For those that question what Andre Roberts has brought to the Bills.

MAJBobby

1 minute ago, Jobot said:

I think so?

I think it means that we had a very high average return yardage number, and that number looks even better when you look at the first diagram.  That diagram says that Roberts was really smart about identifying returnable kicks, and maximizing them when he decided to return them.

• Like (+1) 1

All 3 phases need to perform at a high level.  He does his part on Special Teams.  

It would be nice if he could be a part of the passing game but that's not necessary to be a contributor to W's.

I mean how many balls has Matthew Slater caught from Tom Brady in his career?

11 minutes ago, Capco said:

All 3 phases need to perform at a high level.  He does his part on Special Teams.  

It would be nice if he could be a part of the passing game but that's not necessary to be a contributor to W's.

I mean how many balls has Matthew Slater caught from Tom Brady in his career?

Or Steve Tasker from Jim Kelly, for that matter.

Edited by chongli

For those who were wondering, the Bills had the 9th best average offensive starting position in the league.

Here is the data in case you're curious. 

image.thumb.png.5f4f2f402714537300b261b9c8e7a11c.png

Whether that warrants holding a roster spot for someone like Roberts, that'll be up for debate. But i do appreciate how he was dependable not to turn the ball over.

Edited by brianthomas
  • Like (+1) 3

soooo the Bills averaged about 3 yards more than the 25 yard line (what a touchback gives you) on kickoff returns (so the 28 yard line)

With 1 return all year going into the opponent's territory

so I don’t really think Roberts is someone this team  really needs and we can fill the roster else where with someone else 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsMafi$ said:

soooo the Bills averaged about 3 yards more than the 25 yard line (what a touchback gives you) on kickoff returns (so the 28 yard line)

so I don’t really think Roberts is someone this team  really needs and we can fill the roster else where with someone else 

I feel like people like you are missing out on the most important thing he does. He always catches the damn ball. How many times in the past have we had people drop the ball on returns, especially Punts? Yet with Roberts I'm always calm cause I have zero doubt he will catch it. To top it off he has a solid avg. Why make a hole we do not need?

• Like (+1) 23
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

It's not just about yards though.  Kickoffs can help shift momentum, even if it's just a return from the end zone to the 28 yard line.  Never underestimate what a little juice can do for athletes.  

The great thing about this is it proves everybody right. The people arguing Roberts is good and the people arguing that using a roster spot on a pure kick/punt returner is a waste can both use this as justification.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

It looks like Denver's KO return man was the top returner.  He was very discerning about when to return (about 27% of returnable kicks), and when he did, he average almost 5 yards past the 25.

19 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

I think it means that we had a very high average return yardage number, and that number looks even better when you look at the first diagram.  That diagram says that Roberts was really smart about identifying returnable kicks, and maximizing them when he decided to return them.

Let’s not forget the importance of the sure hands , KC vs Texans is a good example what can happen 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BringBackFlutie said:

Didn't we lose a few games in 2018, based on ST ball security, alone?

I can’t remember right now if it cost us a game , but thank God when he’s back there we basically don’t have to hold our breath 

• Like (+1) 3