Berry & Wade to Cle per D. Fox - Bliis DB coach John Butler under CLE staff consideration

Reed83HOF

So Cleveland is going to the 3-4?  AGAIN. 
Baffles me. Who would want to drop Myles garret into coverage? They switch defenses like refs blow game day calls. Constantly. 
I know wade can mix things up but they really don’t have the personnel to go back to it again. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, MJS said:

Has Wade been slipping as a defensive coordinator? He used to be the cream of the crop. Why do teams keep letting him go?

If I understood correctly LA wanted to go back to the 4-3 defense to get Donald more involved as the DT. And they apparently aren’t sold on Clay Mathews and donte Fowler rushing from the outside. 

2 hours ago, WildBills said:

Why would the DB coach of the Bills wants to go to the tire fire that is the Cleveland Browns?

The only thing I can think is he gets a title promotion and then Butler sees a path to something more. Maybe the hire last week of the Dline coach and former Panthers DC has him questioning if he will get the DC in Buffalo when Leslie moves on.

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Baffles me. Who would want to drop Myles garret into coverage? They switch defenses like refs blow game day calls. Constantly. 
I know wade can mix things up but they really don’t have the personnel to go back to it again. 

Wade doesn’t run a 3-4 like you're thinking of. 

2 hours ago, WildBills said:

Why would the DB coach of the Bills wants to go to the tire fire that is the Cleveland Browns?

Why did the D-Line coach leave an NFL job with the Bills to go back to Virginia Tech for the same position?

5 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Wade can coach a 43 defense really well if he chooses too.  

Phillips runs a 4-3 under scheme, which would be a slight change for the Browns, but what has made Phillips so successful is his ability to adjust his scheme to his talent.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/reports-cleveland-browns-to-hire-wade-phillips-andrew-berry

Sounds ok if true.  The Rex Ryan 3-4 still leaves me in shock of that system.

Browns to interview Paton as GM

The Browns have their new head coach in place, and it appears he might be bringing someone from Minnesota along with him.

Vikings assistant general manager George Paton is expected to interview for Cleveland's vacant general manager job, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source informed of the situation. This development is significant, Rapoport added, because Paton hasn't always accepted interview requests, but is close with Kevin Stefanski, whom the Browns announced Monday as its new head coach.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001096558/article/browns-announce-stefanski-to-interview-paton-as-gm

Similar to McD wanting to bring Beane with him , that works

Edited by ALF
  • Like (+1) 2

Surrounding a young, first time head coach with older guys who have done it for a long time is the right move. If Stefanski makes it, they will move on from Wade when they don't need him anymore. Essentially, Stefanski does not have to worry about teh defensive side of teh ball.