PPP Etiquette on Sensitive Personal Topics

GG

For starters, this is the link to the board's ToS (a few more carriage returns wouldn't hurt).

I also do not want to dictate policy on a forum that I do not control.  At the end of the day, we are at Scott's mercy and discretion.  For that, we should be grateful for opening up this sandbox and letting it be more open to exchanges, no matter how rancid they may turn.

Predictably, as some topics have gotten more heated, we need to address the elephant in the room of what should be done when posters are discovered to have a criminal past.   As is the case with any community, this site is populated by many folks who have been convicted of something - all the way from speeding tickets to the ultimate sin (and many things in between).

The question we face is how to handle this properly, just like any functioning community would.   

I am against openly doxing individuals on a forum that allows anonymity, especially when the offense is not public.  I would also engage the poster privately first, if someone made me aware of allegations (such as a certain FB incident a few years back)  

But if the crime had been committed and is in the public records, then people are free to apply their standards of airing the news.    I think if the crime is serious and would affect the discourse, then I believe it should be disclosed to the community.

Appreciate all opinions. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, GG said:

For starters, this is the link to the board's ToS (a few more carriage returns wouldn't hurt).

I also do not want to dictate policy on a forum that I do not control.  At the end of the day, we are at Scott's mercy and discretion.  For that, we should be grateful for opening up this sandbox and letting it be more open to exchanges, no matter how rancid they may turn.

Predictably, as some topics have gotten more heated, we need to address the elephant in the room of what should be done when posters are discovered to have a criminal past.   As is the case with any community, this site is populated by many folks who have been convicted of something - all the way from speeding tickets to the ultimate sin (and many things in between).

The question we face is how to handle this properly, just like any functioning community would.   

I am against openly doxing individuals on a forum that allows anonymity, especially when the offense is not public.  I would also engage the poster privately first, if someone made me aware of allegations (such as a certain FB incident a few years back)  

But if the crime had been committed and is in the public records, then people are free to apply their standards of airing the news.    I think if the crime is serious and would affect the discourse, then I believe it should be disclosed to the community.

Appreciate all opinions. 

Was there a specific thing I missed? I'm not a big fan of doxxing either. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Was there a specific thing I missed? I'm not a big fan of doxxing either. 

A former frequent poster has a public record on a topic that's frequently discussed here.

I must confess: I once beat a nun to death, just to watch her die. I'm not sure if the orphan I used to beat her to death lived.

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I'm innocent I tells ya!!  Innocent!! 

Sure, of that thing. What about the other thing, you know, the one with the stuff?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I'm innocent I tells ya!!  Innocent!! 

But seriously I'm not sure what your suggesting here.  That we censor those convicted of certain crimes?  

Totally against censorship.

I guess the question is - How or should information be shared about serious offenses that are in the public domain?

I didn’t know about JB till recently. Seems some railed in righteous indignation that he wasn’t tarred and feathered, so they went about doing that themselves. 
I will say that I was outraged that EII doxxed Chef Jim. That was a slimeball thing to do Eric. 
I read recently that GB tried doxxing DR. That deserves equal condemnation. 

It’s one thing if a poster goes Open Komono on their own. Stojan did that from the getgo. 

Blersch did as much recently, but now he may be taillights. 

But the self-righteous schoolmarms who come here like their a proctor for a high school PSAT exam could eat a bowl of ***** once in awhile to freshen their breath. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Nanker said:

I didn’t know about JB till recently. Seems some railed in righteous indignation that he wasn’t tarred and feathered, so they went about doing that themselves. 
I will say that I was outraged that EII doxxed Chef Jim. That was a slimeball thing to do Eric. 

It’s one thing if a poster goes Open Komono on their own. Stojan did that from the getgo. 

But the self-righteous schoolmarms who come here like their a proctor for a high school PSAT exam could eat a bowl of ***** once in awhile to freshen their breath. 

DC is gone?

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

He had a good-bye. Maybe he’s just fed-up with the amenities in the dungeon and will be posting elsewhere on TBD? ?‍♀️

I missed it.

I also missed the JB drama.

17 minutes ago, GG said:

Totally against censorship.

I guess the question is - How or should information be shared about serious offenses that are in the public domain?

I say no.  One of the good things as well as curses is the anonymity of the internet. 

15 minutes ago, Nanker said:

How did EII dox me?  I vaguely remember it. 

3 minutes ago, Kevbeau said:

It was a simple last post/goodbye idiots buried in one of the PPP threads

Really??  Tragic.  But this place is an addiction.  He'll be back.  I did one of those So Long and Thanks for all the Fish things a number of years ago.  I came back. 

4 minutes ago, Nanker said:

I remember you were quite upset. He found your CV or your CFO info online and posted your name Jim. “It wasn’t hard,” he admitted.

A turdball thing to do IMHO. 

Again I have just a vague recollection.  But if EII was able to find it it must be very simple to find.  Well if you know my real name and the firm I work for sure you can find out a lot about me professionally.  And I must warn you.  It's all quite boring. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GG said:

Appreciate all opinions. 

Well said. I agree completely.

That said, I apparently miss a lot of crap that happens here. I saw Tom's "goodbye" post, but have no idea what inspired him to leave. I hope he comes back - despite his cantankerous, know-it-all nature, he adds a lot to the board. I'm completely in the dark with regard to anyone being doxxed, but that crap absolutely should not be allowed under any circumstances. It's probably also a good idea for folks to bear in mind that maintaining anonymity also means that you may not know anything about who is reading your posts, so a little thoughtful discretion could go a long way.

If someone among us, present or future, has indeed committed a serious crime that could affect the discourse here, then yes - let's share it with the folks.

2 hours ago, Nanker said:

Maybe. It’s uncertain at this point. I hope not. Maybe it’s a sabbatical. 

It happens. I was around here for the first year or so, then bailed. It took around twelve years for me to even start lurking again.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, GG said:

Appreciate all opinions. 

To me, aside from what they post and the impressions I get, everyone here is their screen name and their avatar. I’d prefer to know nothing personal about someone if they’re not offering it.

I think that regulars around here expose themselves to be what/who they are just by virtue of what they say and how they say it.  I honestly don’t think that knowing something specific about a poster is going to change that.  Or put in a different way, I could say something real pithy with spinach stuck to my teeth.  You’re only going to see the spinach and not hear what I have to say. Having anonymity allows the message to be heard without the visual to muck it up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1