PPP Etiquette on Sensitive Personal Topics

GG

Generally speaking I think people should be able to keep their anonymity.  

Voluntary disclosure of one's own name is obviously up to the poster but even in cases where a poster discloses tidbits about themself, other posters should not assume that frees them up to disclose more.  For example, I think most of you know I have a talking hamster named Sammy.  Not many people have one of those so it would probably make me easier to dox.  I'd prefer not to be doxxed.  I shouldn't have used Sammy's real name, that's on me, but shouldn't be a license to more.

I became aware of the JB thing late in the process....I was clueless and found out via PM.....I'll admit I had a bad read on that situation and appreciated finding out because the context helped me understand some weird interactions and to steer clear.  There was another poster that I was PMed about before that and it was a complete shock. Again I steered clear and although I still find that one perplexing, it is none of my business really.

PPP is here to argue about ideas, however outrageous or disputed.  Dig into the ideas all you want but not the people that hold them.  Same goes for all the boards.  Some people on OTW think aliens exist.  They shouldn't be identified either.

WRT public information, my take is that calling someone out on an open board is still pretty uncool.  If you see someone interacting in a way that might get them harmed or make them look foolish, PM that person.  Just because you know something doesn't mean it has to be broadcast.  The only exception I'd give is if you found out someone actually works for an organization that is paying them to spread ideas.  The board should probably know that, if it is factual, but even then a name would be pointless.

Respect other people even if you don't respect their ideas.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

As far as doxing goes, if it were up to me we'd have a zero tolerance policy.

Anonymity is one of the things that makes this board great. We have frank & open discussions about controversial topics, and anonymity allows everyone to freely state their true and honest opinions without fear.

In today's world that can be dangerous. Even posting honest, legitimate points of discussion can be a career ender to people in certain professions if they were to come to light. See @jackmurphylive.

WRT criminal background, I don't see any reason why anyone's background makes any difference here.

I don't see how someone's odd proclivities, even if potentially dangerous in the real world, poses a threat by posting on a message board. It's not like this is a spot where a pederast would go to pick up young kids. 

I say let the posts speak for themselves.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Kevbeau said:

It was a simple last post/goodbye idiots buried in one of the PPP threads

Thanks. Found it. I’ve never visited that thread before so I missed it the first time. Wonder what ended it for him?

16 hours ago, Nanker said:

I read recently that GB tried doxxing DR. That deserves equal condemnation. 

An anonymous poster on here posts a thousands of words manifesto on the deep state. I researched what that anonymous person wrote (a simple Google search on one of the "facts" contained within manifesto) and found it was verbatim with a public anonymous Twitter account. Condemn that all you want Nanker. 

Edited by Gary Busey

That's not the insane part. The insane part is that it was clearly my page -- yet you presented it like you were Columbo breaking a case wide open. :lol: And you got every bit of it wrong. Every bit. 

All it took was thirty seconds of basic logic (or reading) to figure it out, but that was too much thinking for you. 

So you biffed it. 

Per usual. 

12 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I became aware of the JB thing late in the process....I was clueless and found out via PM.....I'll admit I had a bad read on that situation and appreciated finding out because the context helped me understand some weird interactions and to steer clear.  There was another poster that I was PMed about before that and it was a complete shock. Again I steered clear and although I still find that one perplexing, it is none of my business really.

For those who were not clueless about it, it's unsettling that some of the posters who joked around with him about sexual innuendos are some of the same posters who go out of their way to call people pedophile enablers and call them complicit in sex crimes just because they don't buy into a massive, yet to be proven, and undefined conspiracy.

Everyone is responsible for their own posts, so if they share too much, it's on them.

That said, I think doxing a poster on this site should get you banned permanently. It tells me you're too stupid to appreciate the anonymous nature of this site.

If you're so insecure about an anonymous poster on an obscure political message board tied to a consistently bad football team (recent years notwithingstanding), and you need to out them, you should stop for just a second, give it an extra thought, and then go eff yourself.

