Top WR Prospects

Rigotz

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think with the WR depth vs pass rush depth you take epenesa there unless there is a big gap between shenault and the next WR on their board 

I agree, but there is just so much speculation as what could happen.  I believe what happens in free agency will help shape this pick

Boy I’m shocked at all of the Laviska love. I mean, he’s talented, but he’s about 75% the player that Sammy Watkins was coming out of Clemson...and the way people rage hate Watkins ‘round these parts, I’m astonished that Shenault is so highly regarded.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Boy I’m shocked at all of the Laviska love. I mean, he’s talented, but he’s about 75% the player that Sammy Watkins was coming out of Clemson...and the way people rage hate Watkins ‘round these parts, I’m astonished that Shenault is so highly regarded.

Bandit, what is your opinion on CeeDee Lamb?

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Bandit, what is your opinion on CeeDee Lamb?

I like Lamb a lot. From my initial work ups he’s my WR3 behind Ruggs (2) and Jeudy (1). I’d take any of those 3 in round 1 without hesitation.

After that I’ve got a group of Higgins/Reagor/Aiyuk as my next tier. There’s a 50% chance that all are on the clock when we pick as far as I’m guessing.

We’ll see how things go come March when I go back to school on these guys for real.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I like Lamb a lot. From my initial work ups he’s my WR3 behind Ruggs (2) and Jeudy (1). I’d take any of those 3 in round 1 without hesitation.

After that I’ve got a group of Higgins/Reagor/Aiyuk as my next tier. There’s a 50% chance that all are on the clock when we pick as far as I’m guessing.

We’ll see how things go come March when I go back to school on these guys for real.

I see DeAndre Hopkins when I watch him.

11 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm always a little weary of this Big12 WRs like Lamb - they are allergic to playing pass defense in that conference.  Doesn't mean he's not good, but he's not playing against anything like he'll see in the NFL in terms of talent or scheme. 

I've watched a lot on Higgins and at first I didn't like what I saw just from build and route running, then I saw a big lanky guy that wasn't afraid of contact or blocking and actually could fight off defenders after the catch, but that was just watching highlights.  Then I went and watched about 5 games with every offensive snap, and soured on him being a No. 1.  He's a good player but he is not going to be a legit No. 1 option on an NFL team - he isn't really even that on his college team.  That type of player will be available later in the draft IMO with such a deep and talented class of WRs.  I know Pittman Jr projects to be a bit slower and is less explosive in space, but he is a physical specimen that has great adjustment to the ball, is a strong runner after the catch, makes a lot of contested catches positioning himself in the best spot to win the ball, is a great blocker, and plays hard on every snap.  He isn't the best at getting separation and I think that and his speed are why he is projected as a day 2 guy, but if I had to choose between Higgins and Pittman Jr it would be Pittman Jr all day.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

I'm always a little weary of this Big12 WRs like Lamb - they are allergic to playing pass defense in that conference.  Doesn't mean he's not good, but he's not playing against anything like he'll see in the NFL in terms of talent or scheme. 

I've watched a lot on Higgins and at first I didn't like what I saw just from build and route running, then I saw a big lanky guy that wasn't afraid of contact or blocking and actually could fight off defenders after the catch, but that was just watching highlights.  Then I went and watched about 5 games with every offensive snap, and soured on him being a No. 1.  He's a good player but he is not going to be a legit No. 1 option on an NFL team - he isn't really even that on his college team.  That type of player will be available later in the draft IMO with such a deep and talented class of WRs.  I know Pittman Jr projects to be a bit slower and is less explosive in space, but he is a physical specimen that has great adjustment to the ball, is a strong runner after the catch, makes a lot of contested catches positioning himself in the best spot to win the ball, is a great blocker, and plays hard on every snap.  He isn't the best at getting separation and I think that and his speed are why he is projected as a day 2 guy, but if I had to choose between Higgins and Pittman Jr it would be Pittman Jr all day.

Yeah, I have Pittman on my list for my next round since I didn’t get to him for more than a cursory look.

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Pittman

I think for a team like the Bills that wants to be tougher than its opponents and with a need for a guy that adjusts very well to targets that might not be right on the money, and blocks with aggression and great effectiveness in screen and run game he is a really good fit.

Just now, Ayjent said:

I think for a team like the Bills that wants to be tougher than its opponents and with a need for a guy that adjusts very well to targets that might not be right on the money, and blocks with aggression and great effectiveness in screen and run game he is a really good fit.

Agree. It may just be the USC connection but I’d love to have the next Robert Woods on the Bills. Pittman catches everything and has an excellent family NFL blood line...which more times than not seems to be a recipe for discipline and success, something McBeane are looking for.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Yeah, I have Pittman on my list for my next round since I didn’t get to him for more than a cursory look.

