What position does Beane prioritize in FA?

Dkollidas

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

I think the easiest way for us to make a huge jump next year is to let Spain walk due to kicking Ford inside, and then make a run at Conklin for RT.   That right there, is a very good OL.

Then on defense, let Phillips walk, re-sign Lawson and Johnson, then target Ngakoue.

Higgins in the 1st.  Dobbins in the 2nd.  Linebacker in the 3rd. 

It all seems so simple on paper...

That’s pretty good and I almost forgot about JK getting him late in the 2nd would be ideal 

4 hours ago, Putin said:

You don't think adding someone like Mike Evens would give us a TRUE # 1 WR that IMO we desperately need AND would solidify our WR core ?

Mike Evans would have been the one person we need to catch that pass in the EZ to Duke or the jump ball to the FB and bingo, we win!

Mike Evans is EXACTLY the kind of guy we need to help Josh be all he can be.

4 hours ago, Putin said:

I understand that we need to spread the wealth , but I think offense must be our First priority we will not get far with scoring 16 points a game no matter how good our defense is , and BTW didn't we have a # 3 ranked defense this year ? How about our offense ? 

24th in yards and 23rd in points.

4 hours ago, All I Need is Hope said:

For example, the 49ers added Dee Ford and Emanuel Sanders... I could see something like this happening; then continue to draft well, add a few tier 2 free agents (OL/DB) keep and develop our own.

49ers are only in the third year their rebuild too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/13/2020 at 10:57 PM, Chemical said:

Thought I remember Beane saying he likes to use free agency to fill starter needs and then draft BPA. Upgrade a Pass rusher, RT, WR and CB across from Tre.

There are a lot of good veteran corners that might hit free agency. Same for pass rushers. You listed a bunch above. One that I thought of today is Emanuel Ogbah. Would probably come cheaper that Ngakoue, he’s bigger at 275, and put up 5.5 sacks in 10 games mostly as a backup. 

CB for sure.  Wallace is so weak!

On 1/14/2020 at 8:10 AM, Niagara Dude said:

Bills should cut some of their own guys like Kroft/Murphy/Lee Smith/ Spencer Long

i'm okay with cutting croft,murphy smith was a penalty machine but he was a hell of a blocker. long i don't know how much he is being paid but he seemed to play well when he had to. 

On 1/14/2020 at 9:11 AM, Putin said:

You don't think adding someone like Mike Evens would give us a TRUE # 1 WR that IMO we desperately need AND would solidify our WR core ?

And the thing is we could have had Mike Evans in 2013 in the draft, but instead chose Sammy Watkins.

22 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

First off, never believe anything Beane says.  He's posturing always.  He tells the truth as often as a politician.

A good GM should never be honest to the media. Keep their plans in house always. 

• Like (+1) 1

I just don't think we'll make a lot of big splashes this year.

With all the CAP space we have, I think we're going to largely use it to resign our young guys like Tre and Milano.

I'm sure we'll go out and get a FA WR, DE, OL, and CB, but I don't envision the top tier guys like Green, Cooper, or Yannick.

It'll be an interesting offseason, but when Beane and McDermott talk about liking the guys they have in the room, I think they mean it.  Last offseason was the overhaul on offense.  From here on out it's a player here and there, but mostly keeping our homegrown talent.

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Think you'll see a couple big splashes if you count a guy like Yannick and Green as a big splash.

Just can't justify not making a big move offensively, IMO. Need playmakers, and can't rely only on rookies to get there.

I left out Dawkins.

Tre, Milano and Dawkins.  If Beane is smart he resigns 2 of those 3 guys.  Next year comes Josh and Edmunds.

I really think we're getting our playmaking WR in the draft in round 1 or 2.  We'll probably get one of those lower tier FAs like Funchess also who will ultimately be fighting for a roster spot.

I think they'll view the 2019 season as a season of young guys learning the game.  Singletary obviously becomes our workhorse next year.  Knox said himself in his exit interviews he needs to work on his drops--and I legitimately think Knox is going to be a BEAST for us starting next year.  Josh is going to be working this offseason with his chemistry with all the WRs we already have--Beasley and Brown are good and will continue to be on the field consistently.

So, we need another WR and another RB as far as weapons go.  I think we're pretty good at TE.

I just think Beane and McDermott prefer building through the draft, and if this draft is as good at WR as is advertised, we're going to continue with the youth movement and let the young rookie learn between our 2 vet WRs beside him.

I think our offense was more plagued by youth and an unfamiliarity with each other since our offense was overhauled in the offseason.

