Cover 1 WR Bryan Edwards 'most underrated receiver in the nation'

Reed83HOF

1 minute ago, ctk232 said:

Went down a film rabbit hole primarily with his games against Georgia, Bama, Florida, and Texas. Granted, I'll always lead with the fact that I'm certainly no scout or expert beyond having played the game and my own investment, but the part I have to agree with Erik about is the cerebral nature of how Edwards approaches the position. 

Noting the skepticism around his physicality at the LOS and blocking ability, I didn't see anything glaring in that film sample to be a huge ding on his draft stock, but certainly has room to grow there. However, the way he plays the WR position from a mental standpoint stands out and could even stand alone as it's own physical trait in the way it translates to his game. He understands coverages better than most college QBs, and applies that to how he runs his routes down to footwork, hand placement, acceleration, and body placement in context to the DB/coverage. Erik does a great commentary on how Edwards finds the DB blindspots and holes in bracketed coverage - including against top SEC teams. Match that with his ability to recognize blitzes and positions himself for quick throw contingencies, which is something we sorely needed this year with Allen. To comment briefly on his actual physicality, he high points with the best of them as far as I can tell, and with a rather inaccurate QB. Great hands compensates for his lesser separation at times, but knows how to work the DB in coverage to create indirect separation with eye/body movement, hand placement/push offs, and the way he disguises his routes.

All that to say, I would love to see him in the 3/4 rounds, but honestly wouldn't hate a late round 2nd on him depending on how the first goes. It's a deep WR draft with some great names, plenty above him still, so can't see why he wouldn't be worth a 3rd or 4th. I don't expect him to become the next OBJ, JJSS, or the like - but his understanding of the position could impact this offense greatly, and certainly give Allen that extra help.

Interesting take, thanks for the info.

Sounds like he could be a good fit with Daboll's complex system of Option Routes and WRs needing to be able to read the D and make the decision at the line.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Is he over 6 feet tall?

A number of sources list him as 6'3"  NFL Draft Scout is typically conservative, and projects him to be a fraction shorter at 6' 2.6"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Went down a film rabbit hole primarily with his games against Georgia, Bama, Florida, and Texas. Granted, I'll always lead with the fact that I'm certainly no scout or expert beyond having played the game and my own investment, but the part I have to agree with Erik about is the cerebral nature of how Edwards approaches the position. 

Noting the skepticism around his physicality at the LOS and blocking ability, I didn't see anything glaring in that film sample to be a huge ding on his draft stock, but certainly has room to grow there. However, the way he plays the WR position from a mental standpoint stands out and could even stand alone as it's own physical trait in the way it translates to his game. He understands coverages better than most college QBs, and applies that to how he runs his routes down to footwork, hand placement, acceleration, and body placement in context to the DB/coverage. Erik does a great commentary on how Edwards finds the DB blindspots and holes in bracketed coverage - including against top SEC teams. Match that with his ability to recognize blitzes and positions himself for quick throw contingencies, which is something we sorely needed this year with Allen. To comment briefly on his actual physicality, he high points with the best of them as far as I can tell, and with a rather inaccurate QB. Great hands compensates for his lesser separation at times, but knows how to work the DB in coverage to create indirect separation with eye/body movement, hand placement/push offs, and the way he disguises his routes.

All that to say, I would love to see him in the 3/4 rounds, but honestly wouldn't hate a late round 2nd on him depending on how the first goes. It's a deep WR draft with some great names, plenty above him still, so can't see why he wouldn't be worth a 3rd or 4th. I don't expect him to become the next OBJ, JJSS, or the like - but his understanding of the position could impact this offense greatly, and certainly give Allen that extra help.

Yeah this is where I'm at.  I was actually looking at him the other day.  He's a super-sleeper and might end up being the best WR in the entire class.  If he falls out of Round 1 go get him - even if you've taken a WR already in Round 1.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My personal favorite is s n a t c h as in "***** victory from the jaws of defeat"

On this side topic:

What the heck is being filtered when someone types Patriots? 

Edit: and why didn't it filter that time?... what the heck? I'm always seeing people whose post includes "Pats*" and never understanding... 

