What position does Beane prioritize in FA?

Dkollidas

7 minutes ago, Putin said:

You don't think adding someone like Mike Evens would give us a TRUE # 1 WR that IMO we desperately need AND would solidify our WR core ?

It would but I also spot holes at RB, TE, RT, LG (pending what happens with Spain), DE, OLB and CB. Again, not one player away. 

I think the easiest way for us to make a huge jump next year is to let Spain walk due to kicking Ford inside, and then make a run at Conklin for RT.   That right there, is a very good OL.

Then on defense, let Phillips walk, re-sign Lawson and Johnson, then target Ngakoue.

Higgins in the 1st.  Dobbins in the 2nd.  Linebacker in the 3rd. 

It all seems so simple on paper...

14 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

It would but I also spot holes at RB, TE, RT, LG (pending what happens with Spain), DE, OLB and CB. Again, not one player away. 

Yes we are not one player away , but we were one catch away from moving from Houston to KC  we had to settle for 3 field goals if we score one TD that game would have been OVER , Texans had the worst defense coming in to the playoffs and we could only muster 3 points in the second half ? 

How are we supposed to compete with a teams like KC ? 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1

If you consider Beane's approach to-date, how close we are to competing for a championship and the young core that we have; then I think that he spends on 1-2 playmakers this offseason.

For example, the 49ers added Dee Ford and Emanuel Sanders... I could see something like this happening; then continue to draft well, add a few tier 2 free agents (OL/DB) keep and develop our own.

• Like (+1) 1

Defensive end. Jerry is nearing the end here and a part time player. Shaq is a FA and Lorax (though he is not a DE had rotational reps) is retiring. I do think they may wind up cutting Murphy, simply base on the cap savings and the fact that his production does not match the salary. Maybe ask him to take a pay cut. 

I don't love Yannick Ngakoue's game honestly and don't think he is a great fit for what McDermott wants to do. I also don't think he is a good locker room guy. I know that people think that Clowney is a diva and a selfish guy...I actually think that applies to Ngakoue much more. I think Clowney makes sense, and he is the prototype.  I don't really like Vic Beasley or Dante Fowler much either, in terms of their fit.

Outside of Clowney maybe you can look at the next tier like a Robert Quinn type. I also think Leonard Williams could be interesting as a 4-3 DE if he lost like 15-20lbs. 

So plan A sign Clowney. 

Plan B, sign Leonard Williams and a hybrid guy like Kyler Fackrell/Bruce Irvin. Base downs Williams plays LE and Fackrell/Irvin plays SAM. In passing situations Fackrell goes to DE and Williams goes in side and rushes the passer next to Ed Oliver. You are basically replacing Lorax, Shaq, Murphy and J. Phillips. Just my 2 cents. 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Would be nice to see them being in a guy like Hooper or Ebron.... but yea wouldn't surprise me if they are fine with what they got.... which is average at best. 

Not sure Arizona would let him walk, but I'd love to see them bring in Drake. 

Inside. My guess is LG to replace Spain. They aren't going to give up on a 2nd round pick this early even though it looks like a bad one to this point. 

AJ Brown or DK Metcalf would look real nice right now...

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Would be nice to see them being in a guy like Hooper or Ebron.... but yea wouldn't surprise me if they are fine with what they got.... which is average at best. 

Not sure Arizona would let him walk, but I'd love to see them bring in Drake. 

Inside. My guess is LG to replace Spain. They aren't going to give up on a 2nd round pick this early even though it looks like a bad one to this point. 

It wouldn't be giving up on Ford to move him inside.  If he is, as his scouting report suggested, a potential pro-bowl caliber G, there's nothing wrong with that. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This FO struggles with that.

If we don't put ALL the effort / resources in to improving the offense I will be really disappointed , sick and tired to even talk about defense when our offense is ranked almost next to LAST 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Putin said:

If we don't ALL the effort / resources in to improving the offense I will be really disappointed , sick and tired to even talk about defense when our offense is ranked almost next to LAST 

McD was clear that he thinks this team does not need a "#1 WR", so don't be too surprised or disappointed with more of the same.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

McD was clear that he thinks this team does not need a "#1 WR", so don't be too surprised or disappointed with more of the same.

just think about this 16 points IS ALL we could muster against one of the worst defense  in the league ,  bottom line is this if we can not score 24-27 points a game consistently we are not going ANYWHERE , look at our schedule next season 

We lost 6 games this year if I remember correctly we all sat here and held the offense responsible , to me personally the  one that hurt the most was the pats**** game at home , Cleveland, Baltimore, when we needed one more score and the offense FAILED....

Edited by Putin

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Typically number 1 WR's don't hit free agency. I mean who is the target on offense? Amari Cooper isn't getting to free agency. AJ Green would be nice but what exactly are we getting? I'de rather go through the draft or trade. 

I could see some OL hitting free agency that would help but I think they like their OL.

If you're the bengals AJ green is exactly the guy you keep if you draft burrow.  Assuming some of their offensive linemen don't get injured this time around.

I think what they do with Ford depends First; on what happens with Spain. Second, if Spain leaves what free agents are available and decide to actually come here if they are pursued. 

ultimately I think they bring back Spain and keep Ford at tackle. They trust their coaches to develop the player. He only played one year of college at tackle, flipped between tackle and guard all training camp, and was in the Big12. I think they believe he has RT upside and that they can develop him. 

20 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

From Beane’s comments, I don’t see them

making a big splash at all. Maybe some more depth guys on D and a mid-tier interior linemen. 

Beane hopes he has other GMs as convinced as you with his smoke and mirrors.

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That'd be awful....

Is it common for a GM to lay out his offseason plan to the public before the playoffs are even over? ?

• Like (+1) 2