New Aaron Hernandez Documentary on Netflix. Wow . Must watch

JerseyBills

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I read an article about Aaron Hernandez a couple of years back that mentioned he was gay in high school, which wouldn't have gone over well with his father had it been known.  Apparently his father was pretty tough on Aaron.  Was any of this mentioned?

Yes. All of it. I just finished the 2nd episode.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Even with all the Hernandez specials already done by other companies , I'm 1 episode in and this documentary is absolutely addicting. Covers much much more details and is a must watch imo. 

Just go on your Netflix , search Aaron Hernandez to find the documentary ,if it doesn't Pop up on your home screen. Just came out at midnight . 

Gotta say , this really made me feel for Hernandez and all parties involved in this tragedy .

You feel for Hernandez?

Sorry but... LOL

You probably root for actors to win Oscars too.

Yeah its good, my son and I binged it tonite.  It's a wild story.

The thing I never realized is the guy shot 4 people, and all of them were premeditated.  3 of them died, somehow the 4th guy made it despite being shot in the face.

Remarkable how chilled and joking the guy was on recorded jail phone calls about getting put away for life.  Dude never seemed down or lost his sense of humor.

Lastly, it was good to see them show the inhumane side of Belichick.  Aaron comes to him looking for a trade or to be released to another city because he's in fear of the thugs he wronged.  Bill says nope.   Aaron hires his own thugs to be bodyguards, and they become his close friends, with him when they drove Boyd to a secluded apot and Hernandez guns him down. 

AH told his fiancee Bill was the worst coach of all time haha obviously not technically just as a human being. 

He had Urban Meyer all those years in FL he was used to a kind coach with personality and compassion.  He got drafted by smug Bill and mullet man Kraft, and only 2 hours away from all his homies where he grew up.  That was definitely bad luck for a kid who was already troubled.

14 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I mean they reveal alot of the jail calls and apparently after his father passed, his mom starts dating his cousin fiancee , and just months after , moves into the house , just one example of some real f'd up stuff that is going to psychologically mess with a teenagers head. Still no excuse to murder anybody . 

Watched Episode 1. I must say....I concur.

Watched the first episode.

I get why people are saying it's sad. It is.

Very Shakespearean.

It does humanize Hernandez.  But when I say it's Shakespearean, I'm talking specifically Macbeth. There's no tragedy in their ultimate death because they deserved it. The tragedy is what led up to them being deserving of their demise.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, MJS said:

And that's the catch all excuse for football players... And I'm sick of seeing it used as an excuse.

Excuse? Are you arguing against proven science? I can understand when its used anytime a player does any little thing but when its clear mental issues you can't just blow it off. That's very disrespectful to the very people who provide the entertainment playing this game you love to watch.

Hernandez had the worst case of CTE the most recognized CTE researcher in the world ever saw. Hernadez murdered 2 people because a drink was spilled on him in the club. He was CLEARLY affected by the disease. I believe it was a combination of CTE, losing his dad in a freak surgical death, terrible relationship with his mom (who he felt betrayed by) and the fact that he felt he had to cover up that he was gay because the world wouldnt accept him for who he was, that ultimately drove him to kill. MANY people have messed up lives and dont kill. But what happens if you combined an extraordinarily messed up life, with a extraordinarily bad case of CTE? Point being, it could very well be the CTE that drove him over that edge. Consider the MILLIONS of people who are depressed and dont kill themselves. Then take Junior Seau who was extremely depressed combined with CTE. It drove him to kill. Yes it wasn't another person but if you take the CTE out the equation does Seau still go over that edge?

While sitting up on your high horse, you should really think a little deeper about things that you have no experience with before you completely blow it off as a simple excuse.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Ya I forgot and saw that in last episode. I agree with many on here, that it is no excuse. I think it was one of many factors. Interesting part was his childhood friend saying how he wished he was drafted as far as possible from Connecticut and maybe that's true

Something being true doesn't make it an excuse. It's just reality. 

