Luke Kuechly Retiring

Virgil

13 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

One of my favorite players. Always wanted him in Blue and White, but I respect the decision. 

2 side thoughts:

1- wonder if the coaching change affects this/makes it easier?

2- gotta feel for rhule. Hard enough coming in as the unexpierienced wonderkin, but to do so while losing the rock of leadership on the team is worse. 

1) maybe, I guess. But I think at 28, if you are that far out the door that a coaching change ends your career, you were done already. It may help be an excuse but it’s not the decision.

2) gives him a chance to demarcate the old from the new a bit extra potentially. Curious to see if he’s a rip the band aid or a slowly transition guy.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, eball said:

Smart guy. Choosing being healthy for the next 40 years. 

Exactly. I think we'll see more of this as the years go on. And actually, I hope we do. I love this sport and I hate to see what happens to them and their families when they play too long.

I wish him well if this truly is the end of his career. Going out on his own terms is commendable. It sucks for Panther fans and the league. The NFL could use about 40-50 more Luke Kuechly types, it might help the reputation, perception and image of the game.

Edited by DRA3196

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Does anyone get the feel from the video that this might be more of him being told he can’t play? Medically speaking.

I'm hoping he spoke with McD and Beane and they made it just a tad easier to end his HoF career because he knows he has a HoF coaching position ready

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

1) maybe, I guess. But I think at 28, if you are that far out the door that a coaching change ends your career, you were done already. It may help be an excuse but it’s not the decision.

2) gives him a chance to demarcate the old from the new a bit extra potentially. Curious to see if he’s a rip the band aid or a slowly transition guy.

1- great point.

2- I guess we’ll see when we know where Cam will be playing next year...

Also, no idea if Isaiah Simmons makes it to where the panthers pick, but that’s a mock draft gimme now. 

47 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

This either screams real head trauma or a guy who is smart to get out before it’s too late. Those concussions were no joke and he missed major time over it. 
Zero chance this is a ploy to get out of Carolina he has huge value they would trade him. He is not capable of the beating to his brain without serious damage or possibly already having serious damage 

I got concussed back in November and am still having occasional aftereffects from it. I'd never want to go through having as many as he has.

56 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

Wow here's the report explaining his retirement. Super sad: https://bit.ly/30jfDYc

Welcome to ignore. Not enough content value to posts.

Five of eight seasons he played all games, one year he played 15.  2015-2016 were bad for him but they would be good seasons for a lot of players.

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty AV
Career
2012 21 CAR lb/MLB 59 16 16 2 22 0 25 7 0 0 3 9 0 1.0 164 103 61 12 1   9
2013*+ 22 CAR MLB 59 16 16 4 33 0 30 7           2.0 156 93 63 10 2   18
2014*+ 23 CAR MLB 59 16 16 1 0 0 0 12 1 0 1 0 0 3.0 153 99 54 9 4   15
2015*+ 24 CAR MLB 59 13 13 4 48 1 32 10 2 0 1 0 0 1.0 118 76 42 7 5   15
2016* 25 CAR MLB 59 10 10 1 16 0 16 6 1 0 0 0 0 2.0 102 71 31 6 4   10
2017*+ 26 CAR MLB 59 15 15 3 23 0 23 6 1 0 3 34 1 1.5 125 74 51 7 5   15
2018*+ 27 CAR MLB 59 16 16 1 0 0 0 6 2 0 1 0 0 2.0 130 93 37 20 5   14
2019* 28 CAR LB 59 16 16 2 26 0 25 12           0.0 144 81 63 4 5 1 11
Edited by Limeaid
  • Haha (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Aristocat, please inform him I will wait on him hand and foot and even do his spongebaths if he will just come to Buffalo and play 1 more season so we win the Super Bowl and retire a Bill. 

I don't think that offer is "sweetening the pot." 

Grown man making a decision that the benefit of football no longer outweighs the long term health impact. No issues whatsoever. That's HIS call.

7 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

He'd be a great coach for Edmunds and Milano.

Coach Kuechly, future Bills HC/GM when Beane and McD retire, for now assistant HC and LB coach... Also puts on the Superman cape for Super Bowl and possibly playoffs.

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't think that offer is "sweetening the pot." 

Grown man making a decision that the benefit of football no longer outweighs the long term health impact. No issues whatsoever. That's HIS call.

Well can I still give him his spongebaths?:cry:

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Like (+1) 1

28 Years Old

63 Million in Career Earnings

One of the most respectable and tremendous players over the last decade. 

His whole life ahead of him with limitless options for future work.

Fantastic choice, Luke. Go buy a nice plot of land some where and pursue a passion. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/luke-kuechly-9819/cash-earnings/

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

28 Years Old

63 Million in Career Earnings

One of the most respectable and tremendous players over the last decade. 

His whole life ahead of him with limitless options for future work.

Fantastic choice, Luke. Go buy a nice plot of land some where and pursue a passion. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/luke-kuechly-9819/cash-earnings/

That was Kent Hull's plan. RIP

Respect his decision. Too bad he couldn't go out on top like Strahan.