Article comparing Josh Allen to other 1st round QBs

Pretty much sums it up.

Go Bills!!!

50 minutes ago, entropyrules said:

Year 3 will be the deal maker or breaker with Allen...Darn I hope he hope he makes an improvement as at my age I only have one or two more cycles of waiting for the Bills to find a QB...overall great article summing up his progression

I some how doubt year 3 is a make or break year you don't draft a QB at 7th overall and toss him to the curb that easily.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I some how doubt year 3 is a make or break year you don't draft a QB at 7th overall and toss him to the curb that easily.

respectfully disagree..they certainly won't cut him until his contract is up but if he regresses or stays the same next year (assuming he has a better Cast of O characters) they will be on the hunt in the 2021 draft for a QB. it may be a 3rd round flyer but they are not going into his 4th year after no progress wishing and hoping he makes some miraculous leap without at least prepping for his departure at the end of the contract. Now having said that if they become like that Ravens team with Dilfer where the D dominated and the QB was just OK then you are probably right they'll go into 2023 where then they will draft a QB. 

Edited by entropyrules
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Corkscrew, good article.  My guess is they will give him his four years of his rookie contract, and even a 5th year option to make absolutely sure he is our franchise QB.

I think Beane and McDermott have been pretty clear “ride or die with Josh”.   Now if he comes in next season and regresses instead of moving forward, that could change.

What would shock me is if we sign a borderline-starter FA QB or draft one.  That would be “yeah, your lips are moving but we can’t believe what you say” territory.

• Like (+1) 2

It will be interesting to see where Allen takes his level of play next season.   The issue with accuracy has to improve though.  Watching the College National Championship game last night you could see the difference between Trevor Lawrence and Joe Burrow.  It made me think of the difference between Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes.  Burrow was so deadly accurate and Lawrence was not.  It played out as the difference in the score.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Really surprising to see Sam Bradford and Matt Ryan with lower completion percentages than Allen.  Didn't Bradford sent an NFL record for completion percentage in a season a few years ago because he was throwing checkdown passes all the time?

4 hours ago, entropyrules said:

Year 3 will be the deal maker or breaker with Allen...Darn I hope he hope he makes an improvement as at my age I only have one or two more cycles of waiting for the Bills to find a QB...overall great article summing up his progression

I would like to remind everyone that Ben Ro was worse in his 3rd year than in his first two seasons. After that he had a really good 4th year and then a down 5th. After that he sort of leveled out. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/benroethlisberger/2506109/careerstats

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Beane and McDermott have been pretty clear “ride or die with Josh”.   Now if he comes in next season and regresses instead of moving forward, that could change.

What would shock me is if we sign a borderline-starter FA QB or draft one.  That would be “yeah, your lips are moving but we can’t believe what you say” territory.

I agree but I think it would be unwise not to address the backup QB position. I know it didn't happen this year, but Allen takes a lot of hits and the backup QB is likely to play a few games next season. Barkley seems like a nice guy and all but he is pretty low end in terms of ability and starting experience.

• Like (+1) 1

Luckily, the Bills have put a great structure around Allen (coaching, upgraded talent, system, continuity).  So, they're giving him and themselves every chance to be successful and to get a true read on Josh (taking away as many bad variables as possible).

I'm sure that Beane and McDermott have a very good sense for the level of qb play needed to win a championship.  I would guess that they are starting to get a sense for whether or not Josh can get there, and that the end of next year will be the decision-point.

I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't need a year four to decide whether or not they can win a championship with Allen.

I wouldn't be shocked if they drafted a QB, mid-rounds.

27 minutes ago, All I Need is Hope said:

Luckily, the Bills have put a great structure around Allen (coaching, upgraded talent, system, continuity).  So, they're giving him and themselves every chance to be successful and to get a true read on Josh (taking away as many bad variables as possible).

I'm sure that Beane and McDermott have a very good sense for the level of qb play needed to win a championship.  I would guess that they are starting to get a sense for whether or not Josh can get there, and that the end of next year will be the decision-point.

I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't need a year four to decide whether or not they can win a championship with Allen.

I wouldn't be shocked if they drafted a QB, mid-rounds.

This year?  It would absolutely be a shock given some of the stuff Beane has said on his radio tour.  I think it was One Bills Live, was pretty much asked and said “that’s what you do when you’re not sure you’ve got your guy” or words to that effect.