He's not a 1st rounder unless he blows the doors off the combine.  Probably a late 2nd to early 3rd with all of the talent at the position in this draft. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Agree. It may just be the USC connection but I’d love to have the next Robert Woods on the Bills. Pittman catches everything and has an excellent family NFL blood line...which more times than not seems to be a recipe for discipline and success, something McBeane are looking for.

His father loved contact too and was a big part of the Bucs superbowl run -  he plays like his father did but at WR.

I'm sure I'll be able to talk myself into it if Shenault is ultimately the guy, but he doesn't look like a Round 1 prospect to me. I would tend to agree with Reid's scouting report of him at TDN, but I apparently just don't value what he sees the way he does.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/laviska-shenault-jr/NLQE1jFVo5

• He could be an AJ Brown type threat after the catch. I was similarly low on Brown last year and looks like I was probably wrong about him, so maybe I'm wrong about Shenault as well.
  • Love the fact that he has experience lining up all over the place
  • Seems to have good hands
  • I think he has a very long ways to go if he's going to be our X receiver; right now, his only move to beat press coverage is to try to just sprint past them on the outside and I don't think he has the speed to get away with that in the NFL.
  • His route running is pretty poor; his out routes drift up the field, he doesn't really sell his cuts, just isn't very good at beating his man when he doesn't have the speed advantage. It's possible that this is a result of never having one specific role in the offense, but it's a concern nonetheless (and a similar concern that I had with AJ Brown, which ultimately didn't hold him back as a rookie).
  • He doesn't want to block anybody/doesn't really show much effort when the play is designed to go to someone else.

Of the guys I've watched a decent amount of, I currently like (in this order):

1. Henry Ruggs
  2. CeeDee Lamb
  3. Jerry Jeudy
  4. Jalen Reagor
  5. Michael Pittman

I'm just lukewarm on Higgins and Jefferson at the moment and pretty skeptical of Shenault. And after those top-tier prospects, I like the little I've seen of Denzel Mims, Bryan Edwards, Jauan Jennings, and Van Jefferson.

Edit: And re: the Shenault-Sammy Watkins comparison, the similarities basically end for me at the various ways they were involved in their offense. I don't think Shenault has Sammy's speed, ability to beat press coverage, or route running when he was coming out of Clemson.

Edited by DCOrange

3 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

I want Laviska Shenault at #22, then would target Michael Pittman or Chase Claypool in the later rounds. Might be willing to trade up into the late 3rd to land Claypool (to pair with Shenault, John Brown, and Beasley) along with an edge rusher/RB/CB with our other two Day 1-2 picks. 

Shenault looks like a Split End/Slot guy to me, a very big one, but that seems to be where he would be most effective because he wasn't a very good receiver on deep routes or on contested catches, and he doesn't adjust well to the deep ball to position himself.  He's best working underneath and in space.  If you are looking to take snaps away from Beasley and upgrade the slot - I think he's the guy.  If they try playing him outside - he will be a disappointment, especially if Josh doesn't improve his accuracy on deep throws.  I look at it from how does he fit on the Bills and with their QB and I just don't see a good fit unless they want to move on from Beasley.

54 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I'm sure I'll be able to talk myself into it if Shenault is ultimately the guy, but he doesn't look like a Round 1 prospect to me. I would tend to agree with Reid's scouting report of him at TDN, but I apparently just don't value what he sees the way he does.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/laviska-shenault-jr/NLQE1jFVo5

• He could be an AJ Brown type threat after the catch. I was similarly low on Brown last year and looks like I was probably wrong about him, so maybe I'm wrong about Shenault as well.
  • Love the fact that he has experience lining up all over the place
  • Seems to have good hands
  • I think he has a very long ways to go if he's going to be our X receiver; right now, his only move to beat press coverage is to try to just sprint past them on the outside and I don't think he has the speed to get away with that in the NFL.
  • His route running is pretty poor; his out routes drift up the field, he doesn't really sell his cuts, just isn't very good at beating his man when he doesn't have the speed advantage. It's possible that this is a result of never having one specific role in the offense, but it's a concern nonetheless (and a similar concern that I had with AJ Brown, which ultimately didn't hold him back as a rookie).
  • He doesn't want to block anybody/doesn't really show much effort when the play is designed to go to someone else.

Of the guys I've watched a decent amount of, I currently like (in this order):

1. Henry Ruggs
  2. CeeDee Lamb
  3. Jerry Jeudy
  4. Jalen Reagor
  5. Michael Pittman

I'm just lukewarm on Higgins and Jefferson at the moment and pretty skeptical of Shenault. And after those top-tier prospects, I like the little I've seen of Denzel Mims, Bryan Edwards, Jauan Jennings, and Van Jefferson.

Edit: And re: the Shenault-Sammy Watkins comparison, the similarities basically end for me at the various ways they were involved in their offense. I don't think Shenault has Sammy's speed, ability to beat press coverage, or route running when he was coming out of Clemson.

From what I’ve seen of Reagor he has amazing speed and really high points the ball well- seems like an exciting player...

• Like (+1) 1