Penn State 1st Round Hopeful, Gross-Matos named in Federal Hazing Lawsuit.

MAJBobby

3 hours ago, John in Jax said:

The most shocking thing about all of this is that this thread hasn't been locked down yet! ?

As for the "hazing", as others have said, it's a way different world than it was even 10 years ago, so a lot of the things us oldsters grew up with, and shrugged them off as "initiation rites" and/or harmless, now cause many snowflakes to need therapy or file lawsuits.

You shrugged off teabagging and sexual assault as harmless initiation rites?

That's the problem with hazing.  It breeds a mentality of "well this was done to me so its definitely happening to you", not unlike children who grew up in abusive atmospheres.  I wonder why?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

With all due respect, this is something much different. When I pledged my frat in the mid to late 90’s, we were sleep deprived and had to do calisthenics at odd hours, recite chapter history and eat crappy food. I promise you anything close to what is alleged here would still have been criminal back then. Knowing my pledge brothers at the time, we would have gone to war to blow up the place figuratively speaking had something like that happened to any of us. My point is, no matter the generation, there are certain lines that have never been considered cool/harmless to cross. 

Amen, brother.  I could not agree more.

However, for the purposes of awkward historical accuracy given the topic, without cheating please give the BIlls' regular season record for each year since 1990 and drop and give us 50 push ups.  

...and I have a live chicken you need to carry around for a day.

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Amen, brother.  I could not agree more.

However, for the purposes of awkward historical accuracy given the topic, without cheating please give the BIlls' regular season record for each year since 1990 and drop and give us 50 push ups.  

...and I have a live chicken you need to carry around for a day.

How about the reg season records without cheating since 1988 through 1994, and the chicken becomes a turkey leg? :D

1988: 12-4

1989: 9-7

1990: 13-3
1991: 13-3

1992: 11-5

1993: 12-4

1994: 7-9

bonus round:

1995: were we 11-5??

1996: 10-6??

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

How about the reg season records without cheating since 1988 through 1994, and the chicken becomes a turkey leg? :D

1988: 12-4

1989: 9-7

1990: 13-3
1991: 13-3

1992: 11-5

1993: 12-4

1994: 7-9

bonus round:

1995: were we 11-5??

1996: 10-6??

Off of memory to lend support:

1973:  9-5

1974:  9-5

1975:  8-6

1976: ??4-9-1?

1977: 3-11

1978: 5-11

1979:  7-9

1980:  11-5

1981:  10-6

1982:  4-5

1983:  8-8

1984:  2-14

1985:  2-14

1986:  4-12

1987:  7-8

1997:  6-10

2000:  8-8

2001:  3-13

2002:  8-8

2003:  6-10???

2004:  9-7

2005:  5-11

2006:  7-9

2007:  7-9

2008:  7-9

2009:  6-10

2010:  4-12

2011:  6-10

2012:  ???

2013 and on I know and I won't bore you here (too late!), but again the above is off of memory.  I think I am close.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Didn’t read the whole thread, but this suit is BS. An attempt at money grab by a sleazy lawyer and disgruntled player. 
Facts:

1) Gross-Matos isn’t named as a defendant in the lawsuit that was filed. Sleazy lawyer just threw his name in to catch attention. 
2) A complaint was investigated by university and state police who declined to prosecute. 
3) Same complaint was investigated by PSU student affairs ( who have no love for psu players ) who write a 75 page report saying the complaint was unfounded. 
4) dozens of psu players have commented on Twitter, all saying nothing happened. Ryan Bates said “This guy stinks”. (referring to the player who filed the lawsuit). 

Rumor: the guy who filed the lawsuit was known around the program as the laziest player (both in weight room and academics) in years. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pennstate10 said:

Didn’t read the whole thread, but this suit is BS. An attempt at money grab by a sleazy lawyer and disgruntled player. 
Facts:

1) Gross-Matos isn’t named as a defendant in the lawsuit that was filed. Sleazy lawyer just threw his name in to catch attention. 
2) A complaint was investigated by university and state police who declined to prosecute. 
3) Same complaint was investigated by PSU student affairs ( who have no love for psu players ) who write a 75 page report saying the complaint was unfounded. 
4) dozens of psu players have commented on Twitter, all saying nothing happened. Ryan Bates said “This guy stinks”. (referring to the player who filed the lawsuit). 

Rumor: the guy who filed the lawsuit was known around the program as the laziest player (both in weight room and academics) in years. 

well you didn’t let your screen name down. 

• Haha (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Facts:

I think you might wish to revisit your definition of fact.

It does seem to be a fact that Gross-Matos isn't named as a defendent.

That doesn't make it a fact that "Sleazy lawyer threw his name in to catch attention"

From the link in the OP:

"Isaiah attended the school during the calendar year of 2018. He leaves Penn State to another school where he's offered a scholarship in December 2018," Marino said. "The events that arise to an investigation conducted by Penn State's office of sexual misconduct and response, that doesn't arise until May 2019. That investigation was triggered by an anonymous tip and the source of that tip was not my client."

