New Aaron Hernandez Documentary on Netflix. Wow . Must watch

JerseyBills

19 minutes ago, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

I watched the series and I do have sympathy for the environment Hernandez grew up in, but it just seems to me that CTE may only have exasperated his violent tendencies that already existed and he may have gone down this road anyways.  I feel although his father's opinion on homosexuality created a extremely difficult home environment for Aaron, if his father had made it a few more years, Aaron would be alive today.

He had no history of violence in his childhood.   His violence began in college, incidentally around the same time experts believe the brain damage was evident.

The timeline of his violent events coincide perfectly with the timeline of the onset of progressive brain disease. 

8 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

He had no history of violence in his childhood.   His violence began in college, incidentally around the same time experts believe the brain damage was evident.

The timeline of his violent events coincide perfectly with the timeline of the onset of progressive brain disease. 

I also think the constant smoking of k2 just exacerbated the illness. That stuff has turned alot of guys legit crazy. 

14 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Also around the same time he lost his father which seemed to have a great impact on him.  Also, the adversity of becoming an adult can bring out characteristics not seen prior in childhood.  I understand what you are saying but you are basically boiling down all his violence and murders to being caused by CTE which imo is a bit presumptive.  Sometimes people have difficulty handling the real world when they reach adulthood, especially when they have unresolved childhood issues.  I would wager that is a bigger reason this all happened than CTE.  

1 hour ago, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

Also around the same time he lost his father which seemed to have a great impact on him.  Also, the adversity of becoming an adult can bring out characteristics not seen prior in childhood.  I understand what you are saying but you are basically boiling down all his violence and murders to being caused by CTE which imo is a bit presumptive.  Sometimes people have difficulty handling the real world when they reach adulthood, especially when they have unresolved childhood issues.  I would wager that is a bigger reason this all happened than CTE.  

It wasn't the same time he lost his father.   His father was dead dead two years before he had any incidents. 

Well its not too presumptuous when we know for fact CTE causes rage, the inability to make correct judgments, violence, depression, and makes one very impulsive. 

Those are documented facts of the disease.

Sure he had other problems and im sure they didn't help.  But....his medical case is like "nothing ever seen before."  

I'd wager CTE was the biggest part of his issue.   The guy had severe brain damage.  All the other stuff aside, we are talking about a severe medical condition. 

The saddest part is there was no way to actually diagnos it until his brain was actually dissected.

Had this been discovered earlier its more than likely these events never take place. 

They are working on early warning brain scans right now. 

Every NFL player should be mandated for testing once a year the instant a reliable test becomes available. 

Edited by TwistofFate

25 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

It wasn't the same time he lost his father.   His father was dead dead two years before he had any incidents. 

Well its not too presumptuous when we know for fact CTE causes rage, the inability to make correct judgments, violence, depression, and makes one very impulsive. 

Those are documented facts of the disease.

Sure he had other problems and im sure they didn't help.  But....his medical case is like "nothing ever seen before."  

I'd wager CTE was the biggest part of his issue.   The guy had severe brain damage.  All the other stuff aside, we are talking about a severe medical condition. 

The saddest part is there was no way to actually diagnos it until his brain was actually dissected.

Had this been discovered earlier its more than likely these events never take place. 

They are working on early warning brain scans right now. 

Every NFL player should be mandated for testing once a year the instant a reliable test becomes available. 

His father died to years earlier as you said.  He was still in high school and had his family and community to ground him.  When he suprisingly left for Florida, spurning UConn, he was completely on his own with no guidance.  I would say that is the reason he began to act out at that age rather than CTE.  

It is well done but I personally thought it did a lot to blame other people and circumstances for his actions. Im sure his life and getting his head smashed up had something to do with it but its not like the NFL is full or murderers. Still a good watch nonetheless.

2 hours ago, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

I think the person mentioning drug use is relevant too. 

id venture a guess that later in HS and into college he probably began dabbling in riskier drugs. Could be CTE. Could be PCP. Likely his father situation contributed to both.

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I think the person mentioning drug use is relevant too. 

id venture a guess that later in HS and into college he probably began dabbling in riskier drugs. Could be CTE. Could be PCP. Likely his father situation contributed to both.

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

I watched the series and I do have sympathy for the environment Hernandez grew up in, but it just seems to me that CTE may only have exasperated his violent tendencies that already existed and he may have gone down this road anyways.  I feel although his father's opinion on homosexuality created a extremely difficult home environment for Aaron, if his father had made it a few more years, Aaron would be alive today.

