Way Too Early 1st Mock Draft

H2o

Well, we are just entering the end of the year college bowl season for the Seniors headed into the draft. The combine is around the corner, as are pro days. There will be some who rise and fall for various reasons as always. As of right now, prior to any of the above, this is how I could see things shaking out. 

1. Cincinnati BengalsJoe Burrow / QB / LSU - Not even the Bengals organization could mess this one up. There will not even be the thought of entertaining a trade, unless Miami wants to give them all three first round picks and then they will still probably say no. Burrow put up the greatest passing season in college football I have ever seen and against the best competition in the land game in and game out. He goes through progressions, looks off defenders, knows how to slide/move in the pocket, can run when he has to, is accurate on the run, and is the most accurate deep ball passer I have seen in a LONG, LONG time. 

2. Washington Redskins - Chase Young / DE / Ohio St. - This opportunity is already conjuring memories of a young Julius Peppers for Ron Rivera. The Redskins will have the card turned in before the Commissioner even announces the pick of Joe Burrow by the Bengals.  

3. ***TRADE*** - Los Angeles Chargers - Tua Tagovailoa / QB / Alabama - Rivers is done in Chargers land. They won't sign Brady. They have a stout defense and faced a lot of injuries this past season. Here the move is motivated by the fact they have to jump Miami to get Tua. They may not be this close to the top of the draft next year so Anthony Lynn gets the guy he believes will lead his team back to the playoffs not only this year, but in many seasons to come. In return the Lions get picks #6 and #37 from LAC. 

4. New York Giants - Jerry Jeudy / WR / Alabama - The Giants are a mess, but they will do what they can to surround Daniel Jones with play makers. You could make a case for just about any position here @ #4, but I go with a WR. 

5. Miami Dolphins - Andrew Thomas / OT / Georgia - The Chargers swooped in and took Tua and Flores is not going to reach for a guy he doesn't want. They also hired Gailey to run the offense and I believe that is a good sign that Fitzmagic will be back next year as well. Flores starts rebuilding that OL here. 

6. Detroit Lions - Derrick Brown / DT / Auburn - The Lions were actually looking ok before Stafford went down with his back injury. Brown is the best interior DL prospect in this draft and reminds me of Chris Jones for the Chiefs. He will be a disruptive force in the middle of that defense for Detroit. 

7. Carolina Panthers - Isaiah Simmons / LB / Clemson - We will now see Carolina going into full rebuild mode. Cam will not be back next year, Kuechley just retired, new coach, new system, likely no Olsen, and they will basically start from scratch. Simmons is a rangy, extremely athletic LB who plays with solid discipline and always seems to be around the ball. He'll have some large shoes to fill in Carolina. 

8. Arizona Cardinals - Jeff Okudah / CB / Ohio St. - The Cardinals need help all over the OL and likely would have taken Thomas here had not the Chargers threw a wrinkle into the situation. With him off of the board they can't pass up on the most talented CB in the draft. He is another in the long list of top tier CB's to come from THE Ohio St. University. 

9. Jacksonville Jaguars - Mekhi Becton / OT / Louisville - Dougie is in the midst of his 9th life as a head coach and this is the move he makes. He gets a guy to play RT in hopes of riding Fournette to a revival in Jax. They also give Foles another chance to try and stay upright while redeeming himself after that massive cojntract they doled out to him.

10. Cleveland Browns - Austin Jackson / OT / USC - Jackson is one of the top tier OT prospects and Cleveland needs to fix the OL. Baker was running for his life a lot this past season with Greg Robinson manning the LT spot. This will also help the running game that Stefanski is going to install for Chubb and Hunt. 

11. New York Jets - CeeDee Lamb / WR / Oklahoma - Darnold doesn't really have a true #1 WR and they hope Lamb can fill that position. Gase should probably go OL here, but he's arrogant and gets them to go for the shiny new toy instead.

12. Las Vegas Raiders - Laviska Shenault / WR / Colorado - Last year the Raiders went heavy on defense in the draft. This year Gruden/Mayock will go on the offensive side of the ball with their first pick. Outside of Tyrell Williams, Waller, and Moreau the Raiders didn't have many options in the passing game. Gruden gets a guy he hopes adds some juice to that receiving corps. 

13. Indianapolis Colts - AJ Epenesa / DE / Iowa - This one was a coin flip between YGM and AJE. The coin landed on tails. I think both of them will be quality DE's in the NFL and either would fit in with that Indy defense headed up by Darius Leonard. 

14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Justin Herbert / QB / Oregon - Jameis or no Jameis, if Herbert falls here then Arians takes him. You can't blame Tampa and you hope it makes Winston play smarter,  but is he really capable of that with what we have seen from him over the last 4 seasons?

