New Aaron Hernandez Documentary on Netflix. Wow . Must watch

JerseyBills

51 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I'm curious as to what you could have possible expected. It was very well laid out and they spoke to everyone close to the situation willing to speak. Sounds like leaving you satisfied was an impossibility.

I didn’t think it was as compelling as they hoped. Some of the cinematography was clunky (so many shots of random trees) and I think at times they stretched the story or rehashed stuff to fill time and leaned on the homosexuality too hard.

more doctors, more drug info, more security footage, etc... could’ve tied it together better. Heck with the right production team you might’ve even gotten more involvement from various league/media sources. 

it was interesting but as these types of shows go I wouldn’t say this one was one of the better constructed, but because of his nfl ties it held me through the end

Edited by NoSaint

4 hours ago, davefan66 said:

I don’t believe AB’s issues are CTE at all.

His issue is that he’s an uneducated POS.  He feels that his money gives him power to do things “regular” people can’t do and get away with it.  His actions are that of a true narsasistic sociopath.

I believe CTE is caused by repeated head blows.  I also believe the effects can manifest themselves as advertised.  There needs to be more research to get real answers though,  not every negative action by an athlete can be chalked up to CTE.  Shouldn’t be a convenient excuse. 

...possibly, but how about the equally heinous crimes committed by those NEVER subjected to CTE as you said?.....more victims of society?.....

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...possibly, but how about the equally heinous crimes committed by those NEVER subjected to CTE as you said?.....more victims of society?.....

It certainly isn’t as simple as that. Do the millions and millions of people around the world who suffer from depression just choose to be depressed? Shouldn’t they just choose to be happy and be over it? Or is there a chemical in balance in the brain that we humans are not smart enough to figure out how to balance it correctly? We simply do not know enough about the human brain to understand this completely...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Some people are predisposed to commit crimes, either simple theft to heinous murder.

Some of those that commit crimes are victims of society and/or upbringing.  Not everyone is properly taught right from wrong, although that is something that should be inherent at birth.  What about those that grow up destitute?  That the only way to put food in their mouths is stealing?  I certainly don’t condone, but understand.  Those that commit murder do it for many reasons - crime of passion, history of mental or sexual abuse, gang activity, revenge, retaliation, mental health, etc.  Each reason is personal to that person, and we must try to understand why they did what they did to help others from making bad decisions.

The question here is, can AH’s actions be due to a strict upbringing, a bad childhood home and his inability to cope with his sexuality?  I certainly do not condone what he did, and believe he was rightfully charged and incarcerated for the murder of Lloyd.  Though I understand how his childhood could contribute to him making poor decisions in life.  Couple that with his celebrity (high school, college and the pro’s), money and not being held accountable for his actions in previous altercations, it was a recipe for disaster.

While he may not have pulled the trigger on the 2 guys in the car, he was certainly a witness and most likely the impetus for their murders.  That and his lack of remorse for the murder of Lloyd shows that he was at the very least a sociopath.  How he got that way is not exactly known, but his upbringing and adult life most likely contributed.

Edited by davefan66

3 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

So why aren't all these other NFL players going beserk on other people?

It amounts to the same thing - shifting the responsibility away from the criminal (or the parents) and onto something else. Everyone is a victim now, even the poor little murderer. Bless his size 13 cotton socks.

Bro.... He went to jail for life. As he should have. What exactly are you looking for? 

that doesn’t mean there wasn’t other large factors to consider why he did it. One of which is that his head was physically screwed up. 

But at the end of the day the guy got his sentence. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

I liked the documentary but it was closer to good than great. I think it was one episode too long and they really started repeating the same information.  

Some things that stood out to me:

1. I enjoyed Odin Lloyd's friend paying tribute to his life. I thought the semi pro scenes and his friends/family interviews were strong.

2. The town in Connecticut were Hernandez played highschool football was a little bizarre. I thought every contributor from that town was off. Something in the water?

