Bills DB coach John Butler reportedly in consideration for position with Browns

YoloinOhio

Hoping the Bills deny it (assuming he’s still under contract). It would be considered a lateral move, I believe even if he’s being named DC (though I’m sure the Bills wouldn’t prohibit him from taking a play calling job). And I’m pretty sure Pegula pays more to his position coaches than the browns owners do (Bills are supposedly among the highest paying teams). 

Not much reason to let him leave if he’s still under contract. He’s a very good DB coach. 

I don't really get why he’d want to leave for Cleveland, where the coaching staffs get about 2 years on average (if they’re lucky...). 

35 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Hoping the Bills deny it (assuming he’s still under contract). It would be considered a lateral move, I believe even if he’s being named DC (though I’m sure the Bills wouldn’t prohibit him from taking a play calling job). And I’m pretty sure Pegula pays more to his position coaches than the browns owners do (Bills are supposedly among the highest paying teams). 

Not much reason to let him leave if he’s still under contract. He’s a very good DB coach. 

I don't really get why he’d want to leave for Cleveland, where the coaching staffs get about 2 years on average (if they’re lucky...). 

They can't stop him from interviewing if the positions title includes  Assistant HC or  Assistant DC in addition to being the DB coach.  

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

They can't stop him from interviewing if the positions title includes  Assistant HC or  Assistant DC in addition to being the DB coach.  

They can. Only HC is considered a promotion. All other positions are considered lateral by NFL.

they likely wouldn’t choose to block it though if it was an actual DC position - but it wouldn’t be if Wade is going there 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Whats with Cleveland trying to poach everything from front office to coordinator and now positional coaches from us. 

Im really starting to hate them. 

Because the guy running their franchise now wanted McDermott and company back before we hired him. He's got lists of people he wants, many came to the Bills with McDermott.

5 hours ago, NoSaint said:

DC isn’t a promotion either. It’s head coach or everyone else. Only two levels at play.

I know - but the Bills may be open to letting him interview for the DC since it is technically a promotion from DB coach, even if they aren’t required to let him per nfl parameters on promotions 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Because the guy running their franchise now wanted McDermott and company back before we hired him. He's got lists of people he wants, many came to the Bills with McDermott.

Butler didn’t actually come to the Bills with McDermott. He came over from Houston in 2018 after he was fired. They hadn’t worked together previously. He and McDermott went to HS together 

Edited by YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I know - but the Bills may be open to letting him interview for the DC since it is technically a promotion from DB coach, even if they aren’t required to let him per nfl parameters on promotions 

Butler didn’t actually come to the Bills with McDermott. He came over from Houston in 2018 after he was fired. They hadn’t worked together previously. He and McDermott went to HS together 

Butler is a McDermott guy. I'm pretty sure he was a top candidate to be McDermott's DC. 

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Is his contract up? Not sure what he would do that would be considered a promotion if Phillips is the DC

block him. All are assistant coaches. 

6 hours ago, ganesh said:

yes they can. We go through this every year. Only two that can’t be denied are HC and GM

• Like (+1) 2