Bills DB coach John Butler reportedly in consideration for position with Browns

YoloinOhio

38 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Butler is a McDermott guy. I'm pretty sure he was a top candidate to be McDermott's DC. 

He’s a McDermott guy in that they went to HS together. Butler has never coached with him prior to the Bills (he never coached with Wade Phillips either, so not sure where Fox is getting that they are very close, not disputing it but just wondering where it comes from)

Edited by YoloinOhio

36 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Butler is a McDermott guy. I'm pretty sure he was a top candidate to be McDermott's DC. 

This! McDermott hand picked the guy to be his DB coach. This is the guy he wanted when he first got the job here but couldn't get him. But just in case I'm keeping Kris Richard on speed dial. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I heard different.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d815667b9/article/changing-coaching-staffs-isnt-as-easy-for-teams-as-it-once-was

all coaches are assistants and considered lateral moves EXCEPT the HC position. So everyone on Staff can be blocked from interviews for other staff. 

they cannot be blocked for HC. 

same in FO only position that cannot be blocked is GM. 

that is the issue when trying to put your staff together late. Time to look at those that are unemployed Browns. Every team should block your requests at this point. 

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This! McDermott hand picked the guy to be his DB coach. This is the guy he wanted when he first got the job here but couldn't get him. But just in case I'm keeping Kris Richard on speed dial. 

Wilks (Browns old DC) was also The DB coach in Carolina when McD was there 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d815667b9/article/changing-coaching-staffs-isnt-as-easy-for-teams-as-it-once-was%3fnetworkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=team%3Dcin%3bteam%3Dbal%3bteam%3Dwas%3bteam%3Dmin%3bconf%3Dafc%3bconf%3Dnfc%3bdvsn%3Dacn%3bdvsn%3Dnce%3bdvsn%3Dncn%3bplyr%3Dray_lewis%3bplyr%3Djake_delhomme%3bplyr%3Dleon_hall&sr=amp

all coaches are assistants and considered lateral moves EXCEPT the HC position. So everyone on Staff can be blocked from interviews for other staff. 

There is still a possibility that the Browns keep Wilks. There is some buzz that he could stay. Wilks was Stefanski’s choice as DC when he interviewed last year and they are trying not to change too much. They are keeping the ST coordinator who Stefanski worked with in Minnesota. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

There is still a possibility that the Browns keep Wilks. There is some buzz that he could stay.They are trying not to change too much. They are keeping the ST coordinator who Stefanski worked with in Minnesota. 

That is smart. But if Wade Phillips is the hire at DC that was talked about last night (not sure if official) they really should get whoever wade wants as long as they can and not blocked by other teams 

19 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d815667b9/article/changing-coaching-staffs-isnt-as-easy-for-teams-as-it-once-was%3fnetworkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=team%3Dcin%3bteam%3Dbal%3bteam%3Dwas%3bteam%3Dmin%3bconf%3Dafc%3bconf%3Dnfc%3bdvsn%3Dacn%3bdvsn%3Dnce%3bdvsn%3Dncn%3bplyr%3Dray_lewis%3bplyr%3Djake_delhomme%3bplyr%3Dleon_hall&sr=amp

that is the issue when trying to put your staff together late. Time to look at those that are unemployed Browns. Every team should block your requests at this point. 

I wish you’d use the actual link and not that google abomination.  Any chance you could edit?

The point is “assistant HC” title is NOT the HC position.

So even if they offer him the title “assistant HC” he can be blocked if he’s under contract.

I would not let John Butler to the Browns.  Now if they’re making him DC, then I could see McDermott “doing the right thing” to let his guy get a jump.

But a lateral move with “assistant HC” tacked on, that’s a “No” for me.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I wish you’d use the actual link and not that google abomination.  Any chance you could edit?

The point is “assistant HC” title is NOT the HC position.

So even if they offer him the title “assistant HC” he can be blocked if he’s under contract.

I would not let John Butler to the Browns.  Now if they’re making him DC, then I could see McDermott “doing the right thing” to let his guy get a jump.

But a lateral move with “assistant HC” tacked on, that’s a “No” for me.

Fixed

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Most teams will let their assistant coaches explore other coaching positions in the NFL (as well as college), for one very good reason.  If, as an employer, they are real stinkwads about letting coaches out of contracts, the best candidates to fill their vacancies may hesitant to take a job, knowing they could be denied a chance to land a dream job later.

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Is his contract up? Not sure what he would do that would be considered a promotion if Phillips is the DC

Who is this Dustin Fox guy anyway?  Or maybe because our DL coach did a lateral move to college they figure it’s open season on any of the Bills assistants, despite what McDermott said about wanting to keep as much of the team (specifically mentioned coaches) intact as possible?

I think the DL coach was a special case.  We had problems on DL at times, and maybe Frazier or McD felt they had to mix it in to the DL room more than they wished.  Maybe McD just wanted his buddy from Carolina on his team, and told the guy “hey, if you’ve got an opportunity elsewhere, take it, nudge nudge catch my drift?”

If the guy wants to go, does it make sense to force him to stay?  Does it create bad feelings?

Awkward work environment?

I know..   it’s a job, it pays a ton of money, just shut up and get to work.  Human nature sometimes is stronger than logic, or money. 

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Who is this Dustin Fox guy anyway?  Or maybe because our DL coach did a lateral move to college they figure it’s open season on any of the Bills assistants, despite what McDermott said about wanting to keep as much of the team (specifically mentioned coaches) intact as possible?

I think the DL coach was a special case.  We had problems on DL at times, and maybe Frazier or McD felt they had to mix it in to the DL room more than they wished.  Maybe McD just wanted his buddy from Carolina on his team, and told the guy “hey, if you’ve got an opportunity elsewhere, take it, nudge nudge catch my drift?”

Dustin Fox actually used to play for the Bills. One of the last white NFL CBs.

he does a radio show in Cleveland and is a sideline reporter for the Browns.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Most teams will let their assistant coaches explore other coaching positions in the NFL (as well as college), for one very good reason.  If, as an employer, they are real stinkwads about letting coaches out of contracts, the best candidates to fill their vacancies may hesitant to take a job, knowing they could be denied a chance to land a dream job later.

Do you consider a pure lateral move to be a DB coach a dream job??  I think you're making more out of a potential block than there is. 

Daboll interviewed for HC and most coaches would understand if the Bills deny this purely lateral interview.

If Bills denied a position coach the chance to be a coordinator then you might have a good point. 

Quite frankly, I would think less of the FO if they allowed an excellent position coach the opportunity to interview for a pure lateral move.

The real question I wish someone would answer is if the Browns are allowed to hire an assistant coach from a team that is owned by someone who also owns an NHL franchise?  I seem to recall an obscure ruling on this topic.

I think it was U.S. vs. Fishbein.

Edited by eball