3. My hatred for Robert Kraft is far worse than Brady or Belichek. He just makes me sick.

4. Jose Baez is a stud lawyer.

5. The Gronkowski family is full of mouth breathers but thats not news.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Meatloaf63 said:

It certainly isn’t as simple as that. Do the millions and millions of people around the world who suffer from depression just choose to be depressed? Shouldn’t they just choose to be happy and be over it? Or is there a chemical in balance in the brain that we humans are not smart enough to figure out how to balance it correctly? We simply do not know enough about the human brain to understand this completely...

...would NEVER minimize depression.....it wrests your normal life away......but acknowledging it and seeking treatment is an individual's first step.....only they can take that step.....Incognito is a prime example as to whatever he was facing...close friends urged him to seek help......he blew off their wishes......

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...would NEVER minimize depression.....it wrests your normal life away......but acknowledging it and seeking treatment is an individual's first step.....only they can take that step.....Incognito is a prime example as to whatever he was facing...close friends urged him to seek help......he blew off their wishes......

I’m just saying that as one example, what I’m really saying is we have barely scratched the surface of understanding what goes on in our brains. I wasn’t accusing you of minimizing depression, sorry if it came off that way?...

3 hours ago, Doc said:

It was a combination of things.  CTE in and of itself won't make you kill people.  Neither will being gay (or bisexual, which he probably was, but still it's not considered to be a good look for an NFL player to have sex with guys).  And one thing that wasn't really touched-on is that Hernandez was taking a lot of drugs like PCP and cocaine, along with pot, ketorolac (Toradol), and probably steroids and/or HGH.  And prior to killing himself, he was smoking K2 (synthetic pot).

Good post Doc and I agree about the combination of things.  It's a witches brew.

Sometimes I feel people want to look for the one "magic bullet" reason that wraps everything in their minds.

My experience in life is that's seldom true.

The human brain is a tricky thing.  Aaron Hernandez was not a victim and did numerous heinous crimes that ended up by him

taking his own life.  I believe that many factors could of changed his life and he and those around him didn't change it.

I couldn't help but think about Richie Incognito in comparison.  Richie on his med's and surrounded by a positive environment is completely different

than the Richie without those 2 things.  The Richie example makes me amazed about how complicated the brain is and what science in the 

future can do to attempt to prevent these type of tragedies.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

Some people are predisposed to commit crimes, either simple theft to heinous murder.

Some of those that commit crimes are victims of society and/or upbringing.  Not everyone is properly taught right from wrong, although that is something that should be inherent at birth.  What about those that grow up destitute?  That the only way to put food in their mouths is stealing?  I certainly don’t condone, but understand.  Those that commit murder do it for many reasons - crime of passion, history of mental or sexual abuse, gang activity, revenge, retaliation, mental health, etc.  Each reason is personal to that person, and we must try to understand why they did what they did to help others from making bad decisions.

The question here is, can AH’s actions be due to a strict upbringing, a bad childhood home and his inability to cope with his sexuality?  I certainly do not condone what he did, and believe he was rightfully charged and incarcerated for the murder of Lloyd.  Though I understand how his childhood could contribute to him making poor decisions in life.  Couple that with his celebrity (high school, college and the pro’s), money and not being held accountable for his actions in previous altercations, it was a recipe for disaster.

While he may not have pulled the trigger on the 2 guys in the car, he was certainly a witness and most likely the impetus for their murders.  That and his lack of remorse for the murder of Lloyd shows that he was at the very least a sociopath.  How he got that way is not exactly known, but his upbringing and adult life most likely contributed.

...I'm not a psychologist or psychiatrist....but it seems to me that many recognize their upbringing/environment as a dead end and fight like hell to get out of it for a better life....his path was football leading to an NFL dream only afforded to 1,696 annually...he made it to that level, the envy of many who do NOT.....and then the wheels fell off for whatever reasons that we'll never know.....a sad ending to topple down the mountain IMO....

