National Championship Game. Tigers vs Tigers

stevestojan

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Relative to the competition they've faced.

The SEC is the best conference in college football. Burrow faced very good competition all year, although you're certainly onto something saying he had a competitive advantage over pretty much everyone they played. 

Usually I hate guys who play on great teams, but that's beginning to change.

What does Burrow do well:

- Good arm

- Elite accuracy to all levels of the field

- Throws with touch

- Plus mobility

His game translates to the NFL. I think you could plug him into most NFL offenses and he'll be relatively successful. Not saying he'll be a Hall of Famer, but he looks like a guy who could throw for 4,000 yards and 25 TD in the NFL so long as he's on a half decent team. 

(My two cents)

I like Burrow, but I still think the QB position is as hard as it’s ever been to evaluate from an NFL standpoint. 

Part of it is the fact that these QBs are coming into the league incredibly young and fans expectations are outrageous and completely out of line. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

You’re letting NFL careers or recency bias affect your view.... Jim Thorpe, Tony Dorsett, Sammy Baugh, Staubach, Hugh Green, etc likely have greater college legacies. Also, really look at the defensive players (Hugh Green, Charles Woodson, etc)  that won Heisman’s.... There’s usually a reason. 

Also, these guys all played four years of college ball.   No early exits for them...

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JetsFan20 said:

I like Burrow, but I still think the QB position is as hard as it’s ever been to evaluate from an NFL standpoint. 

Part of it is the fact that these QBs are coming into the league incredibly young and fans expectations are outrageous and completely out of line. 

I think it's getting easier to evaluate QBs as the offenses become more and more like the ones in the NFL.

Every QB has some risk, but I think Burrow will be pretty good. Arm, accuracy, mobility, feel for the game, smarts. He's a plus in all of those areas.

Just now, Formerly Allan in MD said:

They introduced Jim Brown as the best player in college football history.  Hell, he's the best football player of all time - a moving nightmare.

Retired on top too.

Have to respect a guy for doing that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

They introduced Jim Brown as the best player in college football history.  Hell, he's the best football player of all time - a moving nightmare.

He’d face a lot more scrutiny in today’s league. I’m not judging, but they’d be looking into his off-field behavior a lot more. Lots of smoke there.... not sure if there’s fire. 

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think it's getting easier to evaluate QBs as the offenses become more and more like the ones in the NFL.

Every QB has some risk, but I think Burrow will be pretty good. Arm, accuracy, mobility, feel for the game, smarts. He's a plus in all of those areas.

You know what's not becoming more and more like the ones in the NFL, the defenses they face when they get to the next level. Totally different world in the schemes they will see. 

Big answer by Clemson. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The results certainly don’t seem to be there. Take a look at the last five QBs to be drafted top 3

Jameis Winston

Marcus Mariota 

Mitch Trubsiky

Baker Mayfield 

Sam Darnold

Kyler Murray

• Like (+1) 1