Penn State 1st Round Hopeful, Gross-Matos named in Federal Hazing Lawsuit.

MAJBobby

It doesn’t make it right but this stuff happens in almost every locker room.  Also by all accounts, this guy is thought to have great character.  I believe his dad drown when he was kid trying to save him and his brother was killed by lightning.  Would kinda suck to hear if someone who went through that would be a part of this. 

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I mean, you can pretend its not a thing if you like. That it isn’t something dudes have done for literally generations as a prank. Sure, its different in todays social culture, but that wasnt the case as recently as ten years ago.

A lot of effed up things happened until people stood up and made the people doing them stop.  The attitude of “That’s just how things are” is just a way of validating those effed up things.  

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 4

I want my children to play sports, and hazing is the one thing that gives me pause. I was never really hazed myself, but I saw it happen and know that it often gets out of hand. I don't want my kids to have to go through that. Nobody should have to.

It's an unhealthy and often criminal tradition that needs to be eradicated from sports. Not one good thing comes from it. Only bad. And it isn't only sports. It's common in the military and other professions as well. The things that I've heard of happening at the air force academy or other training facilities churns my stomach. This all needs to be stamped out.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Overwhelming odds are that every guy on the Bills staff with any collegiate or professional sports background were themselves hazed, and then hazed people below them afterwards.  Hazing did not become taboo until the last 10 to 15 years.  Before that, hazing was often tradition. I have a hard time believing anyone in the organization would consider it a disqualifying event.  Also, and this is a minor point, but Franklin wasn't named in the suit.  He may have been identified as a participant, but "named" implies that he is a defendant. He is not. 

This stuff is way over the normal hazing type stuff. Weird and questionable stuff happens in locker rooms but this stuff isn’t that. It’s outright sexual assault, and way over the line compared to anything Ive ever see happen at many different levels and locker rooms.  No way around it. If you think it’s normal stuff, you’re wrong.  Really the most disgusting part is that it wasn’t addressed by either teammates or staff.

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

You never hears of teabagging? Sure, it sounds crazy out of context, but ive seen that in multiple places-high school, hockey, the frat.  Also, remember the movie Waiting? The ball sack game? That falls under the heading of hazing now. Its just horseplay. 

Call it whatever you want, but if someone were to try to stick their balls on my face they would quickly find themselves unable to put them to more fruitful ventures in the future.  That crap don't fly any more for good reason.

Some of the worse hazing legitimately traumatizes people, and it's not about them being a "wuss".

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

did I say Franklin was. Nope. I know Penn St fans will come running to the defense here. 

Federal Lawsuit = Taboo I guess. Crimes are Crimes doesn’t matter if they were accepted 10-15 years ago. 

Lawsuits are civil, not criminal actions.  Was the player charged with a crime? 

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I wonder if any of the others said they were going to Joe Paterno them and just sit by and watch.

My sister-in-law works at Penn State. Back in the Sandusky aftermath she worked with the “major donors”, so her work was kinda like working at the beach bar, then winter hit all at once. 

You’d think if ANY school would have learned a lesson.....but you can’t control every college kid, no matter how you try. Tough situation, but needs to be corrected. 

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Heres the thing. The majority of that stems from binge drinking. That is obviously super dangerous. That said, hazing is used to justify prohibiting a much longer list of types of hazing. Things that might look like bullying are a great example. That seems a bit far. 

There's no such thing as a bit far when the risk reward is so absurdly slanted.  Best case, a few people come together and form bonds more quickly under shared stress and do not resent their tormentor.  Worst case, rape, death.

The institution of hazing is indefensible.  The liability presented by hazing is too great for any organization.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, NC Book said:

Meh Christian Wilkins fingered some guys b hole on the field, during the game and still went 13th. I'm jk. I still think he'll be drafted in the 1st round. Hazing isn't as big as a red flag to me as being arrested for drugs, guns or violence. 

agree - it's minor league!