4 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I’m just saying that as one example, what I’m really saying is we have barely scratched the surface of understanding what goes on in our brains. I wasn’t accusing you of minimizing depression, sorry if it came off that way?...

...no need to apologize.....all is good my friend......imagine if we knew exactly how the brain was wired and had the ability to rewire the evil between one's ears?....the world would be utopia....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Oldtime, I was just posting about Richie myself.  I know that the best thing is for an individual to seek help but that doesn't always happen.

I've had a personal dealing with this type of situation and I still have a hard time with it.  I have guilt and grief that I couldn't help her more.

I often wonder about what the world looked like through her eyes and it's tough to put all the blame on her.

I got no clear answer to these type of things and probably never will.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...no need to apologize.....all is good my friend......imagine if we knew exactly how the brain was wired and had the ability to rewire the evil between one's ears?....the world would be utopia....

We do have these answers.  It's our free will that won't allow for the understanding to manifest.

17 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Oldtime, I was just posting about Richie myself.  I know that the best thing is for an individual to seek help but that doesn't always happen.

I've had a personal dealing with this type of situation and I still have a hard time with it.  I have guilt and grief that I couldn't help her more.

I often wonder about what the world looked like through her eyes and it's tough to put all the blame on her.

I got no clear answer to these type of things and probably never will.

...I have, currently do and will FOREVER value your judgment and friendship PERIOD...I lost two immediate family members to the throes of depression.....and like you, I STILL have guilt (30+ years hence) for not clearly recognizing their struggles, interceding to provide MUCH better help, in search of a better outcome (they are gone)....like you my friend, there are no clear answers and we can guilt ourselves to death......we conceivably could have delayed their actions, but never stopped their intentions to alleviate the pain....

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I have, currently do and will FOREVER value your judgment and friendship PERIOD...I lost two immediate family members to the throes of depression.....and like you, I STILL have guilt (30+ years hence) for not clearly recognizing their struggles, interceding to provide MUCH better help, in search of a better outcome (they are gone)....like you my friend, there are no clear answers and we can guilt ourselves to death......we conceivably could have delayed their actions, but never stopped their intentions to alleviate the pain....

Amen brother.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I'm not a psychologist or psychiatrist....but it seems to me that many recognize their upbringing/environment as a dead end and fight like hell to get out of it for a better life....his path was football leading to an NFL dream only afforded to 1,696 annually...he made it to that level, the envy of many who do NOT.....and then the wheels fell off for whatever reasons that we'll never know.....a sad ending to topple down the mountain IMO....

I wish it were the many that fight like hell for a better life.  Too many times people allow their “lot” in life to dictate to them, not the other way around.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Needle said:

I liked the documentary but it was closer to good than great. I think it was one episode too long and they really started repeating the same information.  

Some things that stood out to me:

1. I enjoyed Odin Lloyd's friend paying tribute to his life. I thought the semi pro scenes and his friends/family interviews were strong.

2. The town in Connecticut were Hernandez played highschool football was a little bizarre. I thought every contributor from that town was off. Something in the water?

3. My hatred for Robert Kraft is far worse than Brady or Belichek. He just makes me sick.

4. Jose Baez is a stud lawyer.

5. The Gronkowski family is full of mouth breathers but thats not news.

That's certain parts of Bristol for ya.

• Like (+1) 1

So I was just listening to the Zach Smith podcast and he was a GA at Florida when AH was there. He said AH told him a story (and to other coaches as well) that he actually fathered a child with his “cousin” Tanya. He said he wasn’t sure if she was actually his cousin or just a close family friend. He said the doc claimed she was a cousin and wondered if they uncovered the part about the child but protected the child who didn’t know AH was the father, or if he was lying about the whole thing. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Sad 1

One more episode to go on this Aaron Hernandez documentary. If you like these kinds of documentaries, you should check out "The Keepers" on Netflix. I know that is off topic, but it is very good. It is a docuseries  about the unsolved murder of Cathy Cesnik; I am still haunted by it.