New Aaron Hernandez Documentary on Netflix. Wow . Must watch

JerseyBills

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Nobody thinks AB is a normal person. He has something wrong with him for sure, but there are countless clinical causes to his issues. CTE could definately be a contributor, but that's just a guess (and a cop out). And CTE certainly doesn't excuse his actions, nor the actions of any other players. Thousands of people deal with it on a daily basis without becoming complete wastes of human space like AB and Hernandez. They get through it without murdering people or without cussing at cops and throwing bags of gummy penises at ex lovers.

Having the mental capacity to know the difference between right and wrong means EVERYTHING when determining culpability. Its easy for a person who hasn't dealt with these issues to sit back and assume you should still no right from wrong regardless of you mental issue.

On 1/15/2020 at 8:24 AM, MJS said:

A lot of people have messed up childhoods and don't go on to murder anyone. I get your point and intentions, but I wouldn't waste your energy feeling bad for a guy like this. Feel bad for the ones who deserve it.

And that's the catch all excuse for football players... And I'm sick of seeing it used as an excuse.

I know. My Aunt uses her dementia the same way! Sick of hearing it!!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kkspike said:

In other news mid February another tight end who played for Cleveland Tampa New England and the jets will be sentenced on multiple charges.

Oh man he's weirdly even more screwed up isn't he? Kellen Winslow stories are insane. He traveled with a torso apparently. 

Definitely going to watch this. I have no sympathy for a possible serial killer, but it's fascinating stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, StHustle said:

AB having issues is no new development. Him having issues ON THIS LEVEL....certainly is a new development. I think it is CTE. He makes sense only in his own head. He TRULY thinks he is doing nothing wrong and is the victim. CLEARLY a new development to do it at this extreme. He wouldnt have made it as far as he had if this was who he always was. If you truly analyze his actions, anyone with a lick of common sense can tell he has mental issues. That doesnt happen to normal people. I'd bet he has CTE.

Lol...you have no idea what you are talking about.

explain why i do not

AB has no filter and does not seem to understand societal boundaries in just about every aspect of life.  Not sure if that's a mental or behavioral disorder? dual personalities? or from upbringing?  CTE? who knows...   Nobody is going to want to hire him.

13 hours ago, StHustle said:

AB having issues is no new development. Him having issues ON THIS LEVEL....certainly is a new development. I think it is CTE. He makes sense only in his own head. He TRULY thinks he is doing nothing wrong and is the victim. CLEARLY a new development to do it at this extreme. He wouldnt have made it as far as he had if this was who he always was. If you truly analyze his actions, anyone with a lick of common sense can tell he has mental issues. That doesnt happen to normal people. I'd bet he has CTE.

Lol...you have no idea what you are talking about.

AB seems like he is a narcissist who has surrounded himself with people who puff him up.  He's a great football player, but he's been propped up in his mind that he's some larger than life persona.  And like no one agrees.  I don't know that its CTE, so much as narcissism going fully unchecked and untreated.  

• Like (+1) 1

It's a tale of questionable decisionmaking that goes on even after he's done the honorable thing by hanging himself. I noticed in episode 3 the service for him was held at Fagass Funeral Home. Seems like someone might have considered other options?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

AB seems like he is a narcissist who has surrounded himself with people who puff him up.  He's a great football player, but he's been propped up in his mind that he's some larger than life persona.  And like no one agrees.  I don't know that its CTE, so much as narcissism going fully unchecked and untreated.  

OBJ is well on his way as well. Continues to be babied and enabled due to his talent. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

OBJ is well on his way as well. Continues to be babied and enabled due to his talent. 

And AB was a much better player.  AB was 4 time 1st team all-pro, and 7 time pro bowler (led the league in TDs in 2018 and didn't get 1st team all-pro, so probably almost 5 time).  ODB has 0 all-pros, 3 pro bowls and none since 2016, Missed time with injuries, and hasn't been very good the last 2 years.  If only ODB was as good in real life as he is in his mind.

I watched the Netlfix series, while keeping up with this thread. I tried to consider the sympathetic points of view stated here and the "understanding" statements in the show. Hernandez murdered at will. He was nothing more than a consuming animal. The series was a boring, superficial, excuse-making waste of three hours of my life. He was given great gifts and used them to cause great harm. No excuses, no sympathy, and this is NOT must watch television.