Yea I lost my football career to concussions and will donate my brain

I suspect I have cte or brain trauma... I have went through some rough patches after my football playing days were over and realized the dramatic mood switches and confusion was due to brain trauma

Finally after years of no contact football I honestly am starting to feel normal again.   It took a long long long time

But I never wanted to hurt anyone else and never would

47 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea I lost my football career to concussions and will donate my brain

I suspect I have cte or brain trauma... I have went through some rough patches after my football playing days were over and realized the dramatic mood switches and confusion was due to brain trauma

Finally after years of no contact football I honestly am starting to feel normal again.   It took a long long long time

But I never wanted to hurt anyone else and never would

Life is very complicated. No single emoji can cover all that. I’m sad that you’ve had the rough patches, happy that you seem to have put them behind you, and thrilled that you never felt aggressive towards others. 

I know what I see as right and wrong. I also know that others have different life experiences. People always need to be held accountable for their actions, but I try not to personally judge them since I can never know where they come from and have never walked in their shoes. It’s complicated, and too often sad. 

We have a good friend, and his father told him he’d rather have a dead son than a gay son. How eff’ed up is THAT? Yeah, he’s struggled with it, but he’s actually very successful. I admire him for fighting through it, but not everyone can do that. 

I try to focus on the good stuff and keep things positive. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

Life is very complicated. No single emoji can cover all that. I’m sad that you’ve had the rough patches, happy that you seem to have put them behind you, and thrilled that you never felt aggressive towards others. 

I know what I see as right and wrong. I also know that others have different life experiences. People always need to be held accountable for their actions, but I try not to personally judge them since I can never know where they come from and have never walked in their shoes. It’s complicated, and too often sad. 

We have what we consider a very dear friend, and his father told him he’s rather have a dead son than a gay son. How eff’ed up is THAT? Yeah, he’s struggled with it, but he’s actually very successful. I admire him for fighting through it, but not everyone can do that. 

I try to focus on the good stuff and keep things positive. 

Thank you and of course I always try and keep it positive

It really is something that changes who you are at the core... After my playing days I went through 7 maybe 10 years of being mentally different

Like I just wasn't who I was born and raised to be

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Thank you and of course I always try and keep it positive

It really is something that changes who you are at the core... After my playing days I went through 7 maybe 10 years of being mentally different

Like I just wasn't who I was born and raised to be

ZERO question, it is a very real thing. I’m glad it’s getting more attention and awareness.  Hopefully we can prevent injuries going forward and better learn how to treat the MANY people out there already suffering from the effects. 

I’m glad our son decided to focus on his future rather than continue football into his college years. 

13 hours ago, MJS said:

And how many former players have CTE without murdering people?

CTE is used as a catch all excuse. That's a fact. People kill themselves without having CTE, so I don't even know what you are talking about.

Is it possible that CTE had an effect? Absolutely, but people automatically go there and use it as an excuse to dismiss the actions of players all the time. THOSE are the people who don't know what they are talking about and need to "think a little deeper".

For instance, people are going to CTE to explain Antonio Brown's antics, fully ignoring all of the issues he had as a child and all throughout his life. His actions are not a new development, he's always had issues. Aaron Hernandez has always had issues as well.

AB having issues is no new development. Him having issues ON THIS LEVEL....certainly is a new development. I think it is CTE. He makes sense only in his own head. He TRULY thinks he is doing nothing wrong and is the victim. CLEARLY a new development to do it at this extreme. He wouldnt have made it as far as he had if this was who he always was. If you truly analyze his actions, anyone with a lick of common sense can tell he has mental issues. That doesnt happen to normal people. I'd bet he has CTE.

13 hours ago, aristocrat said:

cte is not proven science.  there is evidence but it is not certain science. the media is very ahead of the science right now. 

hernandez was a gangster. people get shot and killed over that stuff quite often. 

Lol...you have no idea what you are talking about.

3 minutes ago, StHustle said:

AB having issues is no new development. Him having issues ON THIS LEVEL....certainly is a new development. I think it is CTE. He makes sense only in his own head. He TRULY thinks he is doing nothing wrong and is the victim. CLEARLY a new development to do it at this extreme. He wouldnt have made it as far as he had if this was who he always was. If you truly analyze his actions, anyone with a lick of common sense can tell he has mental issues. That doesnt happen to normal people. I'd bet he has CTE.

Nobody thinks AB is a normal person. He has something wrong with him for sure, but there are countless clinical causes to his issues. CTE could definately be a contributor, but that's just a guess (and a cop out). And CTE certainly doesn't excuse his actions, nor the actions of any other players. Thousands of people deal with it on a daily basis without becoming complete wastes of human space like AB and Hernandez. They get through it without murdering people or without cussing at cops and throwing bags of gummy penises at ex lovers.