Top WR Prospects

Rigotz

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

I think that's an over simplification of him as a wr.  He played all over the formation.  I'm not a scout but from what I read he is exactly what you want from an X.  He is what people wanted Cordelle Patterson to become. 

I dont see them getting Jeudy or Lamb, outside of them every prospect is going to have something.  For me he is too unique not to take a shot with. 

Worst case scenario he is Cordelle Patterson. He can replace Robert's on the roster, also add a big play dimension to the offense and replace McKenzie.  2 roster spots just opened up else where.  

I think Shenault is going to be very good.  I like his after the catch running ability.  Given the opportunity to learn a position he could really flourish.  This time of year I learn height weight speed.  Barring prerequisite protection.  Round 1 I'm looking for the freakiest dudes available.

I posted videos that I’ve watched of Shenault.  I’m not relying on others scouting reports to assess what i see.  I value all around abilities and think blocking is a big deal for WRs, bc you are likely blocking on more plays than you are catching a pass.  A great WR should be really good at both.  I won’t debate that the ability to make the catch and get open are most important attributes, but being a liability in blocking kind of negates the players effectiveness and makes a coach consider pulling him out on runs and signaling to the other team that you might be running or that you won’t typically run in that players direction. You can see his effort blocking on full display in those clips.  Michael Pittman Jr is an excellent blocker like he enjoys it, Tee Higgins and Justin Jefferson are also very willing blockers, as are a lot of other top tier guys in the draft.  Shenault is one of the worst I’ve seen of all the top prospects.

Again I’m basing my opinion off of games I’ve seen, but I also haven’t seen him win on contested catches and make good adjustments to off throws, especially deep ones with any type of consistency.  One thing that drives me crazy is when a WR doesn’t come back to a deep to intermediate ball when it is clear defenders are going to make a play on the ball and is likely to be broken up/intercepted if no adjustment is made.  There are several examples in those games I posted earlier in this thread where he doesn’t adjust to the ball and it is broken up.  

He is best underneath coverage in space and on come back routes.  That’s where his production came from.  Sure he had a couple of plays where he was open down the sideline and the coverage wasn’t there for a big play - that’s nothing to dismiss.  What he does with coverage present is what bothers me.  

He’s built like a big RB with speed and I get the attraction to a player like that, but he is not an outside guy in the NFL if he can’t be more consistent with deep balls and tight coverage. He’s the type of guy that’ll put his hands waist high to make a catch in stride with tight coverage rather than slow down to out maneuver and out position the DB to make sure he gets the catch. 

Edited by Ayjent
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ayjent said:

I posted videos that I’ve watched of Shenault. 

Here we go.  The "he doesn't block, we don't need him" narrative. "He doesn't make contested catches".  Put it up there with Metcalf's 3-cone and Deshaun Watson only throwing 49mph at the combine.  Everyone is an expert.  In the Co-USC video you posted, he won a contested catch in the 2nd or 3rd clip.  A catch in the endzone on a very poor pass.  I don't know where you're getting this from?  Last year it was "Metcalf can't get separation at the NFL level."  A far more damning criticism than one's willingness to block, and it was false.

Laviska Shenault is going to shine in the NFL.  He can catch, he can run after the catch, he has speed.  Stop complicating this. He's an obvious talent.  It's as plain as day.

4 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Imagine thinking this is true ?

Both corners had one close to bad game all season long ??‍♂️

Where are these blocking questions coming from ?   I agree with you if true.   I know my man Tee Higgins can do both.  

It is true.  Tre is very good.  I don't throw the term shut down around to just anyone.  Revis and Sherman are the last shutdown corners this league has seen.  They did it for an extended period of time and QBs avoided their side of the field.  Tre ain't that.  Not yet.

And take the blocking questions with a grain of salt.  Every year it's a new ridiculous claim to NOT draft offensive talent on this board.  It's weird.

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Here we go.  The "he doesn't block, we don't need him" narrative. "He doesn't make contested catches".  Put it up there with Metcalf's 3-cone and Deshaun Watson only throwing 49mph at the combine.  Everyone is an expert.  In the Co-USC video you posted, he won a contested catch in the 2nd or 3rd clip.  A catch in the endzone on a very poor pass.  I don't know where you're getting this from?  Last year it was "Metcalf can't get separation at the NFL level."  A far more damning criticism than one's willingness to block, and it was false.

Laviska Shenault is going to shine in the NFL.  He can catch, he can run after the catch, he has speed.  Stop complicating this. He's an obvious talent.  It's as plain as day.

It is true.  Tre is very good.  I don't throw the term shut down around to just anyone.  Revis and Sherman are the last shutdown corners this league has seen.  They did it for an extended period of time and QBs avoided their side of the field.  Tre ain't that.  Not yet.

And take the blocking questions with a grain of salt.  Every year it's a new ridiculous claim to NOT draft offensive talent on this board.  It's weird.

