New Aaron Hernandez Documentary on Netflix. Wow . Must watch

JerseyBills

For the people who brought up debated the Nature vs Nurture thing, here's a couple quotes from some experts:  

The point about human development and specifically human brain development is that it occurs mostly under the impact of the environment and mostly after birth.

Now, if you compare us to a horse which can run on the first day of life we see that we are very undeveloped. We can't muster that much neurological coordination, balance, muscle strength, and visual acuity until a year and a half to two years of age.

That's because the brain development in the horse happens in the safety of the womb.  But in the human being, it has to happen after birth and that has to do with simple evolutionary logic.

As the head gets larger, which is what makes us into human beings... the burgeoning of the forebrain is what creates the human species, actually... at the same time, we walk on two legs. So, our pelvis narrows to accommodate that. So now we have a narrower pelvis, a larger head, and...

Bingo! We have to be born prematurely.

And that means the brain development that in other animals occurs in utero, in us, it occurs after birth and much of that under the impact of the environment."

====

So the biology of human beings is very much affected by and programmed by the life experiences beginning in utero. Environment does not begin at birth. Environment begins as soon as you have an environment. As soon as you are a fetus, you are subject to whatever information is coming through mom's circulations.

A great landmark example of this is something called the Dutch Hongerwinter.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_famine_of_1944–45#Legacy

In 1944, the Nazis are occupying Holland. For a bunch of reasons, they decide to take all the food and divert it to Germany; for three months everybody there was starving. Tens of thousands of people starve to death.

What the Dutch Hunger Winter effect is: if you were a second or third trimester fetus during the starvation your body 'learned' something very unique during that time.

As it turns out, second and third trimester is when your body is going about trying to learn about the environment: How menacing of a place is it out there? How plentiful? How much nutrients am I getting by way of mom's circulation?

Be a fetus who was starving during that time and your body programs forever after to be really, really stingy with your sugar and fat and what you do is you store every bit of it.

Be a Dutch Hunger Winter fetus and half a century later everything else being equal you are more likely to have high blood pressure obesity or metabolic syndrome. That is environment coming in a very unexpected place.

====

In a society which is predicated on competition and really, very often, the ruthless exploitation of one human being by another, the profiteering off of other people's problems (and very often the creation of problems for the purpose of profiteering), the ruling ideology will justify that behavior by appeals to some fundamental and unalterable human nature.

So the myth in our society is that people are competitive by nature and that they're individualistic and that they're selfish.

The reality is quite the opposite. We have certain human needs. The only way that you can talk about human nature concretely is by recognizing that there are certain human needs.

We have a human need for companionship and for close contact, to be loved, to be attached to, to be accepted, to be seen, to be received for who we are. If those needs are met, we develop into people who are compassionate and cooperative and who have empathy for other people.

But... the opposite, that we often see in our society, is in fact a distortion of human nature precisely because so few people have their needs met. 

So, yes you can talk about human nature, but only in the sense of basic human needs that are instinctively evoked.  Or rather, certain human needs lead to certain traits if they are met, and a different set of traits if they are denied.

Edited by Capco
  • Like (+1) 1

I admit I learned a few things about Hernandez watching this. Yet the documentary left me with more questions than answers. As I never got an understanding of Hernandez's point of view but maybe that was the point of it all. It was done well but I felt there were parts that could have been done better as I would have liked it had they actually interviewed his brother/mother or fiance to get an idea of Hernandez the man sure the phone call painted a picture but again it wasn't a complete one. They leave it open as to the reason behind why Hernandez killed and perhaps we will never know and the only one who does is Hernandez. Part of me wonders if it was more drug related aka his dealer made him do it but the documentary didn't explore that instead they focused on the his possible closeted homosexuality, lack of love from his parents and the CTE. I'd recommend it but wouldn't call it ground breaking. 

What is it with Hernandez these last couple weeks.  First the Netflix Doc, then the ID two day special on him, there has also been three other recent Television shows about him in recent weeks.

