Cover 1 WR Bryan Edwards 'most underrated receiver in the nation'

Reed83HOF

South Carolina wide receiver Bryan Edwards is quite possibly the quietest, yet most productive, prospect you will come across in the 2020 NFL Draft. Edwards is leaving South Carolina with an array of school accolades, including: most consecutive games with a reception (48), career receptions (234) and career receiving yards (3,054). He also sits third in career touchdowns with 22, which is only one behind Sidney Rice and Alshon Jeffery. His 48 games with at least one reception means he caught a pass in every single game he played in at South Carolina! Believe it or not, Edwards ranks third in SEC history with 234 career receptions and fourth in the league all-time with 3,045 yards.

“He never liked drawing any attention to himself, but his athleticism in itself drew attention to him,” Jordan stated. “He has a big frame and can go up and get the ball. He attacks the ball at the highest point.” 

“I’ve really been proud of Bryan the way he’s poured himself into the young receivers,” Bentley said. “I really think that’s something he’s really learned to do — to really give back to them, because he knows we’re only going to be as good as the rest of the guys, too. I think he’s doing whatever he can do help them along the way, as well.”

That is the type of DNA the Bills love.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Education requested please.

How does South Carolina compare in terms of quality of competition to the Big Dawg college programs?

What concerns me is that 3 years ago we traded up in the 2nd round to draft a guy who set receiving records playing for East Carolina.  NCAA Division I football all-time single season leader in receptions,  NCAA Division I football all-time career leader in receptions.  Finalist for 2016 Biletnikoff Award, given annually to the nation's best receiver in college football.  That sounded pretty good at the time, but what played out was that the guy could play relative to his opposition, and when faced with the DBs who had been playing at top college programs and were now in the pros, he couldn't level up.

I don't follow college football much, so help me understand if South Carolina would carry the same concerns.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How does South Carolina compare in terms of quality of competition to the Big Dawg college programs?

What concerns me is that 3 years ago we traded up in the 2nd round to draft a guy who set receiving records playing for East Carolina.  NCAA Division I football all-time single season leader in receptions,  NCAA Division I football all-time career leader in receptions.  Finalist for 2016 Biletnikoff Award, given annually to the nation's best receiver in college football.  That sounded pretty good at the time, but what played out was that the guy could play relative to his opposition, and when faced with the DBs who had been playing at top college programs and were now in the pros, he couldn't level up.

I don't follow college football much, so help me understand if South Carolina would carry the same concerns.

Theyre historcially a mid-tier SEC team, which is pretty good in the grand scheme of College Football. Definitely not an East Carolina or Kutztown U. Theyve had some down years recently but still have plenty of talent.

Theyre playing against Georgia, Florida, and to a lesser extent Auburn, Bama, LSU. So competition is good.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 5

Nice breakdown by Turner as usual. Edwards seems to have an advanced understanding of coverages and how to beat them. Turner makes a GREAT point about footwork and how Edwards uses similar footwork on different routes. The better pro DBs key on this and receivers who can offer up the same looks on different routes have an advantage. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

SEC. A lot of matchups against Georgia, Florida, etc. You’re going to want to watch this years tape as last season the opposing team often put their best corner on Deebo Samuel if they could. I believe Edwards was injured for the second half of this season though. Played pretty well against the Gators before that. The game ***** don’t exactly have great QB play (streaky), so keep that in mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, MikeSpeed said:

Being from SC I've seen a lot of him. I take him in a heartbeat. Maybe not round 1. He was their entire offense this year.

Day 2 guy according to Eric.

I haven't made it this far in looking at WRs yet; just want to get the board checking him out

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Theyre playing against Georgia, Florida, and to a lesser extent Auburn, Bama, LSU. So competition is good.

Went down a film rabbit hole primarily with his games against Georgia, Bama, Florida, and Texas. Granted, I'll always lead with the fact that I'm certainly no scout or expert beyond having played the game and my own investment, but the part I have to agree with Erik about is the cerebral nature of how Edwards approaches the position. 

Noting the skepticism around his physicality at the LOS and blocking ability, I didn't see anything glaring in that film sample to be a huge ding on his draft stock, but certainly has room to grow there. However, the way he plays the WR position from a mental standpoint stands out and could even stand alone as it's own physical trait in the way it translates to his game. He understands coverages better than most college QBs, and applies that to how he runs his routes down to footwork, hand placement, acceleration, and body placement in context to the DB/coverage. Erik does a great commentary on how Edwards finds the DB blindspots and holes in bracketed coverage - including against top SEC teams. Match that with his ability to recognize blitzes and positions himself for quick throw contingencies, which is something we sorely needed this year with Allen. To comment briefly on his actual physicality, he high points with the best of them as far as I can tell, and with a rather inaccurate QB. Great hands compensates for his lesser separation at times, but knows how to work the DB in coverage to create indirect separation with eye/body movement, hand placement/push offs, and the way he disguises his routes.

All that to say, I would love to see him in the 3/4 rounds, but honestly wouldn't hate a late round 2nd on him depending on how the first goes. It's a deep WR draft with some great names, plenty above him still, so can't see why he wouldn't be worth a 3rd or 4th. I don't expect him to become the next OBJ, JJSS, or the like - but his understanding of the position could impact this offense greatly, and certainly give Allen that extra help.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4