For those that question what Andre Roberts has brought to the Bills.

MAJBobby

Like many have said, I did not have any issues with Roberts as the primary returner. He was a reliable professional back there, who made smart decisions with the ball -- and we always had complete confidence that he was not going to turn the ball over. I know he rarely had any big returns -- but some of that could be attributed to lackluster blocking. I remember a 2-3 game stretch in the middle of the season where it seemed like every kick was called back due to a penalty. I think that as the overall roster talent continues to improve (and become more consistent/stable), the Special Teams units we see on the field will also improve -- maybe back to the days when Bobby April was here and had say-so on the talent that was brought in.

While I do not have issue with the roster spot that Roberts occupies being strictly for returns (with an occasional appearance as a WR5 thrown in), the real issue is the presence of McKenzie/Foster/Roberts all active each week and filling in the WR3/4/5 spots. Adding Duke (who was only occasionally active) to that mix, I think what we come away with is that the McKenzie/Foster/Roberts/Foster foursome needs to be upgraded with 2-3 of those players replaced via the draft and/or free agency.

Just now, ScotSHO said:

I think the problem is he takes one of 6 WR spots.  Delete one of the TE/FB spots and carry 7 WRs and nobody would complain about Roberts.

How often are 6 WRs on the field.

The Problem is very other WR outside of Beasley and Brown are NOT NFL WRs.  So of course the ONE guy that gets signed to NOT be a WR, gets thrown into that mix.

IF Andre Roberts is lining up at WR you have one of three problems

1.  You are injury Riddled 

2.  All your other WRs do not belong on the Roster

3.  You are resting starters.

I think it is easy to find out why Roberts took snaps at WR

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

I think the problem is he takes one of 6 WR spots.  Delete one of the TE/FB spots and carry 7 WRs and nobody would complain about Roberts.

The Patriots have 6 WRS on their roster.  The 6th WR is Matthew Slater whos last catch on offense was in 2011.  i bet most teams have this special teams guy on their roster.