Wildlife

Jon in Pasadena

On 1/13/2020 at 5:00 PM, Jon in Pasadena said:

A neighbor a couple blocks away caught this last night on their Ring:

https://share.ring.com/6781008973864411432_stamp.mp4

I saw the title and clicked, just fearing it was video from my college days!

So, you live at the zoo? 

We got an email this week that we have coyotes in the neighborhood, just outside of Atlanta. I don’t care if they get the cats, but I’m afraid our Golden Retriever will want to “play” with one. We put food in her bowl twice a day. That’s as “wild” as she understands. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/13/2020 at 5:00 PM, Jon in Pasadena said:

A neighbor a couple blocks away caught this last night on their Ring:

https://share.ring.com/6781008973864411432_stamp.mp4

Kitty!

We don't have anything cool like that.  Deer out the wazoo, foxes, opossum. Standard stuff.  Every couple of years a bear will wander through the area and the whole world loses it's mind.

Edited by That's No Moon

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Our Golden Retriever will want to “play” with one. We put food in her bowl twice a day. That’s as “wild” as she understands. 

Our previous dog King(ston) had an interesting relationship with wildlife which wandered in our yard.

• My wife would take my dog on walks and he would want to chase squirrels every time he saw.  After enough "NOs" he would stop chasing but he also left the squirrels in yard alone.
  • A very large turtle got in our yard and was seriously malnutritoned.  We gave it an area and fed it greens and some fish scraps until it was healthy enough to leave. My dog would wander to turtle area and sniff turtle over "fence" and not know what to do with it.
  • A woodchuck came in yard and my dog had a nose-to-nose conversation which we finally broke up and then the woodchuck left. Largest woodchuck I have ever seen including many zoos.
  • A wounded fawn got into our yard which appeared to have jumped fence but could not jump back out.  My dog chased her around the yard playing and would sometimes lick the wound.  Animal control finally came and took her someplace else.

I think if a coyote got into yard King would have played with it as long as it was willing to play or would do what he did with woodchuck.

Most unusual wildlife I have seen in our yard is a dead lynx caught between two fences on edge of property and died.  We could not get it out without taking down a fence so we just covered it with dirt and leaves so my dog did not try to dig it up and let nature take its course with body.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Our previous dog King(ston) had an interesting relationship with wildlife which wandered in our yard.

• My wife would take my dog on walks and he would want to chase squirrels every time he saw.  After enough "NOs" he would stop chasing but he also left the squirrels in yard alone.
  • A very large turtle got in our yard and was seriously malnutritoned.  We gave it an area and fed it greens and some fish scraps until it was healthy enough to leave. My dog would wander to turtle area and sniff turtle over "fence" and not know what to do with it.
  • A woodchuck came in yard and my dog had a nose-to-nose conversation which we finally broke up and then the woodchuck left. Largest woodchuck I have ever seen including many zoos.
  • A wounded fawn got into our yard which appeared to have jumped fence but could not jump back out.  My dog chased her around the yard playing and would sometimes lick the wound.  Animal control finally came and took her someplace else.

I think if a coyote got into yard King would have played with it as long as it was willing to play or would do what he did with woodchuck.

If the coyote was hungry, King may have had a disappointing experience. Wild animals need to eat. I’m afraid my dog would bring shame on our family if she ever caught up with the neighbors pet cats! 

Our last Golden used to get taunted by deer in our yard who literally wanted to play. She was intimidated by their size, I think. 
“Thanks, but I’ll pass and just hang here by the pool.”  Smart dog, that one. 

16 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Kitty!

We don't have anything cool like that.  Deer out the wazoo, foxes, opossum. Standard stuff.  Every couple of years a bear will wander through the area and the whole world loses it's mind.

Yeah, we get bears too.

A few years back one wandered too close to campus on its morning walk, and I ended up locked into a classroom with a bunch of 3rd graders for an hour 

I would rather have taken my chances with the bear.

Edited by Jon in Pasadena