Article comparing Josh Allen to other 1st round QBs

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Making the playoffs as 6th or 5th seed after a 17 year drought was awesome. That said, we don't want to become the Cincinnati "One 'n Done" Bengals.

What we have after 2 years is a good start, nothing more.  We have a Championship Caliber D. Don't waste it.

Now it's time for Josh to kick it up a notch. If he can't this year start looking for someone that can.

Maybe on your video game console but in reality this is McBeans team and they make the decisions around here...…. thankfully :)

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Maybe on your video game console but in reality this is McBeans team and they make the decisions around here...…. thankfully :)

I realize it's not my team and I don't do video games.

But I am hoping the "McBeans" have more of a sense of urgency than a lot of TBDers who seem willing to wait around while the team makes incremental improvements until someday we might win a playoff game.  We don't have forever and with the quality vets we have that the "McBeans" vow to keep, the price of football will be going up starting next year with the Tredavian Nightmare followed shortly by THE MAN (Jo$h) himself and others.

NOW is the time to make a serious run at it IMHO.   Not 2021 or 2022.  NOW.  You're never gonna have everything.  The drought's over.  Time to turn the playoff game drought off too.  Win a SB.

Go BILLS !!

Edited by reddogblitz

On 1/14/2020 at 8:23 AM, entropyrules said:

respectfully disagree..they certainly won't cut him until his contract is up but if he regresses or stays the same next year (assuming he has a better Cast of O characters) they will be on the hunt in the 2021 draft for a QB. it may be a 3rd round flyer but they are not going into his 4th year after no progress wishing and hoping he makes some miraculous leap without at least prepping for his departure at the end of the contract. Now having said that if they become like that Ravens team with Dilfer where the D dominated and the QB was just OK then you are probably right they'll go into 2023 where then they will draft a QB. 

Serious question:  What do you believe makes him "Make" or "Break" - and do you think that is different from most fans, and more important, from the Bills Execs and Coaches?

There are so many factors to determine success it would make my head hurt.  Wins is one but as we've seen repeatedly this season, stats don't necessarily translate into team success.  

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I've wondered that about Spain.  Given our poor success running up the middle - who is that on?  Morse?  Spain?  A combination?

So of course one of the puzzles is that Singletary, in his 13 carries, gained 4.5 ypc.  Now that isn't fantastic, but it's not chopped liver, either.

We had several series where Singletary gained effective yards then was stuffed and we then ran 6 more plays without once trying to get back to him.  Do they have him on a pitch count or something?

Seems other teams get stuffed on the run 1-2 plays but they keep at it.  We only seem to do that if it's Gore and his routine 1 ypc.

I personally think Spain is a major culprit and should be replaced. That's my opinion. He's ALWAYS graded out pretty well as a pass blocker and not so good as a run blocker. Same goes for Morse, but he ain't going anywhere and there are intricacies at the C position that make him valuable. I'll just have to assume he's good at blocking assignments and all that jazz. The problem is that when you look at the line in totality, there really isn't a single "mauler." I think Dawkins is solid, especially for an LT, but even he's not a mauler. I like Feliciano, but again; not a mauler. I assume Ford will kick inside to RG or LG, but I'm not personally sold on him even at guard. Not a popular take, but I think he might be JAG. He did 18 reps of 225 at the combine and that has always stuck with me. At his size, that's just not right. Hopefully he can build strength over time, but he's not a tackle.

When I'm watching the Titans, I'm extremely impressed by Henry, but also focus on Saffold who quite frequently manhandles the defender. That type of run blocker doesn't exist on our squad.

So you've got Dawkins and Morse who are set at their positions. Beyond that, I just don't know. I'm OK with having a JAG at one of the guard spots, but I would love to see them upgrade the OTHER guard spot as well as RT. A tall task considering they also need weapons, but they've gotta find a combination that generates some push.

I don't know about pitch count with Singletary, but I've seen him look a bit gassed after a big gain. Of course that's when Daboll goes right back to the well for no gain. I've never been a fan of following up an energy expending run by going back to the same guy, but that's a whole different convo. We DO need another back; someone who can get you 4-5 tough yards. Basically, what Gore was SUPPOSED to be.

So there's a whole lot of things I'd like to see done regarding the run game, but I assume they're going to prioritize weapons. We'll see if they can start hitting on offensive players because they certainly need to.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Would love to see the Bills pursue Drake if Arizona let’s him walk....although I can’t see that happening.

Yeah. I really don't understand the deal with Kenyon Drake. All the guy does is ball and he gets bounced from Miami for nothing. I'd be all for that.

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I personally think Spain is a major culprit and should be replaced. That's my opinion. He's ALWAYS graded out pretty well as a pass blocker and not so good as a run blocker. Same goes for Morse, but he ain't going anywhere and there are intricacies at the C position that make him valuable. I'll just have to assume he's good at blocking assignments and all that jazz. The problem is that when you look at the line in totality, there really isn't a single "mauler." I think Dawkins is solid, especially for an LT, but even he's not a mauler. I like Feliciano, but again; not a mauler. I assume Ford will kick inside to RG or LG, but I'm not personally sold on him even at guard. Not a popular take, but I think he might be JAG. He did 18 reps of 225 at the combine and that has always stuck with me. At his size, that's just not right. Hopefully he can build strength over time, but he's not a tackle.

When I'm watching the Titans, I'm extremely impressed by Henry, but also focus on Saffold who quite frequently manhandles the defender. That type of run blocker doesn't exist on our squad.

So you've got Dawkins and Morse who are set at their positions. Beyond that, I just don't know. I'm OK with having a JAG at one of the guard spots, but I would love to see them upgrade the OTHER guard spot as well as RT. A tall task considering they also need weapons, but they've gotta find a combination that generates some push.

I don't know about pitch count with Singletary, but I've seen him look a bit gassed after a big gain. Of course that's when Daboll goes right back to the well for no gain. I've never been a fan of following up an energy expending run by going back to the same guy, but that's a whole different convo. We DO need another back; someone who can get you 4-5 tough yards. Basically, what Gore was SUPPOSED to be.

So there's a whole lot of things I'd like to see done regarding the run game, but I assume they're going to prioritize weapons. We'll see if they can start hitting on offensive players because they certainly need to.

We need to do something on OL.  We're not where we were in 2018 where I watched run plays and begged for help "what the ***** was that supposed to be?" but there are a scary number of plays where our OL is left "dazed and confused" (and porous) and where the run blocking just doesn't work.

I've read people saying that Spain gets help from Dawkins and Morse at the start of many pass blocking plays, he's not quick enough initially.

Allen (and he's not at all unique in this) is a much better and more accurate QB when he gets that extra fraction of a second to process, set, and throw.  It's probably more important to get that for him than to get him a star WR he doesn't have time to hit.

58 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Would love to see the Bills pursue Drake if Arizona let’s him walk....although I can’t see that happening.

Yeah, I don't think Zona lets him go

• Thank you (+1) 1