Must be timing all these in conjunction with the NFL Playoffs and SuperBowl.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/21/2020 at 10:50 AM, MAJBobby said:

What is it with Hernandez these last couple weeks.  First the Netflix Doc, then the ID two day special on him, there has also been three other recent Television shows about him in recent weeks.

That and the entertainment industry has finally exhausted every possible angle to examine the OJ saga!

Sadly I do marketing so I know this schtick well:

1. Show someone's story in a sad light, emotional light

2. Show their decision following said fallenness

3. Turn a low-life idiot into a victim

Almost all tragedies run on this path. Most every movie, show, marketing piece around a story has about 6 paths that are roughly about the same. It's the director's vision to make it more emotional/tragic to feel more for the character. I mean Joker was made to make you feel for Arthur, who is obviously a wicked person.

Take Spiderman 2, it was hailed because of it's story, not for it's acting or because it was a superhero movie. Why? Because Parker (Maguire) was treated so poorly, wanted nothing in life except to help people, then he realizes he feels empty, tries to be like other people only to realize he must continue to sacrifice, be hated, and still not succeed. It's only when he gives up everything does he save the woman he loves and she loves him.

Beware of marketers selling stories. Hernandez was a wicked man.

On 1/21/2020 at 10:50 AM, MAJBobby said:

Television and movie makers are so unoriginal.  They just copy each other. All the OJ stuff came out together.  

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

I can't take him or the BU people totally seriously because they say everybody has CTE when they examine the brains.  I think there were maybe 1 or 2 they haven't said it about.  

On 1/19/2020 at 7:05 PM, NJKBillsfan said:

Thinking about watching it but is it really that good?

Wife & daughter were enthralled with it. I’ve only watched the 1st one and knowing the outcome, don’t care to watch it any further. 

And I'm a big Gator fan.

1 hour ago, BigBillsFan said:

Sadly I do marketing so I know this schtick well:

1. Show someone's story in a sad light, emotional light

2. Show their decision following said fallenness

3. Turn a low-life idiot into a victim

Almost all tragedies run on this path. Most every movie, show, marketing piece around a story has about 6 paths that are roughly about the same. It's the director's vision to make it more emotional/tragic to feel more for the character. I mean Joker was made to make you feel for Arthur, who is obviously a wicked person.

Take Spiderman 2, it was hailed because of it's story, not for it's acting or because it was a superhero movie. Why? Because Parker (Maguire) was treated so poorly, wanted nothing in life except to help people, then he realizes he feels empty, tries to be like other people only to realize he must continue to sacrifice, be hated, and still not succeed. It's only when he gives up everything does he save the woman he loves and she loves him.

Beware of marketers selling stories. Hernandez was a wicked man.

I think the director of this one really didn't want the viewer to side with Hernandez but present a reason behind why he may have done it, as feel they showed both sides of the issue and it did end with stating pretty much that at the end of the day it was Hernandez's choice to kill the guy. 

On 1/16/2020 at 3:18 AM, thenorthremembers said:

Halfway through part one and I gotta tell you the high school qb and his dad dont seem that credible to me. 

The QB reminds me of Roberto, The Waterboy’s father. 

I’ve just watched the first episode and as someone else has mentioned the QB’s dad is coming across as though this is his breakout role and it’s Hollywood all the way from here. 

Both very strange people. Whether that makes them untrustworthy I don’t know.

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, BritBill said:

The QB reminds me of Roberto, The Waterboy’s father. 

I’ve just watched the first episode and as someone else has mentioned the QB’s dad is coming across as though this is his breakout role and it’s Hollywood all the way from here. 

Both very strange people. Whether that makes them untrustworthy I don’t know.

They both come across as narcissists.    I've found that people who make practical life matters into Hollywood profound are usually emotionally immature and very hard to trust.  

• Like (+1) 1