4 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I would love to see:

AJ Green 2yrs $11M per

Rnd 1: Laviska Shenault

Rnd 4: Bryan Edwards 

You then have a WR room with:

Green

Brown

Beasley

Shenault

Edwards

+ McKenzie, Foster, Williams, & Roberts fighting for 2? Spots 

That's a lot of investment.. Not a problem, necessarily, but I would assume 2 top end investments (top 4 pick/FA), not 3. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Education requested please.

How does South Carolina compare in terms of quality of competition to the Big Dawg college programs?

What concerns me is that 3 years ago we traded up in the 2nd round to draft a guy who set receiving records playing for East Carolina.  NCAA Division I football all-time single season leader in receptions,  NCAA Division I football all-time career leader in receptions.  Finalist for 2016 Biletnikoff Award, given annually to the nation's best receiver in college football.  That sounded pretty good at the time, but what played out was that the guy could play relative to his opposition, and when faced with the DBs who had been playing at top college programs and were now in the pros, he couldn't level up.

I don't follow college football much, so help me understand if South Carolina would carry the same concerns.

For me anyone coming out of the SEC with good size for their position, athleticism, durability, and good production should be taken ahead of almost anyone else from a different conference with similar numbers and attributes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

On this side topic:

Edit: and why didn't it filter that time?... what the heck? I'm always seeing people whose post includes "Pats*" and never understanding... 

That's a lot of investment.. Not a problem, necessarily, but I would assume 2 top end investments (top 4 pick/FA), not 3. 

You’re probably right. I just wanted to make the group into a real strength. But yea, I would assume no Green is the more likely scenario. Draft one guy in rounds 1-2 and another in rounds 4-5 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

On this side topic:

That is the posters manually adding asterisks to the Pats name. It started back during their first cheating scandal, way back when. And folks keep adding *s for each subsequent cheating scandal. So I guess it would be Pats***** by now.

"...Edwards is leaving South Carolina with an array of school accolades, including: most consecutive games with a reception (48), career receptions (234) and career receiving yards (3,054)."

The first thing that comes to mind, though, is "how many of those receptions came in garbage time?"    The Gamecocks were just 4-8 last year and 7-6 the year before.  They typically got beat up like rented mules by the top SEC schools.     

Per Drae Harris with the Draft Network:

Pros: Big play receiver that brings good athleticism to the position. Good size and strength projects him well as an “X” WR. In the run game he is a strong runner after the catch. Has the physicality to be a good stalk blocker in the run game. In the passing game he is good. Shows strong hands to pluck the ball out of the air. Excels in the short to intermediate area and shows good ability in contested catch situations. He shows some long speed but lacks some separation quickness at the top of the route. Will be a problem for defenders in the red zone due to his physicality and ability in contested catch situations. Also projects with good upside as a returner and core special teamer as well. 

Cons: Not a lot of elusiveness in the open field. Doesn’t show a lot of separation quickness against man coverage. Not a great route runner and needs to learn to set up defenders against off man coverage. If he doesn't win with strength against press he may struggle Due to his hips and lack of elite short area agility. Needs to become very consistent at catching the ball away from his frame at ALL times, due to his lack of separation against man. These will become PBUs in the NFL. 

(these are similar elusiveness/straight line cons to DK Metcalf as I recall...)

Edited by thunderingsquid

Dude is a stud.... him and Pittman should be targets pick 50-75 range.

These dudes ain’t lasting til round 4. These are your big, strong, possession type guys the can run after catch. Great hands and are proven over 4 years. They are seniors.

Theyll be at the Senior Bowl. I’m looking forward to seeing Aiyuk, Pittman, Edwards, Van Jefferson, and Mims.... 

Last year I was at the Senior practices and it was obvious Deebo Samuels and Terry McClaurin were legit!  Went rounds 2 & 3, you may see 3-4 of those mentioned above gone before round 4.

Edited by CEN-CAL17
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

On this side topic:

You forgot the word *****

Oops friggin or f-ing that usually precedes that team's name

6 hours ago, BringBackFlutie said:

In the first three tables of that article, I saw a lot of drops.  I'm terrified of more drops.

Reminds me a little of someone we’ve traded to the Raiders 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

For me anyone coming out of the SEC with good size for their position, athleticism, durability, and good production should be taken ahead of almost anyone else from a different conference with similar numbers and attributes. 

I generally agree, but if there’s a guy in the big 10 that dominated against Ohio State and the rest of the conference I’m keen. As long as they perform in big matchups there’s no reason to devalue them.