If you look up the effects and stages of CTE, Hernandez's brain was so damaged that it would have barely been functioning by the time most of this happened. 

Effects of stage 4 CTE include: loss of memory, paranoia, aggression, explosivity, loss of attention and concentration, executive dysfunction, etc. 

A lot of the stuff with Hernandez started before hand, but I think it would have been severely compounded by the deterioration of the functionality of his brain. I think the CTE would have made his behaviour and decision making worse given how bad it was. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Halfway through part one and I gotta tell you the high school qb and his dad dont seem that credible to me. 

For some reason I found the high school QB to be one of the most jarring parts of the piece.  He kept re-living his "glory days" thinking he was on the same level as The King in HS - when he appeared to be such a schlub now.   The father almost did come off rehearsed - almost like an actor.

The series itself was informative, but don't feel they did much more than mostly piece together clips from others who had already done investigation/stories.   The sudden turn at the end to try to make him a sympathetic figure and potentially absolved of blame I thought was a bit overdone

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I didn't pay much attention to Hernandez trial so I was caught off guard with the talk of him being gay. I mean did we really need to know about his sexual life?

It is a possible if not likely motive for killing Loyed.  It's relevant in this context imo.

11 hours ago, RiotAct said:

gotta admit, that was pretty classy of the Pats* letting fans exchange their Hernandez jerseys once he was arrested.

Meh did you see how Bill denied trading him when he asked to be traded to get away from the area and how the organization was basically complicit and got him a hideaway apartment to lay low in?  And the Toradol abuse, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

I watched a different one I think on epix I enjoyed better. It was a lesser production. 
I finished this Netflix one today I didn’t really care for it. Maybe they were just trying to shed light on his life/abuse/cte but it just played as trying to gain sympathy for him. 
He was a pretend gangster like the one guy said. Regardless of CTE or drugs or whatever he wanted to be a thug and live the lifestyle rap music portrays. Most telling part was how he had secret compartments built into his vehicles to hide guns when he could legally own them and carry with no issue. 
Bad crowd and pretending to be a gangster. 
Sad for his kid. Sad for the victims. But it’s a sickening story. 

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

Excuse? Are you arguing against proven science? I can understand when its used anytime a player does any little thing but when its clear mental issues you can't just blow it off. That's very disrespectful to the very people who provide the entertainment playing this game you love to watch.

Hernandez had the worst case of CTE the most recognized CTE researcher in the world ever saw. Hernadez murdered 2 people because a drink was spilled on him in the club. He was CLEARLY affected by the disease. I believe it was a combination of CTE, losing his dad in a freak surgical death, terrible relationship with his mom (who he felt betrayed by) and the fact that he felt he had to cover up that he was gay because the world wouldnt accept him for who he was, that ultimately drove him to kill. MANY people have messed up lives and dont kill. But what happens if you combined an extraordinarily messed up life, with a extraordinarily bad case of CTE? Point being, it could very well be the CTE that drove him over that edge. Consider the MILLIONS of people who are depressed and dont kill themselves. Then take Junior Seau who was extremely depressed combined with CTE. It drove him to kill. Yes it wasn't another person but if you take the CTE out the equation does Seau still go over that edge?

While sitting up on your high horse, you should really think a little deeper about things that you have no experience with before you completely blow it off as a simple excuse.

cte is not proven science.  there is evidence but it is not certain science. the media is very ahead of the science right now. 

hernandez was a gangster. people get shot and killed over that stuff quite often. 

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

And how many former players have CTE without murdering people?

CTE is used as a catch all excuse. That's a fact. People kill themselves without having CTE, so I don't even know what you are talking about.

Is it possible that CTE had an effect? Absolutely, but people automatically go there and use it as an excuse to dismiss the actions of players all the time. THOSE are the people who don't know what they are talking about and need to "think a little deeper".

For instance, people are going to CTE to explain Antonio Brown's antics, fully ignoring all of the issues he had as a child and all throughout his life. His actions are not a new development, he's always had issues. Aaron Hernandez has always had issues as well.