So whatever will happen to "Right Josh" Rosen?

10 hours ago, tcampbell104 said:

i think that if new england traded for him and he got to sit behind brady for a year it could revive his career. the guy does have talent the pats offense with belichick coaching could be a .match 

I would love for him to take the reigns of the Pats post Brady and we get to pummel him twice a year.  He's soft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He got traded away from AZ to the Tanking Dolphins for a 2nd round and 5th round pick which is quite a value drop for a top-10 pick.

He then got beat out by Fitzmagic for the starting job on the tanking Dolphins.

Fitzmagic predictably bollixed up the Phins tank to the tune of 5 wins, but they're still drafting pretty high.

What happens to Rosen?  He's under contract for 2 more years.  He's got substantial guaranteed money as roster bonuses.  $4.9M dead cap to cut him.

Just curiousity here.  I heard a piece on some football talk show mid-season where Jordan Palmer was still expressing the viewpoint that Rosen could play and hadn't really been put in a position to succeed.  The Phins, by the way, do have Fitzy under contract for 2020 with an $8M salary ($4M is guaranteed).  That guy, I tell ya.  Career earnings of $63.5M and counting.

He’ll most likely play out his contract as a back up at least for the upcoming year, and maybe they give him a shot again in 2021.  He’s not worth anything on a trade, and Miami will probably also pick a QB with their first pick.  They have so many holes to replace in what they gave away, that they are far behind us in a rebuild.

Rosen has already gotten rich off of football compared to the average person in life. If he manages money well he will never have to work a day the rest thereof. As far as his career goes? Who knows? He can throw a football. You saw that in his time at UCLA. He would have to be in the right system and thoroughly coached up. He hasn't been put in the best positions to succeed thus far, that's for sure. I'd say right now he has the chance to be a Matt Moore, Chad Henne type of player, but it doesn't look like he will ever be any team's chosen starter. 

What exactly does Rosen do well? Thats the question you need to ask

Is he a quick decision maker? Is he deadly accurate? Is he a good leader? A play maker?

To me he is a JAG. If he was drafted in the third round he might be out of the league already. I'm not sure I can say he does anything well. His best hope is a career like Blaine Gabbert. Hang around for 8 years backing up and hope you never have to play

10 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Some people didn't want Rosen because he was an open atheist in a league of holy rollers. Besides his own poor performances, I cant help but wonder if the fact that he isn't a believer hasn't also hurt his chances in the NFL. Nate Peterman who was much worse in performance and potential talent, got a lot of mileage out of the religious factor. Maybe Rosen is the opposite?

Nope. he just sucks

Edited by Captain Hindsight

Yeah, this is a tricky one to predict.  He could succeed if he happened to end up in the perfect scenario (like the Patriots* speculation in this thread) or he could end up a career backup.  There will probably be a day about 5 years from now where he will be an all but forgotten backup somewhere, finally get an opportunity to play and have modest success for a few seasons.

I really missed in my evaluation of him. I thought the smarts and release he has shown would offset the lack of mobility. 

I really think if he really ever gets the “want to” he could still be good. But right now I got his draft evaluation wrong. 

I was never a fan. When I watched the discussions of him coming out, praising his ability, it all seemed like a stretch. He never passed the eye test to me. 

Then, when the talk came out about his personality (I took it with a grain of salt, partially), I was soooooo happy we took JA. 

I’ll never root against anyone but I don’t see this guy being a game changer on par with his draft status. 

5 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Rosens biggest issue in the NFL thus far in his career has nothing to do with arm strength or lack of mobility. If you watch the kid it looks like the game is moving too fast for him. He’s been late on a lot of throws, and seems to be missing easy reads. He also developed a hitch in his delivery that I didn’t notice in college. 

All this surprises me because Rosen has been a QB prodigy his entire life. I would have thought he’d be more advanced with regards to the mental part of the game coming into the league. That said he got drafted into a terrible situation with a bad OL and bad offensive coaching which certainly didn’t help. 

To the bolded: that's very common with young QBs.  The exception is young QBs who work with a QB-friendly OC who breaks it down for them and makes the system as simple as possible.  It's not necessarily a problem - what the OC wants, I think, is a QB who processes what he sees and makes good decisions, even if they're too late initially.  The hope is that just as a musician becomes able to play a difficult piece of music faster with pattern recognition and correct, slower practice, the QB's mental processing will speed up as pattern recognition and practice kick in.  The other side of the story is a QB who just reads and reacts even if the read and the reaction are wrong much of the time and lead to picks.

