NYG requested permission to interview Daboll for OC - DENIED

Reed83HOF

TBD has been surprisingly accurate regarding their whipping boys post Rex.

Zay Jones, Kelvin Benjamin, Ryan Groy, Russell Bodine,  Juan Castillo, Nathan Peterman (post-savior state), Tyrod Taylor, Danny Crossman has all been shaded pretty hard and 

I don't know think any of these guys have had much success elsewhere yet. 

Dabol along with Cody Ford are probably the top whipping boys right now.  I don't know if Dabol is a good coach but I am pretty sure not simplifying a really complex system for a 2nd year QB with 9 new starters on offense is not a great idea.

Of course, Ed Oliver was developing into a whipping boy until he turned it around the second half of the year so the board is not always right.

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

No matter how you slice it............

2020 could be Daboll’s last year as Bills OC.

Either he will do such a good job that someone will hire him as HC or he will be fired for the regression of Allen and the offense.

Just a gut feeling and I hope it’s the former.

I think this is likely right. The window for where Daboll shows sufficient progress with Josh and the scheme as to be retained but not enough as to at least get numerous interviews next hiring season (and the story from the Browns is he interviewed extremely well) is a pretty small one.

Unbelievable everyone here who wants to condemn Daboll for the woes on offense.

Sure.  Let's forget about the role the head coach plays.  Let's forget about the role a young, developing quarterback plays.

Does anyone have proof the conservative shift with a lead was from McDermott or Daboll?  McDermott is a huge proponent of avoiding turnovers on offense. Hmmm, how to do that with a lead and young QB?

Do people realize Josh Allen wasn't consistent enough to always take advantage of Daboll's complex play designs?  I witnessed this myself against Cleveland.

Does Daboll request Gore be in there or was that McDermott, who is on record as feeling a two RB system is necessary?

I agree that sometimes Daboll tried some stuff that was ill conceived (assuming Allen didn't audible), but it was infrequent and I like that he's always trying different approaches.

I also saw a lot of diverse, excellently called series to get us down the field and score.

Bottom line for me is Daboll isn't perfect but is doing a solid job overall and seems to mesh greatly with Allen who is going into his most important developmental year. 

Yeah, let's fire him or let him walk??

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Augie said:

I’d like to add talent, including some serious playmakers, and see what can happen with another year of growth from Josh. The Browns have had 7 HC’s since 2012 under Haslam. Constant change gets you nowhere. I like that they blocked this. Let’s give it another year. 

Exactly Augie.  Josh and the team need continuity to continue their ascension.  I know a lot of you don’t like him, but has done a lot right, and McD has paid attention to the tape and behind closed doors probably explained how he wants to see things change in play calling in certain situations.  Defensive coaches watch tape on opposing offenses obviously so know what works and what does not.

It will be good for Josh to have the same coordinator for multiple years.  My opinion is the Bills made the right call, and for all we know, Daboll asked Beane to decline it to save face as he wanted to be a Bill.  He also might have the request as leverage to gain a larger income.  None of us know from the inside what went on in this decision.  I’m just spit balling, but there are a lot of variables that we will never know.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Daboll did ok with a developing QB that is hardly a finished product, one capable RB (which really limits what you can do offensively), nine new starters overall on offense (which was a headache all season), a rookie as your top TE ( who can be a monster), no reliable number one target at WR, the continuing revolving door at RT, the OL as a whole playing severely banged up all year.

Did I miss anything?

All in all, with the right off season additions, the Bills could have their best offense in years and Daboll will be the beneficiary.

If it fails, Daboll will be the 2020 scapegoat.

• Like (+1) 2

If we can't blame Daboll, then who is to blame?  I am so sick of people happy with an Offense that struggles to put teams away, put up 20 points & incapable of passing for 300 yards.

The defense was 24th in the league, which I guess is a huge jump from 29-31 the prior two years, but to be satisfied, stupifies me.

