firmly in the running.

8 hours ago, Chaos said:

I would have picked Vrabel. Did more with less when it mattered most.   Just not as flashy nor part of the national media narrative.  

Hmm, well he got his team to 9-7. They are usually around that win total. This year Tannehill (of all people) bailed him out.

I think he's actually not that great of a coach, personally. He makes many questionable decisions midgame. But this year things have worked out well for him down the stretch.

PFWA?

pfff waaa? 

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh defended Lamar Jackson's playoff failure on Friday, highlighting the progress the quarterback has made in two NFL seasons.

"He's 23 years old. He's younger than Joe Burrow, OK?" Harbaugh said at his end-of-season news conference. "So he's got a pretty good head start right now. I mean, he's along the way.

hahahahahaha ?