I do think that Rosen became a victim of his own expectations, as did Mayfield to some degree. Josh Allen came into the league "knowing what he didn't know".  Rosen came into the league knowing that he'd been a QB prodigy his whole life and expecting that to continue.  He had to waste time learning what he didn't know before he could start learning what he needed to know.  It's all between the lines of some of the interview comments he's made about shadowing Fitz and learning how he approaches game prep, trying to predict where he's gonna throw etc.

2 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

This is a league for beasts, not sissies. Rosen is a sissy

I don't think "sissy" is a good description of any QB who has shown the ability to take a hit in the NFL and come back for the next play.  The man took 45 sacks his rookie season.

Doesn't mean he'll become a capable NFL QB, but he's not a sissy.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To answer the original question -- I don't really care all that much.  I think Rosen made himself look like a dufus after the draft, and despite being thrown into less-than-ideal situations he hasn't looked the part of a QB1.  I think the odds of him becoming anything more than a clipboard holder grow longer by the day.  I mean, if the tanking Dolphins aren't willing to put the time into him who will?

5 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

There is certainly an amount of projection involved, but two seasons in is not too early to start thinking about the possibility. Outside of Jackson, the other 4 QB's have some serious question marks. Based on recent history, we generally have a decent idea as to who these are by now. Time will tell. As far as Darnold and Mayfield go, they COULD turn into franchise guys, but I don't personally see it.

Allen is the guy I view as being the least "settled."Definitely improved a great deal in year 2. Still has a LONG ways to go, but he's got the highest ceiling. Doesn't mean he'll get there, but he's got a better shot than the other two IMO.

I don't want to come off as dissing the "league MVP", but at this point, I think it has to be acknowledged that Jackson has some gaps in his QB game that several strong defenses have managed to exploit.

Agree about Allen.   The keys to me are:

1) will he succeed in engraining a change to his footwork deeply enough so that it holds under pressure, in a game?

2) will he stop paying lip service to the "take what they give you" mantra and actually start being able to live by it?

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, KzooMike said:

He is as close to Nate Peterson as any QB I can remember. So INT prone and seemingly always pick 6's. I will eat a whole bucket of crow on him as I preferred him to Allen.   

I'll openly admit I preferred him during the draft too.  Although Allen has clearly shown all the traits we all knew he had, he's still exhibiting the accuracy issues that have been following him from college.  I love the guy now, and can only hope he can develop.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I didn’t like him pre draft. That said he’s been given zero chance to succeed. I would have to guess if he can’t win the offseason and come out next year and beat out Fitz for that job on what should be a much more talented dolphin offense his chance of being a successful starter may be over. Of course that hinges on them not getting another quarterback rather rookie, trade or free agent. 
I would actually like him to end up in Pittsburgh if Miami doesn’t work out. I feel like they could utilize his talent. 

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I didn’t like him pre draft. That said he’s been given zero chance to succeed. I would have to guess if he can’t win the offseason and come out next year and beat out Fitz for that job on what should be a much more talented dolphin offense his chance of being a successful starter may be over. Of course that hinges on them not getting another quarterback rather rookie, trade or free agent. 
I would actually like him to end up in Pittsburgh if Miami doesn’t work out. I feel like they could utilize his talent. 

What is this “zero chance to succeed” thing? He’s a freaking prodigy. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I was relatively low on him, but I still had him graded as a mid-to-late 1st round pick (just happened to be the lowest of the big 5). Unfortunately for him, he's ended up with two teams that bring out the worst in him. He was legitimately horrible whenever there was pressure in college; he was then drafted to a team with the worst offensive line in the NFL and subsequently traded to another lackluster offensive line in Miami. I never believed he had the potential to be a great QB, but I definitely think he had the potential to be better than he's been so far. Like I said, he desperately needs a team that can protect him.

If Miami decides to just dump him elsewhere (can't imagine they'd get much in return at this point), teams like Pittsburgh, Indy, New England, Tennessee, and New Orleans might make sense. Those teams can all protect him and could be searching for a potential future starter.

Edited by DCOrange

13 hours ago, sven233 said:

Not that he has been great while getting a chance to start, but he's gotten a pretty raw deal if you ask me.  Two terrible organizations with absolutely no chance of winning with a young QB.  I'm not sure what will end up happening to him, but I do hope that he ends up in a good situation on a good team where he can backup for a couple years while working on his craft.

At some point you have to show something in practice to get into the games. Obviously he hasn't consistently enough.  

He'll get moved post-draft.  Miami will pick a QB in this one whether its Tua, or Fromm, or Herbert etc.  Free agency will shake out, and there will be teams out there looking for a young QB to groom/compete.  

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

When Rosen with sitting with Grandpa Aaron Rogers (who seemingly became 65 years old all of a sudden) talking about winning more Super Bowls than Brady before he was even drafted it was a big red flag for me. 

How about i dunno - one?