What position does Beane prioritize in FA?

Dkollidas

FA priorities:

DE/edge

DT - 1-tech especially (McD greatly underestimated the importance of the D-line, as evidenced by the run stopping problems)

OL - RT mostly

RB - though I think the offense skill positions come through the draft

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would love to see the Bills go after Ngakoue or Clowney.  But, my interpretation of what Beane said about “not being players in the deep end of the pool like last year” is that he doesn’t intend to make a splashy FA signing.

That disappoints me, I would like to see one each on offense and defense.

Interesting, my take was almost entirely the opposite of this. I took this to mean that last year we signed a lot of role players and this year would be more towards the difference makers. We shall see, IMO it makes no sense to not go after some "splashy" guys as that is what we lack.

34 minutes ago, papazoid said:

so many needs...

OT - move ford inside

DE - murphy and lawson are out

LB - lorax replacement

WR - need a true #1

RB - need a true #2 

TE - kroft and lee smith are out

CB- need a stud opposite tre de

They have Nsekhe at RT

Why would Murphy be out? He’s performing like a rotational EDGE guy should 

Rotational LB should be an easy 2nd wave fill

Agree on WR

I would be targeting a starting tier RB to pair with Motor. You can get them cheap, there are almost always injuries, and there’s always a good reason to have 2 players that can handle 15 carries per game. Look at SF.

No way are both Kroft and Smith out. Maybe (probably?) Kroft. Smith only saves $2.5M that they don’t really need and they’ll definitely want to keep him as a locker room guy. They’ll probably keep 4 again, and those 4 will be Knox/Smith/Sweeney/Croom.

I’d like another stud CB, but reality says that they can get by just fine with a KJ-level player.

2 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I don't get the obsession with adding to the defense. The Bills should be making the offense the priority in FA and the draft. These playoffs have shown you need to score points to win. The Bills offense didn't do enough of that. 

The Bills have no game-changing edge rushers. Which are extremely important to have in todays NFL. 

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

I agree.  He's not great but he's alright.  WR spot gets most of the attention, rightfully so, but DE is a close second as far as need.  Beane won't dump Murphy unless there are 3 defensive ends on the Bills roster who are better than him.  Currently, they have one - Hughes.

Yup.  A #1 WR is a bigger overall need of the team, but DE should be more pressing in FA.  Just not a lot of options to improve at starting DE where we are sitting in the draft.  We can probably find a rotational guy somewhere, but that’s a crap shoot.  Finding a WR in this draft is the way to go.  So much depth in this class.  We might want to sneak up a little in the first or a lot in the second round to make sure we get our guy, but there’s a lot to chose from.  No need to pay big money to get a FA that isn’t elite since there aren’t any.

RB to back up Singletary shouldn’t be tough to find in FA or the draft.  I’d probably draft one in the middle rounds unless a stud fell to me in the second and WR and OL were in good shape or not good values. 

OL is trickier.  We are going to need to do some real work in both FA and the draft as we have a lot of guys coming off of their contracts.  I’d have no problem going with a big ugly in the first or second and then again later in the draft.

CB doesn’t get mentioned a lot but I’d love to see us bring in another one who is starting caliber.  I’d pony up in FA a bit for that too. 

Additionally DT, LB and S could use some depth.  That 3rd DE is really important.  I don’t think Phillips is going to be worth what he’s going to get paid, but there will be other guys out there.

Oh yeah, I forgot.  I’m always looking for TEs too.  Load up where there’s value.  

Edited by BarleyNY

20 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I don't get the obsession with adding to the defense. The Bills should be making the offense the priority in FA and the draft. These playoffs have shown you need to score points to win. The Bills offense didn't do enough of that. 

Typically number 1 WR's don't hit free agency. I mean who is the target on offense? Amari Cooper isn't getting to free agency. AJ Green would be nice but what exactly are we getting? I'de rather go through the draft or trade. 

I could see some OL hitting free agency that would help but I think they like their OL.

22 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

They have Nsekhe at RT

Why would Murphy be out? He’s performing like a rotational EDGE guy should 

Rotational LB should be an easy 2nd wave fill

Agree on WR

I would be targeting a starting tier RB to pair with Motor. You can get them cheap, there are almost always injuries, and there’s always a good reason to have 2 players that can handle 15 carries per game. Look at SF.

