Centenial Hall of Famers

davefan66

Jimbo Covert - OL Bears

Winston Hill - Tackle Jets (60's and early 70's)

Harold Carmichael - WR Eagles

Duke Slater - 1922-1931

Ed Sprinkle - DE Bears 1944-1955

Steve Sabol - Contributor - NFL Films

Alex Karras - DT Lions

Bobby Dillon  Safety Packers 1952-1959

Donnie Shell Safety Steelers 1974 - 1987

George Young - Contributor/GM Giants

Cliff Harris - Safety - Cowboys 1970-1979

Mac Speedie - End Browns

Paul Taliabue

Bill Cowher

Jimmy Johnson

No Tasker.....

A couple of ones that I know, Carmichael, Karros, Sabol that deserved to be in.  Ohters don't really know.

Edited by davefan66

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

‘Bout time the Sabol’s were acknowledged. They singlehandedly changed the way the game was shown and made the game larger than life. 

<even though they hated the AFL...>

Ed was already in. People were wondering if Steve would also make it in claiming he did essentially the same thing. Steve took it to another level, so arguments can be made of his own contributions.

I better see Dilweg and Wistert (maybe Speedie) to also make it, but I doubt they will focus that much on the older players. Slater and Sprinkle are the token old guys. THe rest will be recent players.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

Jimbo Covert - OL Bears

Winston Hill - Tackle Jets (60's and early 70's)

Harold Carmichael - WR Eagles

Duke Slater - 1922-1931

Ed Sprinkle - DE Bears 1944-1955

Steve Sabol - Contributor - NFL Films

Alex Karras - DT Lions

Bobby Dillon  Safety Packers 1952-1959

Donnie Shell Safety Steelers 1974 - 1987

George Young - Contributor/GM Giants

Cliff Harris - Safety - Cowboys 1970-1979

Mac Speedie - End Browns

Paul Taliabue

Bill Cowher

Jimmy Johnson

No Tasker.....

A couple of ones that I know, Carmichael, Karros, Sabol that deserved to be in.  Ohters don't really know.

Slater and Speedie deserve it. Wistert and Dilweg should have been the other pre-1960 guys over Sprinkle. Good to see Young make it, but McNally should have been picked over Tags. Parker and Shaughnessey should have been selected over Cower and Johnson.

While Cowher and Johnson are decent picks, they probably get in through the regular process eventually so I wouldn't have used 2 slots for them. The players and coaches from the mid 60s on I'm good with. Carmichael has a crazy long consecutive game catch streak which for the era was impressive. For some reason I though Karras was already in, he was really good. 

9 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

For some reason I though Karras was already in, he was really good. 

Me too.  He probably pissed somebody (maybe a lot of people) off back in the day.

I find the Football HOF voting too biased that way -- guys who are in the club get in and the outliers don't make the cut.  Guys on national broadcasts like Cowher and Johnson are in the club.  I don't know if anyone actually dislikes Tasker but neither can I see who his in-the-club buddies are.

BTW, my favorite Karras line from when he was on MNF:  Cosell was going on too long about what a great blocker some RB or WR was, so Karras says, "if he's such a good blocker why don't they stick a 63 on his back and. make him a guard?"

Only one player in the expanded 100 year anniversary class spent much time in the American Football League. There are still a good dozen players from that era who belong. The NFL cannot come to grips with the fact the AFL was the better league by the time of the merger. More good teams, better players. Fun football that drew fans and TV viewers. Come on. After more than 50 years, reward the AFL!

37 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

Me too.  He probably pissed somebody (maybe a lot of people) off back in the day.

I find the Football HOF voting too biased that way -- guys who are in the club get in and the outliers don't make the cut.  Guys on national broadcasts like Cowher and Johnson are in the club.  I don't know if anyone actually dislikes Tasker but neither can I see who his in-the-club buddies are.

BTW, my favorite Karras line from when he was on MNF:  Cosell was going on too long about what a great blocker some RB or WR was, so Karras says, "if he's such a good blocker why don't they stick a 63 on his back and. make him a guard?"

Karras was a favorite of mine when he played for Detroit, but he got in trouble for gambling and was suspended in 1963.  That's probably why it took so long for him to get in.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Dave in Bluffton said:

Karras was a favorite of mine when he played for Detroit, but he got in trouble for gambling and was suspended in 1963.  That's probably why it took so long for him to get in.

I'd forgotten.  You're absolutely right.

11 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

‘Bout time the Sabol’s were acknowledged. They singlehandedly changed the way the game was shown and made the game larger than life. 

<even though they hated the AFL...>

I absolutely love that Sabol got in. 

At the same time, that just magnifies the weak argument against Tasker and "special teams."    If you're going to let in a guy "who changed the way the game was shown," how can the selectors justify excluding a guy who changed the way the game was played??

• Like (+1) 1