Wildlife

Jon in Pasadena

36 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I guess people in your neighborhood don’t let their cats out

Cats go missing all the time where I live;  good hunting ground for the coyotes.  Naturally the people who built houses on the coyotes’ mountain are always hysterical and want the city to “do something”

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Cats go missing all the time where I live;  good hunting ground for the coyotes.  Naturally the people who built houses on the coyotes’ mountain are always hysterical and want the city to “do something”

We've been getting those also; saw a big one trotting down the street the other day bold as you please. In the daytime, too.

46 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I guess people in your neighborhood don’t let their cats out

Not more than once.?

49 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Kenya?

Close - about 20 minutes north of Los Angeles.

1 minute ago, Seasons1992 said:

Is seeing a 'roo like seeing a deer here in the States? Just a semi-normal occurance?

Depends where you live.

I am in the city and we don't see them. But if i drive about 30/60 mins towards the "mountains" or outskirts of the city, you will see plenty of them.

We see more seals than kangaroos in the streets :D

35 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

That's one way to keep people from stealing your packages.

A few weeks ago I actually saw a guy on my Ring totally yeet a package off my porch, but I think he probably had just delivered it to my place by accident and realized his mistake.

I guess the motion detector wasn't tuned quite right, because it only picked up the guy removing the package, not placing it there initially.

But yeah, with the lion roaming around, porch pirates had best avoid our neighborhood between dusk to dawn....

Edited by Jon in Pasadena

When I lived in the East SF Bay area (Dublin, CA) they would spot mountain lions occasionally on the arm reserve base over the hill,. About a week or so later, there would be reports of them in the mountains about 2 miles to the west. The only way for them to get there was through my neighborhood.  Through the middle of the neighborhood was a rails to trails. Never walked down that at night.

Was a report of a complete lion skeleton up  in the hills once. The cops found one hit by a car on the side of the interstate.  On that ridge, they would find half eaten deer carcasses. The lions would take a meal up there and watch the cars go by on the interstate. Once a mountain lion showed up about noon in an apartment complex in Pleasanton, CA (where Madden lives). Another time  a mountain lion was spotted at the gate of the Livermore National Lab. The anti-nuke people were doing their yearly demonstration at the gate on Good Friday. The cops warned the demonstrators but they did it anyway.  Yje lion stayed there in place. The cops later shot it and  found out it had broken keg from being hit by a car.

4 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Is seeing a 'roo like seeing a deer here in the States? Just a semi-normal occurance?

Our tour guide the other day called them “nuisance animals.”  Didn’t stop us from ogling when we saw a mob. 

BTW, they taste great! I was surprised... had a kangaroo burger with beet jam and thought it was fabulous.

On 1/13/2020 at 5:47 PM, KD in CA said:

I guess answer "Move to Florida, they do not have coyotes" is not good enough?

wile-coyote-A.jpg?resize=640,388&ssl=1

On 1/13/2020 at 5:59 PM, Seasons1992 said:

I was working outside Canberra in 1995 for 2 months and the damn Roos were far worse than deer where I live.  

I see a deer 2 to 3 times a week.  I had to avoid roo every freaking hour when driving 

• Like (+1) 1