The results of the investigation were then submitted to the Penn State University office of student conduct, according to the lawsuit, and the office of student conduct prosecuted charges lodged against Barber. It is not clear, however, what specific student conduct rule violation he was charged with.

Barber was suspended for the first game of the season, against Idaho, for what was termed at the time of the suspension as a violation of team rules, but he played in the second game, against Buffalo.

That doesn't seem to support the contention that the complaint was unfounded.

The "Rumor" thing would support the contention " Humphries is alleging that the coaching staff overly and unfairly scrutinized his athletic performance after he reported the harassment and that he was scorned and punished by the staff."

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Off of memory to lend support:

1973:  9-5

1974:  9-5

1975:  8-6

1976: ??4-9-1?

1977: 3-11

1978: 5-11

1979:  7-9

1980:  11-5

1981:  10-6

1982:  4-5

1983:  8-8

1984:  2-14

1985:  2-14

1986:  4-12

1987:  7-8

1997:  6-10

2000:  8-8

2001:  3-13

2002:  8-8

2003:  6-10???

2004:  9-7

2005:  5-11

2006:  7-9

2007:  7-9

2008:  7-9

2009:  6-10

2010:  4-12

2011:  6-10

2012:  ???

2013 and on I know and I won't bore you here (too late!), but again the above is off of memory.  I think I am close.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a clinic on how to right properly one-up a fellow poster! :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you might wish to revisit your definition of fact.

It does seem to be a fact that Gross-Matos isn't named as a defendent.

That doesn't make it a fact that "Sleazy lawyer threw his name in to catch attention"

From the link in the OP:

"Isaiah attended the school during the calendar year of 2018. He leaves Penn State to another school where he's offered a scholarship in December 2018," Marino said. "The events that arise to an investigation conducted by Penn State's office of sexual misconduct and response, that doesn't arise until May 2019. That investigation was triggered by an anonymous tip and the source of that tip was not my client."

The results of the investigation were then submitted to the Penn State University office of student conduct, according to the lawsuit, and the office of student conduct prosecuted charges lodged against Barber. It is not clear, however, what specific student conduct rule violation he was charged with.

Barber was suspended for the first game of the season, against Idaho, for what was termed at the time of the suspension as a violation of team rules, but he played in the second game, against Buffalo.

That doesn't seem to support the contention that the complaint was unfounded.

Sitting out a game against a D1AA opponent would seem to be a fairly trivial penalty for sexual assault. Therefore, it is logical to conclude that the student conduct panel viewed the accusations of sexual assault to be unfounded.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pennstate10 said:

Facts:

He didn’t need Gross-Matos’s name to get attention. He had James Franklin and Micah Parsons in there already. Only reason Gross-Matos is in this thread title, I assume, is because it relates to the Bills in that he’s a potential 1st rd draft target. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Sitting out a game against a D1AA opponent would seem to be a fairly trivial penalty for sexual assault. Therefore, it is logical to conclude that the student conduct panel viewed the accusations of sexual assault to be unfounded.   

The point is, that's not a fact.  That's an inference you're making.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He didn’t need Gross-Matos’s name to get attention. He had James Franklin and Micah Parsons in there already. Only reason Gross-Matos is in this thread title, I assume, is because it relates to the Bills in that he’s a potential 1st rd draft target. 

Micah Parsons is not a named defendant either. Supporting the argument that they are trying to draw attention by naming the two best players in the team (YGM and Parsons)

1 minute ago, pennstate10 said:

Micah Parsons is not a named defendant either. Supporting the argument that they are trying to draw attention by naming the two best players in the team (YGM and Parsons)

I didn’t say Gross Matos was a “defendant” - I said he was named in the lawsuit, as were parsons and franklin. No need to include gross-Matos for “attention” - as you claim - when those names are already in there. 

7 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

so if your generation wasn’t fine with dropping nuts on your Chin would you be calling them soft?  Or would your generation be ok with Nuts being dropped on your chin?

I stated the stuff that was done in HS and college as "hazing" in my times as stuff I didnt take issue with..did I put that down as one of them?

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

well you didn’t let your screen name down. 

Maybe the university police, state police, and student committee were too busy investigating the February 2017 hazing death at the Beta Theda Pi fraternity to do a proper investigation!  Maybe they decided  they dIdn’t need another Penn State scandal to contend with. Three frat brothers were sentenced to jail time in April 2019.  Investigate and find nothing seems to be the Penn State “process”.

48 minutes ago, danc said:

Maybe the university police, state police, and student committee were too busy investigating the February 2017 hazing death at the Beta Theda Pi fraternity to do a proper investigation!  Maybe they decided  they dIdn’t need another Penn State scandal to contend with. Three frat brothers were sentenced to jail time in April 2019.  Investigate and find nothing seems to be the Penn State “process”.

LOL. You realize that a PSU alum is the reason you’re not posting this on the Las Vegas Bills message board...

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Yeah, this doesn't sound like hazing, sounds like sexual assault to me. Is this really what kids do these days? Some weird *****. Can't ever say I've had the urge to put my genitals on another man, especially against his will.. lol

3rd base (of the past) has become pregame warm ups at this point. 

I wish that were the case with my wife. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1