The contested catch you reference was ruled incomplete. To be honest, though, it was his most impressive effort and nearly a great catch.  No dispute from me on that one, but that effort and ability wasn’t demonstrated anywhere else despite the opportunities in the other games I posted.  He has talent, I’m not disputing that, and I’ve made that clear.  Just dont see him as a successful outside WR for the Bills and I don’t like what he has on tape blocking.  Blocking is not weird btw, it's a big part of the game and can be the difference between a big stop one way and a big play the other.

I fail to see what other people’s evaluations of other players in other years has to do with what I’ve stated other than being a cop out.  I wish you’d try to respect the effort to asses than to dig in on an opinion with little support beyond one play.  Maybe you do have more to support it, and Im open to information and how it could change my view.  I keep watching more games of more players, including Shenault.  Bring on the evidence of how he does what I say he doesn’t do well.  I’ve put it out there and you can take your view and form your own opinion but please watch the games against CSU, Oregon, and Nebraska if you haven’t already and tell me you have no qualms with his skills that I’ve pointed out.

We are all Bills fans no need to try to make it a battle and be dismissive.  I simply am pointing people to seeing what us fans might want to get excited about when the Bills pick and what to hope for.  In the end it’s all fun and a waste of time. 

Edited by Ayjent

10 hours ago, Ayjent said:

But you see the same things in tight coverage he doesn’t win the ball, and his failure to position and adjust to the ball on a couple of throws where coverage was near allowed the pass breakup.  In the NFL that coverage is going to be a lot more consistent and physical, especially outside where the best DBs will be lined up against him. That’s why I’m saying he would thrive in a slot position in the nfl, but not an X.

Thanks for deflating my bubble somewhat, bub!   :doh:

Seriously, I agree with your points on these videos (which is why looking only at highlight compilations is fools gold).   He didn't seem to have natural WR route seperation skills--more like a RB playing wideout.    Very good athlete, but very raw as as a WR--surprisingly slow first step and not much disguise in his route running.  As you mentioned, pretty meh as a blocker.   On the other hand, Colorado's offense was getting manhandled in a lot of those games.  

The player he reminded me of, actually, was Stevie Johnson...

I like what I'm reading about Laviska, but it doesn't make sense to get locked into a single player.  If the draft doesn't fall the way you expect, he might not be available at 22 or Buffalo might be compelled because of value to go in a different direction.  They might be picking a WR later in the draft.  So, If Laviska is gone, who else is there?

On 1/14/2020 at 1:31 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

With every top prospect over 6' we really cant go wrong.

I dont think we'll have a shot at Jeudy or Lamb since we're picking at 22.

I wouldnt mind Shenault at 22, and another WR in the 4th or so. Desperately need to find hungry playmakers to put around Josh.

Laviska is better than Lamb. I think there is a real chance CeeDee is there at 22. Think it comes down to Lamb vs Ruggs vs Jefferson when we pick. 

1 hour ago, Sunshower said:

Laviska is better than Lamb. I think there is a real chance CeeDee is there at 22. Think it comes down to Lamb vs Ruggs vs Jefferson when we pick. 

You're outta your mind if you think Lamb lasts to 22. Jeudy is the only WR that should maybe be taken before Lamb.

• Like (+1) 5

Agree on the Cephus kid from Wisky. 

Also, Lynn Bowden Jr is gonna make somebody a helluva get in the 3rd round or so. I'd love for somebody like Chaisson or Epenesa to fall into our lap in the first. Too many good receivers in this draft to take one in the first imo. Unless Ruggs fell to us. 

1 hour ago, Floydboy12 said:

Agree on the Cephus kid from Wisky. 

Also, Lynn Bowden Jr is gonna make somebody a helluva get in the 3rd round or so. I'd love for somebody like Chaisson or Epenesa to fall into our lap in the first. Too many good receivers in this draft to take one in the first imo. Unless Ruggs fell to us. 

Bowden won’t pass the mc Beane DNA test. He’s a mess.

If K'Lavon Chaisson falls to us and Higgins is gone I think we'll forgo a WR in the first round and see who falls to the second round. Not really sold on Laviska Shenault for our first round pick. Think he has a lot of potential, but he's quite raw and has injury problems that may get worse when he gets to the NFL due to playing style. 

I’m happy with drafting any of Higgins Shenault or Jefferson at 22.

I like Chaisson & Gross-Matos, but I think the edge guys will go very early. Could see a bunch of teams go edge between 5-20.

Detroit they move down to 5 or so.

7. Carolina 

11. NY Jets

13. Indianapolis

14. Tampa Bay

16. Atlanta

18. Miami

Im going to give out my bold proclamation and say Shenault doesn't go in the top 20

He runs a 4.5 at the combine and falls down the board 

He has great YAC skills and is super tough but there are more polished and faster guys . I think he is on the board when the bills pick

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure if he has been mentioned in this long thread, but I like Gabriel Davis from UCF...... big, strong, hands-catcher, great route runner....not the fastest, but fast enough and he’s around 6-4.

I believe he’s expected to go late first round...the kind of weapon this offense needs!!

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bowden won’t pass the mc Beane DNA test. He’s a mess.

Wouldn't hurt him to try to control his emotions better. But he's never been in any kind of disciplinary or legal trouble to my knowledge. I'd rather have a fierce competitor than a diva.