So whatever will happen to "Right Josh" Rosen?

29 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I hate this excuse (“he was on a bad team...”). As I recall, Josh Allen played with Robert Foster as his #1 WR and Pillsbury Benjamin and a patchwork Oline his rookie season. And “two terrible organizations with no chance for a young QB” yet Fitzpatrick (age 30+ ) was able to garner wins, TD’s and players’ respect? Maybe y’all need to re-think the skill set of the poor, young QB before criticizing the team he is playing for. 

So Fitzpatrick as a rookie or 2nd year QB would have been dazed, confused, and pulverized on the Dolphins.

The fact that Allen managed to bring excitement, first downs, and sometimes completed passes to the Bills with Robert Foster, Pillsbury, and no O-line is the reason I bellied up for my serving of Crow Pot Pie on the Other Josh.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He got traded away from AZ to the Tanking Dolphins for a 2nd round and 5th round pick which is quite a value drop for a top-10 pick.

He then got beat out by Fitzmagic for the starting job on the tanking Dolphins.

Fitzmagic predictably bollixed up the Phins tank to the tune of 5 wins, but they're still drafting pretty high.

What happens to Rosen?  He's under contract for 2 more years.  He's got substantial guaranteed money as roster bonuses.  $4.9M dead cap to cut him.

Just curiousity here.  I heard a piece on some football talk show mid-season where Jordan Palmer was still expressing the viewpoint that Rosen could play and hadn't really been put in a position to succeed.  The Phins, by the way, do have Fitzy under contract for 2020 with an $8M salary ($4M is guaranteed).  That guy, I tell ya.  Career earnings of $63.5M and counting.

I think he’s ruined

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Brees.  That man has a pocket sense that is amazing.  He's like the Rocky Horror Picture Show for a pass rush - it's just a jump to the left and a step to the right, a little duck, and the pass rushers slide off him like he's teflon coated.

No, Josh Rosen is no Drew Brees.

How he even sees his WR's blows me away with his height and lack of mobility.  I'm not comparing him to Rosen.  Just pointing out an immobile QB can still thrive in the right system.  I highly doubt Rosen succeeds in this league as a starter, but I wouldn't give up on him at this point.

Rosen does not have the pre-requisite arm strength required to excel at the NFL level, especially when you take into account his lack of mobility. He's in this position because he's simply not a good QB. People get really hung up on first round draft picks and the expectations that come along with that. It means nothing. There's a LONG list of first round quarterbacks who washed out of the league. 

I don't care about his personality or any of that nonsense. He's not good. I understand he's played under rough circumstances, but he doesn't pass the eye test. I caught large segments of games in 18' and one thing stood out when Rosen was in there; even when he made the proper read, which he does pretty well, he didn't have the zip on his passes to get the ball to the receiver on time. Many of these throws occurred when he had a clean pocket and a solid platform to throw from. He also doesn't have a great feel for pressure and where it's coming from. Guys like Brees and Brady don't have great arms(still better than Rosen's), but they're ELITE at sidestepping pressure and creating platforms/throwing lanes.

Baker's not that good.(IMO) Darnold's not that good(IMO.) Rosen is not good at all.(IMO) Jackson is good, but I'm not sure how long it'll last. Allen is really the wildcard here. If he's able to elevate his game, the class looks quite a bit better. If not, this could very well be a historically bad QB class.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

How he even sees his WR's blows me away with his height and lack of mobility.  I'm not comparing him to Rosen.  Just pointing out an immobile QB can still thrive in the right system.  I highly doubt Rosen succeeds in this league as a starter, but I wouldn't give up on him at this point.

Brees has ELITE pocket presence, which allows him to sidestep pressure and create throwing lanes. That's how he's been able to do what he does with his physical limitations.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Brees.  That man has a pocket sense that is amazing.  He's like the Rocky Horror Picture Show for a pass rush - it's just a jump to the left and a step to the right, a little duck, and the pass rushers slide off him like he's teflon coated.

Chimed in before reading all the responses. Appears my entire post has already been covered.

• Like (+1) 1

Rosens biggest issue in the NFL thus far in his career has nothing to do with arm strength or lack of mobility. If you watch the kid it looks like the game is moving too fast for him. He’s been late on a lot of throws, and seems to be missing easy reads. He also developed a hitch in his delivery that I didn’t notice in college. 