On the other hand, it's been a while since someone from this board offed themselves,  so we have that going for us.

Which is nice.

(NOTE: Tom has left the board in the past. I suspect he'll be back. If not, my hope is he as least remembers to wear the t-shirt.)

• Like (+1) 4

17 hours ago, GG said:

For starters, this is the link to the board's ToS (a few more carriage returns wouldn't hurt).

I also do not want to dictate policy on a forum that I do not control.  At the end of the day, we are at Scott's mercy and discretion.  For that, we should be grateful for opening up this sandbox and letting it be more open to exchanges, no matter how rancid they may turn.

Predictably, as some topics have gotten more heated, we need to address the elephant in the room of what should be done when posters are discovered to have a criminal past.   As is the case with any community, this site is populated by many folks who have been convicted of something - all the way from speeding tickets to the ultimate sin (and many things in between).

The question we face is how to handle this properly, just like any functioning community would.   

I am against openly doxing individuals on a forum that allows anonymity, especially when the offense is not public.  I would also engage the poster privately first, if someone made me aware of allegations (such as a certain FB incident a few years back)  

But if the crime had been committed and is in the public records, then people are free to apply their standards of airing the news.    I think if the crime is serious and would affect the discourse, then I believe it should be disclosed to the community.

Appreciate all opinions. 

Well put sir.

As I have often stated previously, I try and stay out of the back and forth that many here seem to relish.

Everyone, even those I disagree with, deserve their privacy and we should strongly condemn any poster who abuses that.

Also: to Nanker.........I am stealing your "open kimono" phrase...........?

• Like (+1) 2

It's amazing what one can find on the internet given a few pieces of information.  Before I started showing up to TBD events I figured out who a number of regular posters were.  Curiosity I guess.  But I never felt the need to share that information with anybody or make threats based on it.

Airing someone's dirty laundry, via posts or PMs, no matter how public the record may be, should be a permaban.  I fail to see how most of the things we've referenced in this thread have any effect on discourse.  You have an ignore list; if you really think that person shouldn't be engaged with you're free to not engage them.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

For those who were not clueless about it, it's unsettling that some of the posters who joked around with him about sexual innuendos are some of the same posters who go out of their way to call people pedophile enablers and call them complicit in sex crimes just because they don't buy into a massive, yet to be proven, and undefined conspiracy.

Which is all 100% separate from doxxing anyone.

My take on JB is that I was clueless so I have no way of knowing if anyone else joking with him might also have been.  I don't recall JB joking about underage stuff but maybe he did.  Once discovered and fully doxxed I would have been personally uncomfortable interacting with him at all and certainly joking about anything sexual, at any age.  I don't recall any jokes from anyone ever on here about underage stuff.

My take on the dismissive nature of some toward how far Epstein's tentacles may have reached is that it seems personal.  A Buffalo Bills message board does little to enable or disable pedophiles in reality but it can inform.  If someone isn't interested then ignore it.  Mocking it is something I find strange but whatever.  Doxxing of either party in an argument like that seems out of bounds to me.  

This is whole place is here for disagreements and sharing of information for concurrence and refutation.  That can all be achieved without making anything personal.

• Like (+1) 4

20 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

An anonymous poster on here posts a thousands of words manifesto on the deep state. I researched what that anonymous person wrote (a simple Google search on one of the "facts" contained within manifesto) and found it was verbatim with a public anonymous Twitter account. Condemn that all you want Nanker. 

20 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

Researching a fact?

Insane, I know. 

Not the research, the threat of dozing. That’s against this site’s TOS and is a ***** thing to do. 

3 hours ago, Nanker said:

Not the research, the threat of dozing. That’s against this site’s TOS and is a ***** thing to do. 

Really? When I want to doze I'm going to doze and there's not a damn thing you or any TOS can do about it. 

• Haha (+1) 1