Edited by RochesterLifer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Great doc though they all must be taken with a grain of salt.  My general thought is your past doesn’t excuse your present and future but it’s so interesting how a couple things can totally change your entire life.  His fiancée seems like the type of girl you should marry.  His HS qb taking about his dimples. ?. And I liked the semi pro guy who was friends with ODin.  And how did Brady not get in on some of that action???

just a sad story all around.  But hey, the Patriot Way!!!

2 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

I watched the Netlfix series, while keeping up with this thread. I tried to consider the sympathetic points of view stated here and the "understanding" statements in the show. Hernandez murdered at will. He was nothing more than a consuming animal. The series was a boring, superficial, excuse-making waste of three hours of my life. He was given great gifts and used them to cause great harm. No excuses, no sympathy, and this is NOT must watch television.

Just our of curiosity, what type of shoes do you normally like?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Great doc though they all must be taken with a grain of salt.  My general thought is your past doesn’t excuse your present and future but it’s so interesting how a couple things can totally change your entire life.  His fiancée seems like the type of girl you should marry.  His HS qb taking about his dimples. ?. And I liked the semi pro guy who was friends with ODin.  And how did Brady not get in on some of that action???

just a sad story all around.  But hey, the Patriot Way!!!

Just our of curiosity, what type of shoes do you normally like?

I suspect there is a joke in here. But, I don't understand. What are you getting at? Answer: old, ratty sneakers.

Just now, RochesterLifer said:

I suspect there is a joke in here. But, I don't understand. What are you getting at? Answer: old, ratty sneakers.

No, total serious question. I’m genuinely curious. A lot of shows are about people who do terrible things but you get a backstory of why.  Like Sopranos. Personally, I think they don’t excuse how terrible a person is but I do find them interesting. Like if Hernandez dad never dies, does any of this happen? If he did struggle with his sexuality, does he work so hard to become pretend to be some tough guy?  It’s part of my career so I find it fascinating but to each their own.

23 hours ago, AKC said:

It's a tale of questionable decisionmaking that goes on even after he's done the honorable thing by hanging himself. I noticed in episode 3 the service for him was held at Fagass Funeral Home. Seems like someone might have considered other options?

Dude we noticed that funeral home name too everybody in the room cracked up.

Also the dad of Aarons high school qb is hilarious.  The "Bob Ross paintings" line was a crier

:) Thank you for the thoughtful answer. I do respect the deeper considerations. However, I am also jaded by privileged athletes (I was one) never having consequences and feeling immune to accountability. That is pretty much where I sit here. If he learned right from wrong and accountability, he still would have struggled with his demons (we all do), but multiple murders, wow.

No about the shoes....

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Dude we noticed that funeral home name too everybody in the room cracked up.

Also the dad of Aarons high school qb is hilarious.  The "Bob Ross paintings" line was a crier

That was Jeff Garlin, wasn't it?  

2 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

Pretty good series overall. Touched on some things I didn’t know. Didn’t think it was necessary to keep bringing up his sexuality. Him being gay or not is not the reason why he turned into a serial killer. Enough with the gay stuff already 

Couldn’t disagree more.  This was a dude who was taught it was disgraceful to be gay.  Think about the quote his father said.  He was supposed to be an alpha man playing an alpha sport where being gay isn’t considered a positive thing.  To pretend to be something you’re not your whole life has to hard.  And it sounds like it made him overcompensate as a tough guy.

doesnt excuse his behavior in the slightest but to pretend like it might not be a factor is kinda Naive.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Couldn’t disagree more.  This was a dude who was taught it was disgraceful to be gay.  Think about the quote his father said.  He was supposed to be an alpha man playing an alpha sport where being gay isn’t considered a positive thing.  To pretend to be something you’re not your whole life has to hard.  And it sounds like it made him overcompensate as a tough guy.

doesnt excuse his behavior in the slightest but to pretend like it might not be a factor is kinda Naive.

Find it kinda hard to believe he was really gay since he seemed to live at strip clubs, was engaged to a lady and had a kid. Just the media trying to push the Gay agenda even more ?

9 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Find it kinda hard to believe he was really gay since he seemed to live at strip clubs, was engaged to a lady and had a kid. Just the media trying to push the Gay agenda even more ?

Have you never met a gay person that is in the closet? The cover is everything.

I had friends in high school have parents get divorced after one of the parents finally had the courage to come out.

Edited by Clemfield2622
  • Like (+1) 2