Penn State 1st Round Hopeful, Gross-Matos named in Federal Hazing Lawsuit.

MAJBobby

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28484451/former-nittany-lions-player-files-federal-lawsuit-james-franklin-penn-state-hazing?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

“The suit alleges that Humphries was subject to hazing brought on by Barber, linebacker Micah Parsons, defensive lineman Yetur Gross-Matos and linebacker Jesse Luketa and that the coaching staff was aware of the hazing and did not protect Humphries.”

doesn’t scream “process” and family to me. 

Edited by MAJBobby

2 minutes ago, NC Book said:

Meh Christian Wilkins fingered some guys b hole on the field, during the game and still went 13th. I'm jk. I still think he'll be drafted in the 1st round. Hazing isn't as big as a red flag to me as being arrested for drugs, guns or violence. 

good. 

I guarantee it is a big deal for McD and Beane. 

and Wilkins was never named in a Federal Lawsuit was he?

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

good. 

Overwhelming odds are that every guy on the Bills staff with any collegiate or professional sports background were themselves hazed, and then hazed people below them afterwards.  Hazing did not become taboo until the last 10 to 15 years.  Before that, hazing was often tradition. I have a hard time believing anyone in the organization would consider it a disqualifying event.  Also, and this is a minor point, but Franklin wasn't named in the suit.  He may have been identified as a participant, but "named" implies that he is a defendant. He is not. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

good. 

That Wilkins thing was a joke.  But the footage is pretty funny if you haven't seen it. 

I think McD and Beane believe in second chances and I think if they like Gross-Matos, they will do their due diligence and weigh it out. Maybe kind of similar to the Tyrel Dodson situation.

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Overwhelming odds are that every guy on the Bills staff with any collegiate or professional sports background were themselves hazed, and then hazed people below them afterwards.  Hazing did not become taboo until the last 10 to 15 years.  Before that, hazing was often tradition. I have a hard time believing anyone in the organization would consider it a disqualifying event.  Also, and this is a minor point, but Franklin wasn't named in the suit.  He may have been identified as a participant, but "named" implies that he is a defendant. He is not. 

did I say Franklin was. Nope. I know Penn St fans will come running to the defense here. 

Federal Lawsuit = Taboo I guess. Crimes are Crimes doesn’t matter if they were accepted 10-15 years ago. 

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

did I say Franklin was. Nope. I know Penn St fans will come running to the defense here. 

My bad, switch that. I meant Gross-Matos. Franklin was the one named. I didn't proof my response. 

Also, super random to call my a Penn St. fan. I don't really know what to do with that.  I just think the anti-hazing movement is silly.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NC Book said:

That Wilkins thing was a joke.  But the footage is pretty funny if you haven't seen it. 

I think McD and Beane believe in second chances and I think if they like Gross-Matos, they will do their due diligence and weigh it out. Maybe kind of similar to the Tyrel Dodson situation.

I am sure all teams will do their due diligence, but for Moss those Interviews are now going to be about this incident instead of just football. 

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

My bad, switch that. I meant Gross-Matos. Franklin was the one named. I didn't proof my response. 

Also, super random to call my a Penn St. fan. I don't really know what to do with that.  I just think the anti-hazing movement is silly.  

Was I right?  Are you a Penn St fan?  

Crimes are Crimes. I think Weed Criminalization and Prostitution Criminalization is silly. But they are crimes aren’t they?

and is his name as a participant. Yep that would be he was named in a federal lawsuit. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I am sure all teams will do their due diligence, but for Moss those Interviews are now going to be about this incident instead of just football. 

Was I right?  Are you a Penn St fan?  

Crimes are Crimes. I think Weed Criminalization and Prostitution Criminalization is silly. But they are crimes aren’t they?

No. Syracuse. But I'm a SU Law alum, so that's why. I barely care about college football.  Also, this is a civil suit, not a criminal complaint. Very different.  Lastly, hazing is very different from drugs and prostitution, particularly in the manner in which people/coaches perceive it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

No. Syracuse. But I'm a SU Law alum, so that's why. I barely care about college football.  Also, this is a civil suit, not a criminal complaint. Very different.  Lastly, hazing is very different from drugs and prostitution, particularly in the manner in which people/coaches perceive it. 

And yet STILL illegal.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pennsylvania-hazing/pennsylvania-law-to-make-hazing-punishable-as-felony-idUSKCN1MT1BL

And by the lawsuit He was one of the ring leaders. See even CBS says named in lawsuit just like I did 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/penn-state-coach-james-franklin-players-named-in-federal-lawsuit-citing-accusations-of-hazing/

Edited by MAJBobby

10 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

What's silly about it?

10 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Did you read the specific allegations? Here’s hoping that isn’t standard hazing.  I’d lose my **** if anyone pulled that on my kids.  Also Franklin is a defendant.  It’s in the first paragraph of the story.  The suit was filed against Penn State University, coach James Franklin and former player Damion Barber. 

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And yet the DA said charges would not be filed. I think you are missing the point by focusing on the fact that hazing is illegal.  Its about what the coaching staff's perception of hazing is. If you think they only care that its illegal, you are being super naive. 

"Named" or "identified." Doesn't really matter. I was just trying to educate a little. If you want to misunderstand the significance between the two because a sports writer that doesn't understand the law wrote the same headline, feel free.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Did you read the specific allegations? Here’s hoping that isn’t standard hazing.  I’d lose my **** if anyone pulled that on my kids.  Also Franklin is a defendant.  It’s in the first paragraph of the story.  The suit was filed against Penn State University, coach James Franklin and former player Damion Barber. 

Yeah, I just wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I meant Gross-Matos. 

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

And yet the DA said charges would not be filed. I think you are missing the point by focusing on the fact that hazing is illegal.  Its about what the coaching staff's perception of hazing is. If you think they only care that its illegal, you are being super naive. 

"Named" or "identified." Doesn't really matter. I was just trying to educate a little. If you want to misunderstand the significance between the two because a sports writer that doesn't understand the law wrote the same headline, feel free.  

You mean the PA DA’s office that initially didn’t want to file against Sandusky either?  Color me SHOCKED. SHOCKED I tell you. 

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

What's silly about it?

I've been a part of a frat that was suspended for hazing. The problem is they using the umbrella term "hazing" to encompass any number of activities that universities deem problematic to eliminate behavior that doesn't conform to the new socially just model of modern universities. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I've been a part of a frat that was suspended for hazing. The problem is they using the umbrella term "hazing" to encompass any number of activities that universities deem problematic to eliminate behavior that doesn't conform to the new socially just model of modern universities. 

Humphries claims the alleged bullies would wrestle victims to the ground and shove their genitals in their faces. Other threats allegedly included assailants saying, "I am going to Sandusky you," referencing disgraced former Nittany Lions defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky. 

ummm that doesn’t conform ANYWHERE