15. Denver Broncos - Henry Ruggs III / WR / Alabama - The guy is going to be blazing fast at the combine with something probably in the low 4.3's. The Broncos feel like they have found their QB of the future in Drew Lock and now Elway will work to add the pieces around him. Courtland Sutton has turned out to be a fantastic selection. Having a guy who can take the top off of the defense will only open things up even more for Sutton and Fant. 

16. Atlanta Falcons - Yetur Gross-Matos / DE / Penn St. - The Falcons pass rush has been pretty sad since being up 28-3 against the Pats. YGM will be brought on in hopes of remedying that issue. He's a day 1 starter on that defense without question. 

17. Dallas Cowboys - Grant Delpit / S / LSU - This couldn't have worked out any better for a Dallas team that needed help at the S position. They get the best one in the draft @ #17 which just happens to be the way it worked out for them. 

18. Miami Dolphins - Kenneth Murray / LB / Oklahoma - Flores got an OT with the pick @ #5, but now he goes after a QB of the defense in Murray. Murray is an athletic, hard hitting LB who stood out when you watched him play. He would get overly aggressive at times and take a bad angle here or there, but he is a top notch prospect and a solid choice @ #18. 

19. Las Vegas Raiders - Kristian Fulton / CB / LSU - Fulton is the 2nd best CB in the draft behind Okudah. Mayock is a former DB himself and will not let Gruden pass up on a guy they think will be able to shadow other teams' #1 WR's here. 

20. Jacksonville Jaguars - Javon Kinlaw / DT / South Carolina - Kinlaw was a beast this year in the middle of that South Carolina defense. You rarely see and OL'man be able to square him up when being blocked. He's also surprisingly quick for a guy his size. This would be a good selection for Jax @ #20. 

21. Philadelphia Eagles - Tee Higgins / WR / Clemson - Mocking a WR to Philly is about as sure a bet as anyone could make. Jeffrey's body is breaking down, Jackson is getting old, Agholor is Stone Hands from Necessary Roughness, it's just all too easy. 

22. Buffalo Bills - Tristan Wirfs / OT / Iowa - A lot of you would be absolutely P****D, but I could see this happening if the board shakes out this way. I don't see Spain getting re-signed. I think either Feliciano or Ford gets moved over to LG with the other manning the RG position. Wirfs will be the RT that we need with flexibility to be put on the left if Dawkins goes down. They keep building the trenches and trying to protect Allen with this pick. 

23. New England Patriots - Jacob Eason / QB / Washington - This is only fitting as his father was drafted by the Patriots and the Patriots will be in need of a QB. I give him the edge over Fromm here from the Pats perspective. Eason gets the last laugh over Fromm in the end, at least today. 

24. New Orleans Saints - Cole Kmet / TE / Notre Dame - What do the Saints need really? There is a hole @ TE and they take a sleeper of a pick here. Kmet can block, has good speed for a TE, runs good routes, and makes pretty much every catch when the ball hits his hands. It's just another weapon for Payton and that offense to use. 

25. Minnesota Vikings - CJ Henderson / CB / Florida - The Vikings CB's aren't that good. Rhodes has been a disappointment and they were constantly getting torched. Henderson is a quality prospect with day 1 starting potential. 

26. Miami Dolphins - D'Andre Swift / RB / Georgia - The Miami Dolphins got basically 0 from their running game this year. It makes what Fitz was able to accomplish all the more impressive imo. Here they get arguably the best RB in the draft with their third 1st Round pick. 

27. Seattle Seahawks - Jedrick Willis / OT / Alabama - Russell Wilson is still running for his life out there on almost every play. At one point they will actually get an OL that can keep him from getting hit 15 times a game. 

28. Baltimore Ravens - Tyler Biadasz / OL / Wisconsin - He played Center, but I believe the Ravens would likely use him at Guard. This team doesn't really need much, but you can never go wrong with continuing to sure up the trenches.

29. Tennessee TitansTrey Adams / OT / Washington - Conklin is likely going to be the guy they can't pay in the offseason. I expect them to use the franchise tag on Henry and look for a replacement RT in the draft. Adams played LT @ Washington, but he will be a RT in Tennessee. 

30. Green Bay Packers - Justin Jefferson / WR / LSU - Outside of Devante Adams, Aaron Rodgers has a terrible WR corps. They will work to address that this year via FA, trades, or the draft. More likely it will be in the draft knowing how the Packers tend to operate. Jefferson is a good get for this offense here. 

31. Kansas City Chiefs - Trevon Diggs / CB / Alabama - The Chiefs secondary is still suspect and needs to be addressed. They will do this in the draft because it is the cheaper option and they can get a guy for 5 years if taken in the 1st Round. Diggs is a converted WR who has played really well when on the field, but suffered through a couple of tough injuries the last two seasons.

32. San Francisco 49ers - Xavier McKinney / CB / Alabama - Sherman isn't getting any younger so they draft a future replacement here who can be groomed behind one of the best. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 2

Good job. 