All this surprises me because Rosen has been a QB prodigy his entire life. I would have thought he’d be more advanced with regards to the mental part of the game coming into the league. That said he got drafted into a terrible situation with a bad OL and bad offensive coaching which certainly didn’t help. 

Overrated, overhyped, arrogant, entitled, too cool, too full of himself and too much a douchebag to be a leader of men. That and he lacks arm strength and pocket awareness. I predict he is out of the league within 3 years. I never could understand all the hype. I live in Oregon and follow PAC 12 football. He was not a winner in college.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Historically bad QB class seems really premature to me - I wouldn’t write off Baker or Darnold yet and Allen and Jackson are already playoff QBs... 

There is certainly an amount of projection involved, but two seasons in is not too early to start thinking about the possibility. Outside of Jackson, the other 4 QB's have some serious question marks. Based on recent history, we generally have a decent idea as to who these are by now. Time will tell. As far as Darnold and Mayfield go, they COULD turn into franchise guys, but I don't personally see it.

Allen is the guy I view as being the least "settled."Definitely improved a great deal in year 2. Still has a LONG ways to go, but he's got the highest ceiling. Doesn't mean he'll get there, but he's got a better shot than the other two IMO.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So Fitzpatrick as a rookie or 2nd year QB would have been dazed, confused, and pulverized on the Dolphins.

The fact that Allen managed to bring excitement, first downs, and sometimes completed passes to the Bills with Robert Foster, Pillsbury, and no O-line is the reason I bellied up for my serving of Crow Pot Pie on the Other Josh.

Fitzpatrick has been kicked to the curb by 7 different NFL teams, has a “noodle arm” (remember how everyone said he can’t make those long passes) and was placed in a “bad situation”, yet he made the most of it and became a team leader on a depressed Dolphins team. My point is: it’s not a valid excuse to say Rosen was put in a bad situation on a poor team. Fitz was put in that same situation as a “trash heap” QB and so was Allen. Some people just make the most of their opportunities and become leaders. Others don’t. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I hate this excuse (“he was on a bad team...”). As I recall, Josh Allen played with Robert Foster as his #1 WR and Pillsbury Benjamin and a patchwork Oline his rookie season. And “two terrible organizations with no chance for a young QB” yet Fitzpatrick (age 30+ ) was able to garner wins, TD’s and players’ respect? Maybe y’all need to re-think the skill set of the poor, young QB before criticizing the team he is playing for. 

The Cardinals gave up something like 15 sacks in under 2.5 seconds. There was no worse offensive line. Throw in the fact that David Johnson basically forgot how to run and the WRs were hurt, and it ends up being one of the worst teams I've ever seen. They were the only thing keeping me optimistic about the Bills. 

5 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

Obviously I'm not paid to evaluate talent, but I really really thought Mallet would be a big success in the NFL, luckily that's not my job.

Of course. So did I. Ryan Mallet had an arm that was at least as strong as Josh Allen's. At least. I saw him make seemingly impossible throws in college.

He was said to have had multiple, serious problems and the NFL scouts and GMs knew. The kid had top 5 talent and lasted until round 3 as I recall. Belichick soon tired of his act and dumped him.

Anyway, there was no comparison between Rosen and Ryan in terms of talent. Mallet could have thrown Rosen's body for a 40 yard square out. Personalities? Mallet was said to have drug problems. Rosen is a pampered, whining little rich punk. It's fun to see him fail.

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think Rosen could have been great 10 years ago. The NFL has moved away from statue QBs. If you aren't at least somewhat athletic you aren't going to survive. Rosen's style will make him a career bridge starter at best.

I think it works really well even with a QB that isn't as mobile as some of the new guys. Rivers, Brady, Manning were not mobile. Rosen is more athletic than 2 of those 3. All 3 of those guys could be successful today.

The difference is you have to be fast seeing the field with great accuracy or you're doomed.

Is Rosen that person? I don't think so. A real competitor never lets you know he is, it's a fire inside. Brady never said "I was picked in the 6th so you're all going to burn" and Rivers drafted 4th didn't say he hated the Giants.

A real competitor is more fire than burst. People who burst are weak, this is a league for beasts, not sissies. Rosen is a sissy

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree with you that Rosen will never be like Brees but people forget Brees was benched for a 40+ year old Flutie in SD. Brees made his way up the ladder through out working everyone, Rosen does not seem to have that characteristic.