No way are both Kroft and Smith out. Maybe (probably?) Kroft. Smith only saves $2.5M that they don’t really need and they’ll definitely want to keep him as a locker room guy. They’ll probably keep 4 again, and those 4 will be Knox/Smith/Sweeney/Croom.

I’d like another stud CB, but reality says that they can get by just fine with a KJ-level player.

Thank you, people keep wanting to cut Murphy yet we're paying him relatively half what a guy like JJ Watt gets, people act like the $7 million is starters money. He's getting paid for what he does, to toss that aside is foolish unless paying someone less that's as productive which we don't have. 

Kroft and Smith both could be gone if we think Sweeney is the future and we can find a better starter (I'd love to sign Henry). I can't see Croom making this team as think Sweeney has more upside.

A starting caliber CB be nice to add but that's a luxury until we shore up a replacement for LoRax, Shaq, Jordan Phillips and depth at LB.  

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Typically number 1 WR's don't hit free agency. I mean who is the target on offense? Amari Cooper isn't getting to free agency. AJ Green would be nice but what exactly are we getting? I'de rather go through the draft or trade. 

I could see some OL hitting free agency that would help but I think they like their OL.

A guy like Devin Funchess could give us size and while he may not be a true #1 he'd still be better than all but Brown on the roster. Toss in he could be cheap coming off an injury. I'd risk it and draft a guy in the first three rounds to compete (I like Michael Pittman Jr in the 2nd). 

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I agree about the WR position I would actually draft and try a trade maybe with Tampa , what kind of trade for a  WR would you like Bills to go after?

Edited by Putin

27 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I really think this draft particular we should load on skill talent and maybe add LB depth later on ...but free agency we need an edge rusher and possibly a RT to move Cody Ford to guard which he seems better suited to play 

Very good sir.....very good.

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Putin said:

I agree about the WR position I would actually draft and try a trade maybe with Tampa , what kind of trade for a  WR would you like Bills to go after?

I'm sure he's advocating trading for Mike Evans, yet not sure giving up the picks to get him are worth it as we aren't one player away. 

13 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I believe it will he edge rusher.

In his press conference he really got a bit more detailed about how there’s not enough elite pass rushers for each team in the league and how important a position it is. 

I think they realize the defense could be do for a slight regression, and that edge is one of the few places they could make a splash that would change that defense around overnight. 

I also believe there’s better money to be spent on the edge position than any in free agency. Ngakoue, Clowney, Vic Beasley, Dante Fowler, hell Jason Pierre-Paul had 8.5 sacks in 10 games. Robert Quinn, Mario Addison... etc etc. 

I agree with you that edge rusher is the absolute #1 position of need, we have the cap and I believe Jadaveon Clowney will be the target. He said he wants to go to a SB contender and I think this team is on the rise, maybe he'll see it that way also. I think we unload the Murphy contract that has been a bust since signing him as a FA, hey Beane took a swing and missed, it happens. 

I think after edge rusher we go for an OL, LG/RT either one of those positions would help tremendously then see if Ford is even serviceable as a RG or maybe a LT since Dawkins wasn't that great either. All I know is this line at times looked great but also got whipped bad by the Texans in the playoff game. We need at least 2 positions filled along the OL in either FA or the draft or both and to me they are either LG/RT (I was disappointed in Spain and Ford but I think we can kick Ford over to RG but that remains to be seen?.

Our guy seems pretty damn good at finding B players ready to move into A- status.

For the first time in decades I absolutely trust our leadership team to be smart with FA and draft. Mistakes will be made, the nature of the beast, but these guys and the 'growth mindset' philosophy is a self-correcting strategy.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm sure he's advocating trading for Mike Evans, yet not sure giving up the picks to get him are worth it as we aren't one player away. 

You don't think adding someone like Mike Evens would give us a TRUE # 1 WR that IMO we desperately need AND would solidify our WR core ?

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1

I understand that we need to spread the wealth , but I think offense must be our First priority we will not get far with scoring 16 points a game no matter how good our defense is , and BTW didn't we have a # 3 ranked defense this year ? How about our offense ? 

• Like (+1) 1