I have a rule when it comes to the draft: I never, ever get upset at my team for spending premium assets on an offensive or defensive lineman. Football is won and lost in the trenches.

I think Bills fans need to come to terms with the fact that the 1st round pick may be spent on a position other than WR. They MAY, in fact, take a WR at that spot, but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that they wait until the 2nd-4th rounds and take a couple there. The depth at the WR position suggests that this is a possibility. Furthermore, if you look at 1st round receivers vs 2nd-4th round receivers the past few years, there isn't a huge difference in productivity. Furthermore, while everyone with eyes can see that Allen needs more quality pass catchers, it's not as if adding a high quality RT wouldn't also do wonders for the guy. Every stat out there shows that Allen's effectiveness reduces drastically when he's pressured, and that when he has a clean pocket, he plays quite well.

If edge rusher or offensive tackle wind up being the 1st round pick, I won't be upset. Those are both big need positions. If Wirfs falls to 22, it would be really hard not to pick him.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Like this better

Mock.thumb.JPG.d8653bb40b8aad80ef674f23687549f3.JPG

I don't really understand why people do this.

Dude spends a while creating a nicely formatted, logically written mock draft. Instead of commenting on what you do and don't like about it, you just copy and paste your OWN mock draft? What's the point of that? Go create a thread of your own if you want comments on your version.

Just now, Logic said:

I don't really understand why people do this.

Dude spends a while creating a nicely formatted, logically written mock draft. Instead of commenting on what you do and don't like about it, you just copy and paste your OWN mock draft? What's the point of that? Go create a thread of your own if you want comments on your version.

I don't mind the RT at that place, as you see I got one too.  I also think there are players taken too high in this draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

personally have an issue with Tee Higgins,I know he played hurt but just didn't see any passion from him in the Ohio state game or national champion game.. so for the first round I want BPA, second, I'll take Micheal Pittman jr., his dad taught him right, and third round AJ Dillon. Dillon might be a little early but having thunder next ro lighting could really be the way to go. It could work both ways, you play Dillon early to soften up the defense and make them not wanna tackle or you wind them and let Dillon make the 4 min offense work. Either way you can dictate to the defense. And your welcome ro ridicule me ALL you want. They say Singletary can make someone miss in a phonebooth but Dillon is the phonebooth. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Good job. 

I have a rule when it comes to the draft: I never, ever get upset at my team for spending premium assets on an offensive or defensive lineman. Football is won and lost in the trenches.

I think Bills fans need to come to terms with the fact that the 1st round pick may be spent on a position other than WR. They MAY, in fact, take a WR at that spot, but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that they wait until the 2nd-4th rounds and take a couple there. The depth at the WR position suggests that this is a possibility. Furthermore, if you look at 1st round receivers vs 2nd-4th round receivers the past few years, there isn't a huge difference in productivity. Furthermore, while everyone with eyes can see that Allen needs more quality pass catchers, it's not as if adding a high quality RT wouldn't also do wonders for the guy. Every stat out there shows that Allen's effectiveness reduces drastically when he's pressured, and that when he has a clean pocket, he plays quite well.

If edge rusher or offensive tackle wind up being the 1st round pick, I won't be upset. Those are both big need positions. If Wirfs falls to 22, it would be really hard not to pick him.

So when the Bills took Aaron Maybin/Eric Flowers with their 1st Rd pick you were ok with that? 

Edited by the skycap

6 minutes ago, the skycap said:

So when the Bills took Aaron Maybin/Eric Flowers with their 1st Rd pick you were ok with that? 

At the time? Yes.

Because I am not a psychic, I did not know at the exact moment that those players were selected that they would be busts.

In both instances, edge rusher was a need, and the Bills took an edge rusher.

I suppose you have a 100% success rate in knowing who will and won't be a good NFL player the second they're drafted?

2 hours ago, H2o said:

The thing that seems strange to me is there is a "Top WR Prospects" thread on TSW, but my mock draft gets moved to the College Football forum? Seems legit.

It sucks your hard work got buried in a sub-forum, but dont take it too personally. There was a poll about where to keep Mock Drafts for now, and I guess it was decided to move them here since I see a bunch of other Mocks in the College Football forum too.

Maybe now that our season is officially over that will change. Good work, either way. Even though I'm not thrilled with your proposed 1st pick.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Why is this Bills related article in the college football section?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

At the time? Yes.

Because I am not a psychic, I did not know at the exact moment that those players were selected that they would be busts.

In both instances, edge rusher was a need, and the Bills took an edge rusher.

I suppose you have a 100% success rate in knowing who will and won't be a good NFL player the second they're drafted?

I heard it said that the tape don't lie

45 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

My compliments. I must say that this is a well thought, reasonable mock.

The NY City Bill that I once knew would have gone ballistic seeing 6 DBs drafted in the first round on a mock. ?

What I foresee happening is that a number of teams will be attempting to move up to get Tua. I still see him going very high in this draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.