No I didn't expect a jump like the LA Rams made in 2017, but yes year 2 of Josh I wanted to see a minimum of 5 games that the offense clicked for 4 quarters.  

Tired of this 9 new players excuse & how some here are so enamored with the Process that they push everything out another year.......  

Look at John DeFilippo (and no I had no idea who he was either) & how he has got 3 OC jobs & fired after 1 year in each one.....  These guys all seem to rebound and some team thinks they are the answer.

If someone wants Daboll, good for them & move on.....   

To me if they are so high on Daboll, then they are down on Allen & think he's the reason the offense ranked as high as 24th, which says little about Allen......?

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

If we can't blame Daboll, then who is to b;lame?  I am so sick of people happy with an Offense that struggles to put teams away, put up 20 points & incapable of passing for 300 yards.

Brandon Beane, ultimately. He admitted it himself in his end of season presser too. In his own words he did a "lousy" job with putting together a competitive offense in 2018 and still has "work to do" as compared to the offensive talent he gave the coaches in 2019.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Brandon Beane, ultimately. He admitted it himself in his end of season presser too. In his own words he did a "lousy" job with putting together a competitive offense in 2018 and still has "work to do" as compared to the offensive talent he gave the coaches in 2019.

Easy out.....  Protect your coaches & in a position of power be able to deflect properly.

Still the inability to look proficient on Offense was an issue.....  I guess Daboll could show an endless loop of games vs. Miami (and yes the Dallas game too).......  

16 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

If we can't blame Daboll, then who is to blame?  I am so sick of people happy with an Offense that struggles to put teams away, put up 20 points & incapable of passing for 300 yards.

The defense was 24th in the league, which I guess is a huge jump from 29-31 the prior two years, but to be satisfied, stupifies me.

No I didn't expect a jump like the LA Rams made in 2017, but yes year 2 of Josh I wanted to see a minimum of 5 games that the offense clicked for 4 quarters.  

Tired of this 9 new players excuse & how some here are so enamored with the Process that they push everything out another year.......  

Look at John DeFilippo (and no I had no idea who he was either) & how he has got 3 OC jobs & fired after 1 year in each one.....  These guys all seem to rebound and some team thinks they are the answer.

If someone wants Daboll, good for them & move on.....   

To me if they are so high on Daboll, then they are down on Allen & think he's the reason the offense ranked as high as 24th, which says little about Allen......?

Huh? The Defense was #2 in the league....maybe you meant Offense? If so, then the rest of it makes sense.

I don't agree with your opinion, but at least it explains the rest of your post. 

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Easy out.....  Protect your coaches & in a position of power be able to deflect properly.

Still the inability to look proficient on Offense was an issue.....  I guess Daboll could show an endless loop of games vs. Miami (and yes the Dallas game too).......  

I disagree. The main problem on offense remains talent. Brandon Beane knows that and he knows that he has to help. The coaching has a role to play too. The young guys - Knox, Ford, Singletary, Sweeney etc need to be developed. But they need to add top end talent. That is inarguable.

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’m happy they blocked it. We’ve had a few teams sniffing around assistant coaches and coordinators. I like the bills sending the message that unless it’s early in the hiring process and a substantial promotion there shouldn’t be a request. 

And by promotion it means HC. Because every other position can be blocked. 

• Like (+1) 1

If he has a good year this year, he'll be a head coach next year. Let him show what he can do with an offense that will largely return next year. He had crap to work with year 1, year 2 was better but everyone was new. This should be a good year for him to show his chops. I expect a top 10 offense. Not necessarily top 5 but at least they should be consistently good. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And by promotion it means HC. Because every other position can be blocked. 

For sure. If position coaches were getting coordinator offers I think in most cases the Bills would let them interview even if they are not obliged to. However, the later you get into Jan the more disruptive that becomes and the more likely a team are to say no. You only ever let you coorindators move laterally if you are about to move on from them anyway.

• Like (+1) 1