NYG requested permission to interview Daboll for OC - DENIED

Reed83HOF

8 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Daboll is an enigma. He can be very frustrating.

All that aside, if the Bills think he's the best person for the job, then I will accept that.

This is where I'm at. While I'm somewhat indifferent to Daboll (don't love him, don't hate him), Coach McDermott has earned my trust through three seasons, and if he believes that Daboll is the right man for the job, then so be it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

BUT TSW tells us all the time that Daboll is terrible!

Why the interest?

And both of the teams interested have young QBs that they need developed the right way. Maybe some people around the league think Daboll is doing a good enough job with Josh to try to hire him.

Heck, if I were those teams, I would bring in the O coordinators and QB coaches for all the teams with young QBs just to have the conversation. What worked or didn't work with your guy? What would you do differently? If you were hired here how would you handle our young QB? It's like free consulting.

This is just stupid...why would a team try to interview someone for a lateral move? As if the team they are requesting permission from is just going to be like "Oh sure, go interview him, we will just find someone else"

26 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

Will I say I'm certain Daboll is an amazing coordinator? no.  

However, Josh Allen is progressing, and that's enough for me to say let the show go on.

Yeah, this is a situation where a lot people would be wise to "be careful what you ask for".  We don't know how much Daboll is responsible for Allen's progression from year 1 to year 2, but from people in the know its considered A LOT.  

Replace the OC and you could see Allen regress and potentially regress badly from year 2 to year 3.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Why couldn't Daboll have been allowed to interview for the position?  Good way to get rid of his bearded bowling ball head without having to fire him.

I don't know...Maybe the smarter people are not firing him?

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Three years of the same coaching hierarchy in Buffalo? That's unheard of!

this will have benefits if they also stabalize the players as well.  Knowing the system is key to making it work.  Should have a lot of that next season...not 9 new starters on the O particularily.  (if we can resign them, anyhow)  Daboll is part of Josh Allen's progression, and that is what the rest of the league is noticing.  Bringing on a young Daniel Jones is what the G men had in mind.  Denying interview for a laterial is fine....give Daboll a raise and an attaboy.

Edited by bigK14094

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

GTFOH Giants. 

I’m glad the Bills denied it. There’s no reason to let Daboll interview for a lateral move unless the Bills are trying to get rid of him (which quite clearly they’re not). I want continuity for Josh and the entire offense. Daboll has been good for Allen’s development so far and there’s no reason to mess with that IMO.

People like to assume a new OC would be better for Allen but the opposite could also be true. If most of us agree that Josh is developing pretty nicely so far, why do people want to mess with that? I’ve been a Bills fan (and a sports fan in general) long enough to know that the next hire isn’t always automatically better than the previous one. 

This "grass is always greener in the other guy's yard" attitude of fans always drives me nuts. As if it's a foregone conclusion anybody they bring in is going to be better.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Steptide said:

If I'm daboll i wouldn't want the oc job for the giants. He's spent the last 2 years grooming Allen and now he'd have to essentially start from scratch with a new offense. Can't imagine it'd be THAT much more money either 

More money in the NYC area won't buy as much as he has in this area......not to mention his family in the area.

Glad to have him back. I expect our offense to explode under Daboll year 3. Barring a catastrophic injury to Josh Allen I think we go deep in the playoffs next year. I find it awesome that Allen has the same teacher 3 years in a row. We have talent on the offensive side of the ball but we’re still really rough around the edges. OL needs to be tweaked, need to drastically rehaul the skill positions, but the meat and potatoes is there.

Edited by Sunshower

3 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

This "grass is always greener in the other guy's yard" attitude of fans always drives me nuts. As if it's a foregone conclusion anybody they bring in is going to be better.

I am not sure the question that needs to be asked is "will someone else be better"?

The first question that needs to be asked is "Will Daboll be good enough to lead make the offense championship caliber?"  If the answer is yes, then the questions stop there
If the answer is no, then the next question is "Is my goal really too win the championship?".  If the answer to that question is yes, then the next question Among the hundreds of college head coaches, NFL position coaches and ex-NFL head coaches and OC, is there someone who MIGHT be good enough to build a championship offense.  If the answer to tha t question is yes, then hire that person.  If the answer to that question is no, then you have have to find a new goal other than winning the championship. 

In the words of the fictional but brilliant Reese Bobby "If you ain't first, you're last."    sidenote, Mr. Bobby later recanted saying he must have been high when he made the initial statement.