I'm most concerned with what we do to replace LoRax and Shaq, who I still think will be gone.

I expect same As last year. Mid tier FA value to plug holes allowing flexibility in the draft. 

positions in no particular order: 

Edge (Perhaps only big splash play) 

Multiple mid tier WRs 

OLB

RB2 

Maybe 1or 2 flexible interior guys 
kicker 

punter 

Rotational DT depth

probably some competition at TE

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

On 1/13/2020 at 9:45 PM, Boatdrinks said:

Probably right . Then maybe TE and OL. Not a ton of quality there at WR, so it will likely have to be a trade situation there to get immediate help. They still need to draft a WR, but they’ve got a bit need there and just a draft pick won’t cover it. 

After the two picks spent on TE + Kroft they are definitely not looking for TEs this year. 

3 hours ago, chongli said:

And the thing is we could have had Mike Evans in 2013 in the draft, but instead chose Sammy Watkins.

No Tampa is never trading us Mike Evans. 

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

beane prioritizes VALUE

you never know who or what position that presents itself.

in a perfect world, i'd say EDGE is top priority

Overall I would say that the value might be there at edge. Even factoring in franchise tags and players resigning there will likely be several prime Edge free agents on the market. I think the market and need for an edge defender (even if Shaq is retained) lines up. Whereas I don't see the value on the WR market. 

Cooper is the only young stud WR on the market (and he has concerns) the rest of the players are older or more questionable less proven younger players. So I think the value might not be there. Then again WR was thought to be a weak market in Free Agency last season and Beane did hand out retail value contracts to Brown and Beasley (They turned out to be good signings but the value for the production they had going into 2019 wasn't a great value for the aav they got.)

I actually trust McBeane (the first time I have ever actually trusted a GM/Coach/Management of the Bills since I have been a fan) if he lets guys walk they weren't a good value and if they bring someone in it makes sense. Granted there have been some bad moves (looking at Kroft and Murphy) but overall they have proven to be excellent at drafting and more than capable in free agency (esp when they have the cash to spend.) 

My hope is they retain 2-3 of their starting free agents (Spain, Shaq, and Phillips) and then add at least 2 starting pieces to help fill some holes going into the draft (Along with some depth/role players to help round out the roster) where they can be in a position to plug in the final remaining 1-2 starting pieces needed and add stronger depth. 

On 1/14/2020 at 9:41 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would love to see the Bills go after Ngakoue or Clowney.  But, my interpretation of what Beane said about “not being players in the deep end of the pool like last year” is that he doesn’t intend to make a splashy FA signing.

That disappoints me, I would like to see one each on offense and defense.

Splashy players don’t necessarily mean more production.

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

My interpretation of that was they won't sign as many players as they did last offseason.... I think they bring in at least one or two real good FAs.

It would be disappointed if they don't and focus solely on depth. They need upgrades at starting positions, not depth. 

So here's an Athletic article discussing the Beane post season presser.

“We probably won’t be spending at the deep end of the pool that we did last year, where we were,” Beane said.

I believe he's referring to Mitch Morse, whom we made the 2nd highest paid center by AAV top-5 or so by about any way you slice it.  Joe B interprets this as " You can never say never, but issuing another big deal for a pass rusher or wide receiver that has multi-year cap ramifications is the type of business Beane wants to avoid in free agency.

“You can get guys that are minimum contract guys. You can get guys that are low-tier type, kind of middle of the road,” Beane said. “Those sometimes are as important or more important than those big-ticket items.”

Joe B points out that John Brown is #24 and Beasley #35 for contract at their position.  He speculates " In 2020 free agency, the Bills will likely look for players of that middle-tier caliber on either short-term deals or contracts they can get out of easily."

I would dearly love to see us make a big play for some high-quality starters on both lines and at TE.  But I don't see it happening from what Beane has said about .  I think they will look for some guys who can start or compete to start, especially if a rookie they draft high proves to need time to get ready.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Don't see how they'd expect to take the next step without adding some star power..... can't just rely on your own and rookies. They need some real quality skill position players and they don't have them on the roster so no, I don't buy Joe Bs interpretation. 

I'd be really surprised if they don't add a high quality starter at WR or defensive line. Gotta spend that cap somewhere and who are they extending outside of Dawkins and maybe Milano this offseason? (I'd argue that neither are worth the big bucks yet.)

I agree with your first.  But I fear Beane is addicted to trying to do "enough" on offense; otherwise, how could he have brought us into 2018 with the OL and skill players we had?

Hopefully Daboll feels well enough established that he can pound on the table and make that point that we need some upgrades to take that next step.